Anyone got a starter clutch they are willing to part with?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
I went out to start my bike this morning and the starter clutch is completely trashed. Engine won't turn over at all. I figured I'd see if anyone here has a decent one they would be willing to part with before I look into a BRAND new one.

Oh....and I have another question. If my bike is in 1st gear, and I'm holding the clutch in, shouldn't I be able to freely roll the bike around??? I noticed this morning that my bike doesn't roll....it feels like the clutch isn't even engaged

sometimes u gotta give it a push even with the clutch in....

when it happens to me it usually feels like it's still in gear, but if you push past the point the gear would usually grab it then rolls freely....

Yeah, you should be able to roll it with clutch pulled in. It will be more difficult than if it was in neutral however.

Humor me with my noobness, but what exactly is a starter clutch? ive only ever heard of starter motors....

You have both. A starter motor which is the elctrical part of the starting system. Then you have the starter clutch (located on the back of the flywheel) which amplifies the starters leverage and is permanently enguaged. This mechanism spins one direction freely so the starter isn't turning while the engine is running but locks up while the starter turns.

I do have a few on hand if needed (of both). $75 used but includes the wheel gear too.

Sean

You have both. A starter motor which is the elctrical part of the starting system. Then you have the starter clutch (located on the back of the flywheel) which amplifies the starters leverage and is permanently enguaged. This mechanism spins one direction freely so the starter isn't turning while the engine is running but locks up while the starter turns.

I do have a few on hand if needed (of both). $75 used but includes the wheel gear too.

Sean

How easy is it to remove/install the starter clutch? And would the wheel gear be a good thing to replace at the same time or does it not matter?
I also vaguely remember seeing something about needing a new gasket when this fix is done.....true?

Hard part is removing the flywheel. You'll need a good puller to get that off.

You'll need the stator cover gasket and middle gear cover gasket.

You have to remove the stator cover to get at the flywheel (hence the need for the gasket), remove the flywheel, and then you can change out the starter clutch. If you don't have the proper puller getting the flywheel off can be a cast iron bitch. Also, I cannot understate the fact that you need to be very careful with the flywheel. Drop it and damage it and it can get spendy in a hurry!!!:bang head:

Hmm....so since A) I don't have a puller and B) I don't have a garage to do the work in, would I be best off buying the starter clutch and gaskets and then just having the stealer do the work for me?

You can borrow a good puller from Advance Auto. You get your deposit back when you return the tool. Just make sure that the bolts on the tool are of decent grade. At least 8.

So I understand how to do it now....but why do I need a middle gear gasket?
It sounds as if I would only need to change the stator cover gasket.

It's easier that way since the stator and p/u coil wires go through a grommet connecting the stator and middle gear covers.

The flywheel is pretty darn sturdy. I have had them flyoff and never had any visible damage or issues with them. I do have a few really trick custom aluminum flywheels but they aren't practical for street useage.

As Mark noted you will want to get both gaskets since the middle gear cover needs to be off to better be able to remove the stator cover (and get the wiring from behind it anyway). The stator will feel like it's stuck but once the gasket is broken loose it is held in place by magnetism. When you remove it there will be a couple of gears that will probably fall out but they are easy to get back in.

If your wheel gear feels notchy you may want to consider replacing it. A very small amount is OK but you want them to be as smooth as possible.

Sean Morley

Ahhh ok gotcha. I should be able to handle this in that case. I'll just raid my dad's garage and use his tools for the job.

Back