Are V-Maxes THAT obscure???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBreinin

Reaction score
So, I took my Max out last night for a little ride. I had to fill up and while I was there, there was a nice FJR1300 there as well. The guy on the FJR comes over and says, "hey, I have a Yamaha too!" I commented that it was a very nice FJR. He then asks, "what is this bike?" I said, "a V-Max." He had no clue what it was. He asked if it was fast and I told him it was the original Muscle bike with a factory rating of 140 HP. He then informed me that his new FJR has 145. I told him my Max was an '85 and he just about had a stroke.

I have known what a V-Max was since they first came out. This guyt was at least 10 years older than me (I am 38). I just find it odd that someone with a Yamaha, and obviously into Yamahas..would have no clue.

Mike

I live in So Cal and it seems not a lot of riders here, which there are plenty of, know what about the Vmax. But then again it is only one bike out of hundreds and hundreds of other models. Plus it really hasnt changed in 20 years so I dont think it gets the coverage by magazines like it used to. The VMax is like a cult movie, only those that know about it understand it.
Cheers :cheers:

THE FIRST NIGHT I WEN'T OUT ON MY MAX , DOWN THE JERSEY SHORE , TO SEA SIDE HIGHTS , A BIG LONG BOARDWALK , WITH ALL RIDES & GAMES , AND A HOT SPOT FOR CARS & BIKES TO CRUISE , THERE WAS 10 ASIAN GUY'S ON RICE ROCKETT'S WITH THERE GIRLS , I PARKED , & TWO OF THEM WALKED OVER & LOOKED AT THE BIKE & ONE SAID " DUDE WHAT IS THAT THING " I LAUGHT & SAID A BRANDNEW V-MAX , THEY SAID " COOL " LOOKED AT IT FOR ANOTHER MINUTE & THEN WALKED BACK OVER TO THIER FRIENDS & WERE TALKING & POINTING OVER AT THE MAX . IT WAS PRETTY FUNNY , BUT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE , I KNOW THE ODDS ARE SLIM THAT WHEN I'M OUT CRUISING , THAT I'LL SEE SOMEONE WITH THE SAME BIKE AS ME , WITCH USE TO HAPPEN IN THE PAST ! WITH ALL OF MY OTHER BIKES !

Couldn't have said it better, What was worth writing about has been written over 15 years ago.

But they do dust it off and write about it when a new challenger comes forward, like they did when the Rocket III came out. It is still the benchmark.

Mike

ive had my bike since june 2006 and ive only ran into one on the road. noone knows what it is and it turns a lot of heads. The harley fags give me a tough time though, but i just laugh it off because none of them can touch me.

So, I took my Max out last night for a little ride. I had to fill up and while I was there, there was a nice FJR1300 there as well. The guy on the FJR comes over and says, "hey, I have a Yamaha too!" I commented that it was a very nice FJR. He then asks, "what is this bike?" I said, "a V-Max." He had no clue what it was. He asked if it was fast and I told him it was the original Muscle bike with a factory rating of 140 HP. He then informed me that his new FJR has 145. I told him my Max was an '85 and he just about had a stroke.

I have known what a V-Max was since they first came out. This guyt was at least 10 years older than me (I am 38). I just find it odd that someone with a Yamaha, and obviously into Yamahas..would have no clue.

Mike
did you tell him the factory rating of 140 with a straight face,,,the fjr probably has a true 145 to the rear wheel.....but then again the max build it reputation on myths

I don't think the Vmax is that obscure, I think that many of today's riders are newbies to the sport and don't have alot of knowledge of motorcycles.
Next time your at a local coffee shop/bike hangout, listen to the questions some riders ask others - one of the main questions is, "what kind of bike is that and they're not only looking at vmax's either.

Mike

I don't think the Vmax is that obscure, I think that many of today's riders are newbies to the sport and don't have alot of knowledge of motorcycles.
Next time your at a local coffee shop/bike hangout, listen to the questions some riders ask others - one of the main questions is, "what kind of bike is that and they're not only looking at vmax's either.

Mike
na there just trying to make friends and bullshit for a while ...i find riders are into there own bike and realy arnt interested in other bike......what kind of bike is that question is just a way to start some small talk...they dont reallyl give two poops...i know i dont :biglaugh:

did you tell him the factory rating of 140 with a straight face,,,the fjr probably has a true 145 to the rear wheel.....but then again the max build it reputation on myths

Well, I never said it HAD 140 HP, only that Yamaha said it did. :eusa_dance: I know better.

It was an odd experience. The guy was kind of "scrungy" and he wasn't dressed at all to ride (which is not uncommon around here). He had on a tropical print shirt and shorts. Looked like he just got back from Jazzfest (he probably did, since he seemed a little tipsy as well). The only gear he had was a helmet. I was in leather head to foot.

I didn't think the bike was his....like I said, he didn't strike me as an FJR rider. I thought the owner was inside paying for gas and this guy was gawking. But, it was his bike. I saw him fire it up and ride away.

You never know.

Mike

na there just trying to make friends and bullshit for a while ...i find riders are into there own bike and realy arnt interested in other bike......what kind of bike is that question is just a way to start some small talk...they dont reallyl give two poops...i know i dont :biglaugh:

Would it be just as easy to start the conversation with, nice vmax/softail, b-king, etc... I like what you did to..... Atleast, if a guy/gal asks me this question, I know there worth talking to. I don't mind having a conversation with somebody that atleast knows something about motorcycles. I'm not looking for bullshit conversation about bullshit.

Mike

Would it be just as easy to start the conversation with, nice vmax/softail, b-king, etc... I like what you did to..... Atleast, if a guy/gal asks me this question, I know there worth talking to. I don't mind having a conversation with somebody that atleast knows something about motorcycles. I'm not looking for bullshit conversation about bullshit.

Mike
hell ill talk to anybody ...as long as in drinking coffee ... i agree with ya MC its really one of the nicer things about riding....made a lot of good friends ,that i still hang with that started with small talk

As I recall the FJR1300 has around 125 rwhp and 90 ft lbs.

I could be wrong :ummm:

I've always heard in the 140's on HP but no idea about crank or rear wheel.

I've raced a lot of them tho' and they out run the Max every time and are sorta close in wieght so my guess is more than 125 at the rear.

Back