Alaska 2010 or bust ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you saw one of these you would see why they cost what they do. I really like the idea of it releasing immediately when you touch the brake. Single button activation to set it and a push button release too.

Your Slipstreamer sounds better than mine - you got any pics of the bike with it on? I know what you mean about the heat - same problem here in FL in the summer especially. But I'd still rather be a little bit hot than have no protection from wind, bugs and noise on my 90-mile highway run to work.. :biglaugh:

I added some pics. I am thinking of selling it if anyone is interested. I had to fab some bracket extensions for the lower mounts even though it is supposed to be V-Max specific. It is so quiet that you can hear every noise the engine, exhaust, clutch and drivetrain makes....

Attachments

• WS Front 2.jpg
    WS Front 2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 32
  • WS Back.jpg
    WS Back.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 29
  • WS Brackets.jpg
    WS Brackets.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 27
Hmmm all this talk of comfort can get a guy thinking. Will have to look into a pad for my Max to use on the trip. My seat is a cut down stocker that hasn't given me monkey butt yet (did 5k km in 8 days on it), but why take the risk. As I plan to have a one-up tail on Snowmax by the trip a Corbin is out of the question. Ear plugs are a good idea, especially for anyone right behind me LOL. Am considering a bar snake to lessen the vibration and I am definately getting a "Brake Away" throttle boss. Be nice to be able to take the right hand off of the grip too. Here is a link to it: http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/appguide-5CP02.html spendy but worth it.

Just picked up a 5CP02 through these folks CruiserCustomizing.com on sale for $179.99 + $6.95 shpg. total $186.90. Saved $23 over Brake-Away price. :clapping:

Another way (and cheaper) to lessen bar vibration is to fill the bar with lead shot. I have used shotgun shell buckshot as it fills all the cavities better. It really dampens vibration. Just be careful as it really makes a mess if you spill on the floor. Will NEVER find all the shot!! :doh:

Thanks for the reminder Don, I've been meaning to do that for years. Even Kuryakyn grips don't eliminate all the vibes.

Haven't done it on the Max as the vibration isn't that bad. Might be good if you have solid motor mounts though. Did it on my Bandit for those famous in-line four high frequency vibes. Pretty much eliminated them.

I used to have an evil vibration that would totally kill my hands. Really noticeable after the solid motor mounts.

I took Chris' 4gasmy avice and splurged on the bar snake. Night and day difference and I'm still using the stock grips.

I had a look at your trip map and noticed you will be going cross Canada as well. I live in Saskatchewan, Regina. If you need a rest stop and a meal, let me know. I am a caterer and have a place where you can have lunch and a rest, with lunch being on me. Depending if it is a over night stop this can become supper and you guys would be welcome to crash a my house for the night to help keep costs down. Would most likely join in the ride for a while. I am not sure about the whole trip. I will offer any help I can give as you go through Saskatchewan.

Grant

I had a look at your trip map and noticed you will be going cross Canada as well. I live in Saskatchewan, Regina. If you need a rest stop and a meal, let me know. I am a caterer and have a place where you can have lunch and a rest, with lunch being on me. Depending if it is a over night stop this can become supper and you guys would be welcome to crash a my house for the night to help keep costs down. Would most likely join in the ride for a while. I am not sure about the whole trip. I will offer any help I can give as you go through Saskatchewan.

Grant

Thanks alost for the invite Grant!, On my profile there is a social group all about the ride and its progression. Feel free to join up, even if you can't make the journey.

I'm not going to make all of it myself, I'm already here :biglaugh:. but Myself and a couple others here are planning on meeting the group in Whitehorse, YT. and ride the rest of the way in with them.

Thank-you for the generous offer Grant, very much appreciated! :thumbs up: I'm sure it will be a welcomed stop for us.
It will be great too if you could ride along with us for a while, always glad to ride with a Vmax brother!:punk:

I can add to Grants offer and invite you guys to stop by if you pass through Calgary. I can help with the Alberta leg of the trip, and provide a rest stop or food if necessary. If you`re thirsty there is a big fridge full of refreshments too.

Jarrett

i'd def be interested in this once the details are sorted out a bit. is everyone meeting somewhere n then going up to KJ's? i read thru his blog but didnt' see much on where leaving from..

ahha also KJ, you should order like maybe 5 -10 shinko's ready for when they (we) all get there eh?

Think the initial plan is to meet up at my place by Kincardine, Ontario and head out from there.

gotcha.. thats about 650 miles from my house, 400 from my folks...

not too bad...

what would the timeframe be? total time allotted?

I probably just join the ride as it heads west from Jim's. I think I will be pressed a bit for vacation time so if I can save a day by not driving east, that would be good for me.
I think generally we are going to travel from southern Ontario (I think north around the great lakes?). Heading west across the provinces in a west/ northwesterly direction towards Whitehorse, YT where we meet up with KJ and his contingent. We will then head to Fairbanks for fun and festivities.
The return trip will cover some of the same roads until we get back down into Alberta. Once into Alberta will take a more directly south route to maybe include a quick trip through Banff/Glacier/Yellowstone/ Black Hills senic type places. The remainder of the trip will be through the upper portion of the U.S. until we one by one divert to head home.

I probably just join the ride as it heads west from Jim's. I think I will be pressed a bit for vacation time so if I can save a day by not driving east, that would be good for me.
I think generally we are going to travel from southern Ontario (I think north around the great lakes?). Heading west across the provinces in a west/ northwesterly direction towards Whitehorse, YT where we meet up with KJ and his contingent. We will then head to Fairbanks for fun and festivities.
The return trip will cover some of the same roads until we get back down into Alberta. Once into Alberta will take a more directly south route to maybe include a quick trip through Banff/Glacier/Yellowstone/ Black Hills senic type places. The remainder of the trip will be through the upper portion of the U.S. until we one by one divert to head home.

epic.. wow... thats about 10k miles for me all in all it looks like. thatd be a couple weeks at least eh? doing some quick numbers...

low average speed, low amount of driving (50 mph 8hrs a day) thats 25 days...
high average speed, high amount of driving.. (65 mph, 14 hrs a day) thats 10 days...

so i assume its somewhere between that? i've never done a long trip so my #'s could be way off...

I have never done a trip of this magnitude either. I am going to prepare with a bunch of high mileage trips to get my gear down to the essentials (tend to overpack) and make sure all my gear is well tested. I think having the saddle time so my arse is conditioned is going to be the biggest hurdle.
As far as the trip daily mileage goes...going to depend on a few things all which affects daily mileage:
1) We can only ride each day as far as the group can stand - hopefully be able to push a 700+ mile day if need be. Probably should average around 500 miles/ day.
2) Sightseeing will limit the mileage we can cover on those days. This will go with the route we take, some days our travel may be limited by cool stuff we want to check out. Probably most of the stops should be planned with a little extra time left for unexpected gems.
3) Trouble with bikes (probably will happen:confused2:) Need to prepare well in advance to minimize downtime.
4) $$ plenty of advance planning here as well. Should have a daily cost for food, drink, lodging, gas. Planning for a extra set of tires/ oil change once we KJ's stomping grounds. Also a fund in case of emergencies, should they arise.
These are my opinions.... subject to change to fit the groups needs... may have missed some things... feel free to add to / correct my ideas.
It should be a blast and a great riding experience.

I'm currently working on a flyer that contains information on what to expect, places to stay upon arrival. Redbone and Jim got dibs on my guest rooms (damn that was quick :rofl_200:), The flyer will be in .pdf form and I'll post it once I get it finished later on this week.

All the information will include web addresses and phone numbers. As soon as the dates get more finalized, I'll be able to get more deals sealed, I'm working on getting group discounts at some places.

So far we have awards, dyno time, a nice ice breaker with live music, an interior motorcycle tour of historic sites and more on the way I'm still talking with a few other motorcycle shops. I've spoken with a very good samoan friend of mine, and he's up for an old school pig roast for us.

This is my first time hosting, so I'm double and triple checking everything.

I'll be making the 600 miles trip to Whitehorse a day or two early to meet up with you all.

If others wan't to know whats going on, going, or on the fence about going join up this social group :biglaugh: to see whats going on.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/group.php?groupid=1

Gents,

I have been working on a basic itinerary to give us a reasonable travel time there and back. Figuring ~600 miles a day give or take with a couple of "rest" days each direction. Don't want to see anyone with a serious case of monkey butt so we will definately be stopping over a couple of times each way. As I have a bit of time right now I might start looking at firming up some stops etc.

Back