Adjust Stock Rear Springs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmakatt

Reaction score
When I bought my 06 last year it didn't come with the tool kit. I've never adjusted the stock rear shocks and I think it's about time I tried. What kind of wrench can I use without damaging the shock and do you guys have any suggestions as to the setting for a 225lb rider with about 20 lbs of gear. I'll be ordering some PS rear and fronts in a few months regardless..

Thanks guys .

I had mine at 3 and 3. The rebound I believe is the chrome top of the shock, and you can just twist it. The dampening...you stick a screwdriver into a hole on the side of the shock, and twist the bottom portion of the shock. You will see the numbers come into view if i remember right.

Um, the holes are the preload adjustment on the coil-over, and the top-twisting changes damping internally.

I had mine at 3 and 3. The rebound I believe is the chrome top of the shock, and you can just twist it. The dampening...you stick a screwdriver into a hole on the side of the shock, and twist the bottom portion of the shock. You will see the numbers come into view if i remember right.

Thanks guys.. So using a screwdriver will work? It won't damage them than??

Thanks guys.. So using a screwdriver will work? It won't damage them than??

I used the phillips that came in the tool kit. I believe that's what it said in the manual (although I'm batting 0-2 for the night)..lol

Cheers Hawk.. You've given me great advice before I disappeared.
Good to be back.

KarmaKatt

A phillips screw driver will work. if you have assorted punches, grab on that fits snug in the hole. Less chance of accidentally slipping out and scratching something. If they've never been adjusted it may take a little effort to turn them.

Hawk-
I stayed away really because I need to tame the monkey.. My mind races with ideas when I listen to you pro's.. I'm also wondering what the 2015 30th anniversary will be like??

LOL...I understand about the monkey...I've spent WAY too much money over the last couple of months.

I wonder if the 2015 will have flames??

A phillips screw driver will work. if you have assorted punches, grab on that fits snug in the hole. Less chance of accidentally slipping out and scratching something. If they've never been adjusted it may take a little effort to turn them.

I'm not sure that using a punch is a good idea. They are hardened to a different standard and will snap more readily than a screwdriver. The Yamaha handbook tells you to use the provided screwdriver in the tool kit (not an option for you of course) but any snug fitting phillips head should do the trick.

Chris.

I had the same issue with the missing toolkit. I used the short end of an allen wrench on mine. Worked like a charm.
:)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back