A/F plugs off. One stripped!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick.

Reaction score
I drilled out the plugs over the a/f screws finally and one of the screws is REALLY stripped, to the point of there being two little rounded triangles instead of a thin line for a standard driver.

It will not move at all! I fear my only option is to drill it out which I REALLY am not wanting to do.

Anyone have any ideas or am I stuck with having to drill it out?

You can try PB Blaster. Let soak for a while and then carefully try to wiggle back and forth to see if it moves. Otherwise, Morley has had success drilling those out and re-tapping.

You can try PB Blaster. Let soak for a while and then carefully try to wiggle back and forth to see if it moves. Otherwise, Morley has had success drilling those out and re-tapping.

+1 let it soak for a while, if you can get some mouse milk( no not literally) but it a liquid used in aviation to free up stuck bolt, super good stuff, prob the best stuff you will ever find.

otherwise for sure call sean and let him have a god at it. which carb is it, 3 or 4?

its a real pain doing it trust me i did on two of them and think i my hair became instantly grey from it.

it's the back one on the left side. I'll pick up some pb from work tonight and see what i can do. That's like the only thing keeping my bike from running great. Makes me mad!

I'd warm up the bike, pull it in the garage and then get it leaned over to the opposite side. I've found a chunk cut off a 6x6 post works good if you stick it under the foot peg bracket.

Fill up the hole with PB blaster or your penetrating oil of choice.

Let is soak in while you go out and look for a left hand drill bit, tap and bolt. Find a bushing that will fit in the hole to help guide the drill bit.

After letting it soak for some time, try the screwdriver again. If you get no love, I'd put the bushing in there, and do the left hand drill bit trick. Don't drill too deep into the brass of the screw.

If the bit doesn't walk it out use the left hand tap.

If the tap doesn't walk it out put the bolt in and try that.

If none of that works send it to Sean.

A bit, tap, bolt and bushing should be less than $30. It will cost near that just to ship it so its worth a shot trying it yourself if you're in a hurry to get on the road. If you're not in a hurry, I'd just wait for Sean to come back in a couple weeks.

If you want me to have a chance to fix it don't drill it. Do about anything else you want but unless you have a bushing to get the hole virtually in the perfect center you'll reduce my chance of success by a lot.

Sean

hey man i did it on two carbs and all i can say is dont fuck with it send it to sean unless your a good machinist, trust me not worth the headache

I was thinking of using some jb weld and hacking the head of another screw of similar size off then holding it in place on the stripped screw . Could that be a possible solution?

I was thinking of using some jb weld and hacking the head of another screw of similar size off then holding it in place on the stripped screw . Could that be a possible solution?

sounds like a idea, not sure how it would work, if you could do it then maybe try a longer piece that came to a t-handle, easier to hold while it dried then you can just turn it out like that......just a idea.:ummm:

Looks like it might work. I've used reverse bits before and they can work. Haven't tried one on the carbs before.

Sean

i started out with left hand drill bits, buddy of mine done it lots on other carb's or small had to get at pieces and always seemed to work for him. Not this time for me but found out later it was the tip was dammed in there, ended up using a #60 drill bit by hand, well holding it in my fingers and twisting it and got a good center point, then lots of cursing and kicking, tons of fluid film and what ya know it decided to fall right out the last chunk............

my advise dont mess with it and send it off i got real lucky but did mess up a couple of threads a little so not sure how long it will work.

Back