A few issues while starting??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmartone

Reaction score
Hi. I'm pretty new here. I've been reading most of the posts and just wanted some clarification on a starting problem thats slowly getting worse. After the bike is at operating temp, It's hard to get started again. (Seems very hard for the starter to turn over, and when it does, it is very slow to the point that It just wont turnover). Is this a Regulator Rectifier problem? (once again only when hot) and, While starting, it sometimes makes a Skipping / crunching / noise?? Is this the starter clutch going? FYI, The battery is new since last season. I don't get to ride that often, and this bike has been bored to 1370 from a professional shop here in Vancouver.:ummm:

Thanks for this!

Hey, Thanks Jim, It does sound like Marbles, and I'm already looking forward to changing it out. By the way, I used to work at the KOA campgrounds on Lundys lane in Niagara falls for a couple of summers till I moved to BC.:worthy:

Also a low amp battery will cause the starter to make this sound and think your starter clutch is acting up.
I had a panosonic battery and mine would make the same noise sounding like crunch clang crunch clang and wouldnt even spin the motor sometime. It was the battery causing this.
Also hard starting is from the known problem where the 3 wires come together in a spade connect. the fix is to remove the 3 wire spade connector and solder them together. There is a post somewhere around.

The low amps on battery would go hand in hand with the lack of riding his summer. I've been thinking of keeping a trickle charge on it every couple of weeks or so, And I'll dig around for the 3cross wire you had mentioned. Thanks, I'll let you know how things panout.

The low amps on battery would go hand in hand with the lack of riding his summer. I've been thinking of keeping a trickle charge on it every couple of weeks or so, And I'll dig around for the 3cross wire you had mentioned. Thanks, I'll let you know how things panout.

If you give me a min I will send you the link.

Tools needed:
  • Wrenches and screwdriver (to remove front seat section and rear ignition coil assy)
  • Soldering iron and solder
  • Electrical tape
  • Optional - Electrical multimeter (for measuring charging circuit before/after)
One of the very first things all Vmax owners should do is correct a factory wiring harness issue which impedes the Vmaxes charging system from doing it's job. The issue is a crimped splice in the red power wire between the regulator/rectifier and the main fuse block which can cause resistance and a resulting voltage drop (Figure 1 below). It is located in the wiring harness directly behind the battery (under the front seat section) in a taped-up section of the harness. Many owners report a full one volt increase at battery during charging (when bike is running) by just soldering this connection. Older bikes seem to benefit more from this modification. All Vmax owners should perform this fix.
crimp.4.jpg

Figure 1 - diagram showing electrical location of 'crimp'
Perform following steps to correct 'splice' issue:
1) Remove front seat section from motorcycle
2) OPTIONAL - Start the motorcycle and measure the voltage across the battery while bike is running. This is the charging voltage.
3) Remove 2 10mm bolts holding rear coil assy (Figure 2 below). You will need to unplug some of the various electrical connectors which limit the rear coil assy from moving so you can get underneath to the taped area of the harness
crimp.1.jpg

Figure 2 - Picture of area under the front seat section

4) Follow the 'culprit' wire into the wiring harness to locate area where electrical tape needs to be removed (Figure 3 below)
crimp.2.jpg

Figure 2 - Picture shows routing of 'culprit' wire into harness under
rear coil assy (rear coil assy is lifted up for this picture)
5) Remove electrical tape from the harness until the red 'culprit' wire and 'splice' area are visible (figure 4 below)
crimp.3.jpg

Figure 4 - The 'crimp' exposed
6) Solder the crimped connection making sure adequate solder flows into the 'crimp'
7) Re-tape the harness with good electrical tape
8) Plug in any electrical connectors that were previously unplugged, re-install the rear coil assy with 2 10mm bolts
9) OPTIONAL - Start motorcycle and measure the voltage across the battery. Note any difference from step 2 above (if performed)
10) Re-install front seat section and go for a long ride, stopping only to eat, fuel up, or, well, you know. Have fun!

I can't remember, what year did they go to the 4 pole starters? They also make a big difference in ease of starting. You have a 98, so I'm pretty sure you have a 4 pole. Also get a multi-meter and let us know the voltage at the battery while the bike is running.

My date code is 12/95 on the frame and shows 1996 on the registration i assume this is a 1996 and do not need to do this mod?

My date code is 12/95 on the frame and shows 1996 on the registration i assume this is a 1996 and do not need to do this mod?

I did this mod on my 2006. Everyone has this crimp and needs to do it.

Hey Paul, Go out and get yourself a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. and leave it hooked to the bike 24/7 365. It makes battery's last several years longer than without in most cases. I have an 11 year old battery in my P/U truck and it starts great!

Well, the battery reads 12.05 v just sitting there. While the bike is running at 2500 rpm it reads 13.1 v. Do you think I should charge it over night? I'll do the 3 wire fix this weekend and see if I reach 14 v while running. And
FYI, I'm incompetent on the year of my 98 vmax,,,,. which is actually 97. Sorry,. I dont know where 98 came from but will that make any differnce with the starter?

Is there any external difference between a 2 pole starter and a 4 pole?
I see lots of starters on the Bay of E, but can't tell what one they are...

I don't need a starter yet, but you never know......

Don't know exactly where to post this. I am looking for a good starter clutch assy for a '89. The three bolts came loose and cracked the thing. The gears eventually just spun. Thanks.

Back