Another motor noise Q

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98jpvmax

Reaction score
I know i asked this already but i got out again today and when cruising thru town in 2nd-3rd gear when i let off the gas my Max sounds like its turbo charged??? almost like a semi coasting, the guy said there is a K&N filter in it not sure if that whould make a difference:ummm: thanks for any input, i got some pics up now also

That scary noise on deceleration could possible be a nut loose in the driveshaft side of the differential...
If so, it's not a big deal to fix it... Just needs to be re-torqued. Accomplishing that can be difficult though.

I don't have any different noise from the k&N's, than stock filters...

Ya im new to the V4 world so not excatly sure what they are suppose to sound like i guess, i was thinking of stopping at a dealer around here but they are all kind of doushes, it starts and runs great, maybe valve need adjusting or are there timing gears or water pump gears or anything?

There isn't anything to time since that's all self adjusting. As noted there could be extra lash in the rear diff that could be causing the noise. They have a documented issue on occassion of coming loose or even breaking on the pinion end. The noise will travel of the shaft and sound like it's from the engine.

You can narrow this down a little bit by seeing if it's speed based, gear based, or RPM based. Speed based will do the noise the same regardless of the gear or engine RPM. Gear based will do it simply in one or two gears. RPM based will usually be in all gears but at a select RPM though MPH will vary.

Sean

Back