Alaska 2010 or bust ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KJ the flier is a great idea and thanks for all the other preparations too. Woot for the spare rooms dibbs!:eusa_dance:
That sounds good Jim, I like the 600 mile/ day figure, gives us more options to see sights and relax a bit.
+ to joining up to the social group, if you're along the route were taking speak up so we can meet up to talk Vmax and ride a while.

Just updated mileage and fuel stops. Its in the AK or bust group.

I didn't get past Whitehorse as I'm not familiar with anything beyond. Once the info is assembled, I'll add it to the flyer.

Just updated mileage and fuel stops. Its in the AK or bust group.

I didn't get past Whitehorse as I'm not familiar with anything beyond. Once the info is assembled, I'll add it to the flyer.

right out of whitehorse at 100 miles or 160km you got Haines Junction. I cant remember all the others after, i just did the drive also, but they are few and far. for sure easier to have a chase truck with lots of fuel and also from the junction to about Tok, huge frost heaves in the road, might get a little air going thru there. Im sure having the truck/trailer would be helpful when the old back needs a break.

right out of whitehorse at 100 miles or 160km you got Haines Junction. I cant remember all the others after, i just did the drive also, but they are few and far. for sure easier to have a chase truck with lots of fuel and also from the junction to about Tok, huge frost heaves in the road, might get a little air going thru there. Im sure having the truck/trailer would be helpful when the old back needs a break.

I did the run, from Whitehorse to home back in '07. It's about 100 miles, from the greatest burger joint in the world, to Haines Junction.

I gassed up, then headed for Tok, I didn't find the Road through the rest of the YT all that bad, they had redone a good portion of it. Destruction bay area was nice.

But true, once you get into Alaska there are frost heaves everywhere. After Delta Junction, the road will get pretty nice again all the way in.

We'll have to stop at Delta meats and snack on some reindeer,elk,moose,yak sausage and a beverage.

ya for sure, guess it changes lots thru out the year, was real nice and smooth after Tok.

Looking forward to the ride!!! Need to find a driver for the truck/trailer. Jodi is going to fly into Whitehorse and meet us there. That is unless she decides to ride the Spyder that she is looking at. Might just see if in the group we can just rotate out the truck driver and switch out the bikes when we trade up drivers.

I most likely will not be able to go, unfortunately.:bang head: Short of me winning the lottery its severe lack as funds that's holding me back.:damn angry: It is a trip of a lifetime for sure and KJ has some great plans in store for those get to make this trip. :punk:
I may be able to ride along for a few days in the begining and maybe meet up on the return trip. Keep me in the loop Jim so I can plan accordingly.

Just a heads up guys...a chase truck hauling a barrel or two of gasoline is going to be subject to a bunch of ICC regs, plackards, fire extinguishers, shit like that.

Don't want your mechanical life-line red tagged beside the road somewhere! :bang head:

Just a heads up guys...a chase truck hauling a barrel or two of gasoline is going to be subject to a bunch of ICC regs, plackards, fire extinguishers, shit like that.

Don't want your mechanical life-line red tagged beside the road somewhere! :bang head:

The last time I checked, it was about 110 gals of gas before you need to placard up. I'm not sure about Canada regs.

I'll make a few calls tomorrow and see what I see.
It might be somewhere in here too. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

I just got off the phone with Rex Young, the head guy up here for DOT Truck enforcement.

I told him about the ride and the fuel needs. He informed me that no placard is needed for 119gals. his words "120 will get you in trouble, your good to go with 119."

I'm also going to amend the fuel stop post on the AK or but 2010 group thread as well.

dont want to think about that. time to start filling the tidy tank full of fuel for the bike.

dont want to think about that. time to start filling the tidy tank full of fuel for the bike.

I'm surprised, we're not seeing much of any change in the cost per gal. yet. Figured they would have jumped on this as a perfect excuse, at least a week ago!

Kinda makes you wonder if this may turn into a far bigger deal than they're saying! :confused2:

It certainly has the potential for that!! :punk:

think the US buck being lower then usual against the euro or cdn is taking front stage, but knock on wood they dont decide to jack the price up just yet.

Ya I think I filled up for 2.79 a gallon yesterday... I need to get my company car back on the road... This fuel cost is killing me... lol

Chris

Latest posts

Back