air up reservoir shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddo

Reaction score
I bought those Chinese made piggyback shocks on ebay and they're soft. I weigh 200 pounds and i've been bottoming out. I sent a question to the ebay seller. He said the shocks are filled with the lowest pressure because of shipping. What i want to know is do i have to fill the shocks with only nitrogen or can i use air??? And what are the minimum and maximum pressures to run. The shocks came with no instructions:confused2:

I bought those Chinese made piggyback shocks on ebay and they're soft. I weigh 200 pounds and i've been bottoming out. I sent a question to the ebay seller. He said the shocks are filled with the lowest pressure because of shipping. What i want to know is do i have to fill the shocks with only nitrogen or can i use air??? And what are the minimum and maximum pressures to run. The shocks came with no instructions:confused2:

I'd stick with nitrogen, heat generated by the shocks working won't effect the pressure like it would with just plain ol air. Here is a neat page that goes into detail. While looking around I found some forums where ppl are putting in between 150-180psi of nitrogen, But they were talking about Ohlins.

http://www.krankin.co.nz/_sgg/m6m9s1_1.htm

It took me quite some time before I found out who made those shocks. They are made for a scooter and not any kind of weighted bike. The springs are just not going to cut it. Many have had problems with them. We ended up putting them on a Fazer which is 200lbs lighter then the max.

Sean

Good feed back,...I was wondering about these as well...How did you fit them on the Fazer Sean?,...did you have to cut the rear plastic to get them to fit ?

I'd stick with nitrogen, heat generated by the shocks working won't effect the pressure like it would with just plain ol air. Here is a neat page that goes into detail. While looking around I found some forums where ppl are putting in between 150-180psi of nitrogen, But they were talking about Ohlins.

http://www.krankin.co.nz/_sgg/m6m9s1_1.htm

I'd find the manufacturer and get the max pressure BEFORE you go pumping those baby's up.
I test propane Hoses with Nitrogen all the time at work. And if those fuckers blow you are NOT going to be wanting to be standing next to them.
150 psi doesn't seem like a lot, but when you trap it, it can get pretty damn violent.
We use a steel box for testing hoses, and it still scares the living shit out of everyone at work when they do blow.

I'd find the manufacturer and get the max pressure BEFORE you go pumping those baby's up.
I test propane Hoses with Nitrogen all the time at work. And if those fuckers blow you are NOT going to be wanting to be standing next to them.
150 psi doesn't seem like a lot, but when you trap it, it can get pretty damn violent.
We use a steel box for testing hoses, and it still scares the living shit out of everyone at work when they do blow.

No shit, when I was a firefighter I've seen noobs refilling 4500 psi airpacks, and when they went up it wasn't pretty.

Thats why I mentioned they were talking about Ohlins, that number is in thier specs, other shocks who knows may top out at 60

:clapping::th_signs42:An update. I went down to a motorcycle shop that airs up nitrogen shocks. I told him i wanted to increase the pressure in mine, he bled all the pressure out then aired it up from 0. He said he accidently went up to 200psi. And it held. But both shocks are now set at 150psi, and so far so good. No blown seals and it rides well.

I have fournales rear shocks on my bike and they recommend 176 psi in each side but really only start working whenI am two up.The shocks barely move when I bounce the rear end.

Latest posts

Back