Afr questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
So, I've got my wideband datalogger installed, and was wondering what Afrs i should be looking for at what range at wot. I'm guessing I should be shooting for 13-13-5? I've gotten tired of guessing on this thing.

12.7-13.3 typically makes the most power. Some like the richer side of the graph for more torque.

At dyno day at Thunder. Stock engines running on the rich side, made the most power.
Every one tells me mine should be rich with the jetting I have . My bike has never been on a dyno & I could care less about numbers. I do know what it does on the strip & what works & does not work on the strip. I have seen t many people change stuff on a dyno that hurts them on the strip. I am sure I am gonna get slammed for this one but dyno's are good for AF ratios & Guys that want to brag about HP not so great in the real time drag racing world.

I just want mine to run cleanly through redline. The power will be close enough for me. I've also seen people that made improvements at the strip after the dyno. Just saying.

Every one tells me mine should be rich with the jetting I have . My bike has never been on a dyno & I could care less about numbers. I do know what it does on the strip & what works & does not work on the strip. I have seen t many people change stuff on a dyno that hurts them on the strip. I am sure I am gonna get slammed for this one but dyno's are good for AF ratios & Guys that want to brag about HP not so great in the real time drag racing world.

Well said, by calculating weight and trap speed is the only real way to determine horsepower anyway... Dyno's can point you in the right direction but the track is what matters :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I agree with Kyle's statement...a/f reads and HP from a Dyno aren't the end all of tuning...especially for solving drive ability issues....

They are a very good tool for diagnosis if used that way....which most dyno operators don't do, most people wanting a Dyno just want to see top HP.
A WOT throttle pull from a few 1000 to redline isn't gonna tell you crap about how the bike is going to operate under other loads and throttle conditions.

I do believe a personal a/f setup is invaluable for tuning drive ability if only for the reason that determining whether you rich or lean is so damn subjective,

That's probably a crutch for not having the "feel" or "touch" to be able to know if something "acts" rich or lean, and I'm sure there's guys who have the artists touch get it right without one...but I don't.....plus I smoked a really expensive motor years ago before I realized my hearing is so screwed up I can not hear spark knock or detonation.

It portable or mounted meter also allows you to get an overall real time and continuous read under every operating condition and build a plan on how to approach adjusting things. Something you'll never get on a Dyno unless you have unlimited use of it.

At dyno day at Thunder. Stock engines running on the rich side, made the most power.

what were the a/f numbers and related hp

what are they concidering rich and what do you find works best. yet to get mine to the track.....

what were the a/f numbers and related hp

what are they concidering rich and what do you find works best. yet to get mine to the track.....
I am running a stage 7 with the vboost still hooked up. I have the slides drilled with the stock springs. I am running Mikuni 165 mains , 190 Paj2, 40 pilots & cant remember if my needle is n the 3rd or 4th clip as I changed them a few times at the track & did not right it down

I question the accuracy of the sniffer on that dyno. It seems everyone that walked away was told they were running rich.

Bob's got a wide band on his. Were the readings close Bob? I agree, strapped down on a dyno and running aren't the same. Plug/exhaust read and seat of the pants works ok for me. Plus, running comparisons to other similarly equipped bikes is the best test. imho. I watched the exhaust on every run instead of the numbers. There was a rich top end condition on many Vmaxs.

I question the accuracy of the sniffer on that dyno. It seems everyone that walked away was told they were running rich.

Bob's got a wide band on his. Were the readings close Bob? I agree, strapped down on a dyno and running aren't the same. Plug/exhaust read and seat of the pants works ok for me. Plus, running comparisons to other similarly equipped bikes is the best test. imho. I watched the exhaust on every run instead of the numbers. There was a rich top end condition on many Vmaxs.

Numbers he gave me showed I was dipping to 9.6 to 1. My wideband shows me that I am steadily running mid 13's when cruising, and low to mid12's when wide open. I went a clip leaner on my needle to see what it would do when I got home from thunder and it ran like shite, so I went back to 4th from blunt. Like Mike said, I think his sniffer was shot. Bike runs fantastic and scares the crap outta me so I guess its good!

Plug/exhaust read and seat of the pants works ok for me. Plus, running comparisons to other similarly equipped bikes is the best test.
LOL, I would say so since you got better HP #'s than I did! You dog:biglaugh:!!

Yeah it was a good time for sure. We enjoyed the ride up to the "mountain top" where the hang glider ramp was. What a view!

Back