Almost made a huge mistake

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transam

Reaction score
Well guys I almost did it, Almost sold my baby ! The wife hasn't
been to happy with the ride on the Max and honestly comfort on
the highway especially 2 up is lacking. I had been looking at a
Goldwing but after straddling the monster I just couldn't see
myself cruising it back and forth 2 work. IT'S HUGE !!!! So now
I'm looking at doing some mods over the next 6 months.
The issues that need addressing are
1. Storage: I have a grantour bag but need to add some saddlebags.
2. Windprotection: Looking at a Plexistar 2 windshield.

And most importantly the Rpm's at 75 mph cruising speeds.
5000 rpm is just to high for extended riding and it also causes
handlebar buzz.
I was thinking of a Venture rear differential. Has anyone done this
swap and if so is it a straight bolt in and if so how many r's will
it drop me ?

I know Sean offers an overdrive tranny but I just can't afford the
$700. I found a diff on e-bay for $200.

So begin's my journey to build a Vmax tour machine !
Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Chris

It can be done, a friend of mine rides his max everywhere. He's getting ready to do about 1000 mile run on it next week.

I'll ask him where he got his bags, to me they look great. He loves them.

here is some pics of his ride

Attachments

• Vmaxii_2.jpg
    Vmaxii_2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Maxes.jpg
    Maxes.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 85
Thanks KJ,
Do you know what the Max tachs at at 75mph with the
Venture diff ?
Thanks,
Chris

....I know how tight money is these days.....TRUST ME!!......

But.........There is NO law that says you can only have ONE bike at a time.......Keep Max and find a deal on a nice used machine that will fill your touring needs.......That's my plan when I get out of this Depression...........Just my 2 cents........

hey Chris,

yea, check out my bike. I use the Hellfire windshield and it makes a BIG difference. They cost about $125 but can sometimes be found cheaper used.
Found it for only $106 here: http://www.cycleshopusa.com/p1846.htm

The FatMax saddle bags are great - they are hard bags that look great on the Max, they are totally waterproof and quite spacey. I hear they are expensive though - mine came with the bike so I wouldn't know.

I still need more storage, so I'm going to fit a top-box on the rear. Richwrench made me a lil' rack I'm going to bolt onto my grab rail, and then I have a Givi 35 liters box I brought with me from the UK to stick there. Nice thing about it is that it also becomes a backrest for your pillion!

I use the Venture pumpkin. Basically you're looking at 500 rpm less across the range - not much of an improvement but it helps. Here are the rpm readings:

3500 = 55mph
4000 = 65
4500 = 75
5000 = 85
5500 = 95
6000 = 105
6500 = 115
7000 = 125
7500 = 135
never been able to go above that. It prolly could, but slowly rising and I usually run out of cop-free road to do so. :confused2:

To be honest I would also prefer to have Sean's overdrive, but can't afford it either. I believe the overdrive drops top gear by about 1500rpm, that way I would keep the Max pumpkin for the acceleration in the first four gears.. Who knows, if I eventually end up taking that spare Venture engine I have apart, it may have the Venture tranny already and I could go to 1300cc. But I need time and money to do that, as well as somewhere to actually do it! One day maybe..

Hope this helps!

hey Chris,

yea, check out my bike. I use the Hellfire windshield and it makes a BIG difference. They cost about $125 but can sometimes be found cheaper used.

The FatMax saddle bags are great - they are hard bags that look great on the Max, they are totally waterproof and quite spacey. I hear they are expensive though - mine came with the bike so I wouldn't know.

I still need more storage, so I'm going to fit a top-box on the rear. Richwrench made me a lil' rack I'm going to bolt onto my grab rail, and then I have a Givi 35 liters box I brought with me from the UK to stick there. Nice thing about it is that it also becomes a backrest for your pillion!

I use the Venture pumpkin. Basically you're looking at 500 rpm less across the range - not much of an improvement but it helps. Here are the rpm readings:

3500 = 55mph
4000 = 65
4500 = 75
5000 = 85
5500 = 95
6000 = 105
6500 = 115
7000 = 125
7500 = 135
never been able to go above that. It prolly could, but slowly rising and I usually run out of cop-free road to do so. :confused2:

To be honest I would also prefer to have Sean's overdrive, but can't afford it either. I believe the overdrive drops top gear by about 1500rpm, that way I would keep the Max pumpkin for the acceleration in the first four gears.. Who knows, if I eventually end up taking that spare Venture engine I have apart, it may have the Venture tranny already and I could go to 1300cc. But I need time and money to do that, as well as somewhere to actually do it! One day maybe..

Hope this helps!

Thanks Naughty,
Sounds like you and I are on the same page. I can't afford to have 2
bikes and the wife doesn't ride. I have no garage so it's tough enough
to find a place for the 1 bike. It's either get this one where I want
or move to something else. The Honda st1100 is nice. I think if by
following your path naughty I can get close to want I want. Show
a pic of that Givi when its mounted and thanks for all the info.
Chris

fatmax bags are expensive. i run the rally pack by dowco. $130 for a magnet tank bag, tail bag and 2 saddle bags. got a few compliments from folks on the brownie run, they work well w/the bike as well. plus easy to fit them and the lady. my girl never had a problem with them.

hey Chris,

3500 = 55mph
4000 = 65
4500 = 75
5000 = 85
5500 = 95
6000 = 105
6500 = 115
7000 = 125
7500 = 135

Hope this helps!

That's what my bike turns for RPM's at a given speed......

Maybe I have a Venture diff??????:confused2:

fatmax bags are expensive. i run the rally pack by dowco. $130 for a magnet tank bag, tail bag and 2 saddle bags. got a few compliments from folks on the brownie run, they work well w/the bike as well. plus easy to fit them and the lady. my girl never had a problem with them.

Did you do the turnsignal relocate or will the fit with the stock signals ?

That's what my bike turns for RPM's at a given speed......

Maybe I have a Venture diff??????:confused2:

Must be mine tachs 5000 at 75mph.
Congrats, nice to find out you have
something a lot of people want. And the
price was right. :biglaugh:
Chris

Pretty sure I have the saddlebag thing figured out.
Mike ( Maxcruiser) has a post on here showing how he hard mounted
some leather saddlebags to the turn signal stock and
and front grab bar bolt using a spacer. I'd have to
relocate the signals to the lic. plate area with some
mini signals but no worries. Looks good to.
Here are a few pics.
Also I really like this windshield in the pic. Anyone know
what kind it is ?
Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• saddlebag mount 1.jpg
    saddlebag mount 1.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 23
  • saddlebag mount 2.jpg
    saddlebag mount 2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 27
  • saddlebag mount 3.jpg
    saddlebag mount 3.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 26
  • saddlebag mount 4.jpg
    saddlebag mount 4.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Vmax%20Windshield.jpg
    Vmax%20Windshield.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 39
I like that shield too - what a great fit! Although you can see that the front blinkers have had to be relocated lower down on brackets to clear it..
It's definitely not a Slipstreamer, but I'm trying to find out.

Pretty sure I have the saddlebag thing figured out.
Mike ( Maxcruiser) has a post on here showing how he hard mounted
some leather saddlebags to the turn signal stock and
and front grab bar bolt using a spacer. I'd have to
relocate the signals to the lic. plate area with some
mini signals but no worries. Looks good to.
Here are a few pics.
Also I really like this windshield in the pic. Anyone know
what kind it is ?
Thanks,
Chris

Hey Chris, I think the saddlebag setup will work good for ya. I will post pics of my max with the larger bags on for comparison sake.

I like the pic of the windshield too, but would go with the lower half blacked out - looks better IMO

Mike

Nice shield G!! But I don't see v max on the fitment list. Can't imagine why not but....:confused2:

I think because you need to move the front blinkers down to fit it. Did you see that picture at the beginning of this thread? It looks great on the Max.. :eusa_dance:

Hey Chris, I think the saddlebag setup will work good for ya. I will post pics of my max with the larger bags on for comparison sake.

I like the pic of the windshield too, but would go with the lower half blacked out - looks better IMO

Mike

Hey Mike,
Yeah I'd love to see the larger bags on your Max.
Could also be the Santa Cruz windshield. Didn't even notice the
signal move , looks pretty good though.
Chris

Latest posts

Back