Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave, Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your v-max. Good folks here, lots of great info & tips, hope you enjoy it.

A little unsolicited advice.............you might want to hang on to that woman, she sounds like a 'good one.' :biglaugh:

Hello everyone, I've been part of this forum for about a month our so. I own a 2001 max and love it. I can't believe all the info on this site. I already have a new seat coming from Sean, and thats just a start. Thanks to everyone for putting so much time in on this site, just to make everyone life so much easier, with all this info they provide. Great job:clapping:

Mike

Hello,

Like many of you I have secretly lusted after a V-Max for many years. I've owned many cycles including a FJ1200, Kawa Z1, and yes...even a Harley RoadKing in the mid-1990s, but even while owning these other bikes, I've always kept up on Mr. Max.

My past...well I was a teenager in the early 1970s who played with hypo-V8s a lot. I've raced formula/SCCA race cars and even snowmobiles in my youth. But its been many years since I spun any wrenches on an oriental bike. I've continued to drive different types of fun vehicles (ATVs to SeaDoo jet boats to pontoon boats), and almost always had some type of cycle to play with. But what always stuck in the back of my mind was that rumble of the V-Max with some type of non-OEM exhaust.

So I've just been a lurker on V-Max websites following the V-Max's history, but never purchased one until...YESTERDAY.

I obtained a "clean but needs a little work" 2001 V-Max from a local Honda dealer that wanted to clear out his used inventory as his selling season is just about over here in northern Illinois. The cycle has a carb issue(s) so I will be creating a new "please help" topic here in the carb/tuning forum. Stop by if you need a good laugh! I will try using the search engine, but bear with me if I ask a question thats been answered before. :bang head: My V-Max learning curve will be pointed straight up for awhile on tuning and maintenance issues.

I reside in Elmhurst, a centrally-located suburb of the Chicago metro area. If you live in northern Illinois contact me...perhaps we can get out for a ride prior to the snowy stuff starting to fall.

And thanks to Shawn Kloker for directing me to this site. He saw me asking questions on a few other V-Max sites and suggested I check this place out.

UPDATE 10/5/08: Got the carbs cleaned over a week ago and its running great! I really enjoy riding this bike, but I am respecting its TQ and HP as I get to know its handling quirks.

Dan

Last edited:
Welcome Dan! Be sure to take advantage of all the great info on this forum. Between the "VMF Links" page and searching past posts you will find just about everything needed to spend money and kill a lot of time. Oh' and good luck with the carbs.

Another new member here, another Dan also...I live in the San Joaquin Valley in Ca., Visalia is the name of the town. I'm surrounded by Harley guys, I've always liked to be "different" from the norm, so when I found my Vmax for a decent price, I bought it. I've had Kawis and Hondas in the past, this is he first Yamaha I've owned and I am slowly but surely falling for this bike. I am getting used to the different way they handle, the torque is amazing, and it gets a lot of respect from other riders. Complaints, a couple, the mileage isn't the greatest but the grin factor makes up for that, I love the looks of the exhaust (2001) but I would like some more noise. I did some searching about modifying the exhaust (drilling out the rivets and some holes?) and may go to the dealer to see what they have to say. If anyone can direct me to a step by step process, I'd appreciate that. I like the sound of the Supertrapp but am not wild about the look. I'm also building a 36 Ford Coupe, so funds are minimal at times. Thanks, Dan

Welcome Dan'l

I remember some posts here about people using cheapo car end cans to get better sound for small $$. The was a pic somewhere and it looked good too. Of course any exhaust work will require some carb/airbox tuning and possible rejetting, but if that's what you're after...
Also I believe some have drilled their baffles for the same reason.

Use the search engine and you'll find all the info you need and more! :worthy::punk:

"I'm also building a 36 Ford Coupe, so funds are minimal at times. Thanks, Dan"

Welcome to the asylum Dan'l! And thanks for another major flashback!

My first ever LEGALLY registered car, back in 1958, was a '36 Ford 3 window coupe... full fender-ed, running boards, rumble seat, 'continental kit', metalic blue. Powered with a mod'ed '53 Merc flathead, and a Lincoln Zephyr trans... One of the ones I wish to this day, I had never let go... The only Ford of that era I ever considered even close to the 'style' of that '36, was the '40 Deluxe series...never owned one, but always loved their looks!

Post some pics of your project as you go...you'll sure make my day!

Take care!

Uncle Philthy

Greeting! My real name is Tim. I purchased my 97? Max earlier this year and have been desperately searching for a resource such as this. So, the last two days I have been reviewing the great info here and tweaking my bike at the same time. I have been riding street bikes of all kinds for 22 years, mostly CBR?s so needless to say Mr. Max is a completely new animal to me. I remember when Yamaha first introduced the V Max and I idolized it ever sense. I purchased the V Max from a 70 year old in Detroit who was moving south and sacrificed it in the move. I thought it was running rough but as I said I had no prior experience with this motorcycle and thought ?well, maybe this is how it should sound?. I later discovered the carbs were WAY out of sync and the boot to cylinder # 3 was folded in creating a substantial air leak. Now the riding season is coming to an end and my bike runs great. It is stock as far as I can tell with the exception of steel brake lines, Corbon seat and an array of handlebars. Over the winter I plan on giving her some flames and would love to add an exhaust. I must admit that I am a tad apprehensive molesting the exhaust as the bike runs wonderful. Anyway, thank you for having such a great information resource! I had 30 questions when I joined but pretty much all 30 have already been asked and answered.:punk:

Greeting! My real name is Tim. I purchased my 97? Max earlier this year and have been desperately searching for a resource such as this. So, the last two days I have been reviewing the great info here and tweaking my bike at the same time. I have been riding street bikes of all kinds for 22 years, mostly CBR?s so needless to say Mr. Max is a completely new animal to me. I remember when Yamaha first introduced the V Max and I idolized it ever sense. I purchased the V Max from a 70 year old in Detroit who was moving south and sacrificed it in the move. I thought it was running rough but as I said I had no prior experience with this motorcycle and thought ?well, maybe this is how it should sound?. I later discovered the carbs were WAY out of sync and the boot to cylinder # 3 was folded in creating a substantial air leak. Now the riding season is coming to an end and my bike runs great. It is stock as far as I can tell with the exception of steel brake lines, Corbon seat and an array of handlebars. Over the winter I plan on giving her some flames and would love to add an exhaust. I must admit that I am a tad apprehensive molesting the exhaust as the bike runs wonderful. Anyway, thank you for having such a great information resource! I had 30 questions when I joined but pretty much all 30 have already been asked and answered.:punk:

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum! :cheers: I'm glad you are enjoying the VMax and that this forum has helped you out!

Hi Tim, Mike and the 2 Dans! :eusa_dance:

Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place for info on Mr Max.

There are some very knowledgeable folks here that are always willing to help a fellow maxxer. :punk:

Aloha VMAX bitches!!!! I'm Dave and I have talked to a few of you already. Maleko, :worthy:Sean Morley, and crazy ass Cop Runner. Thanks for all of your help in getting my 97' beast running and looking mean. I'll try and get some pic up on here soon. If anyone is coming to Oahu any time in the future, let me know and we can grab some beers and go hunting.....women hunting that is.....tell my wife and I'll deny it!!!

Hi Dave, Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. Lots o' good stuff here.

Hmmmm, the last three new members all own '97's.................Conspiracy????? :hmmm:

New member in Baltimore, Md!!!!!!

I am suppossed to be picking up a 99 MAX tomorrow and I cannot wait. I have lusted for one of these for a long time. Been riding 15 years always twins. I started on a Hawk GT progressed thru a variety of Ducati Monsters a Buell XB12S and most recently a XL1200 Sportster. I like to work on my bikes and perform my own modifications. I have already started reading posts about exhaust, airbox, and carb mods.

Welcome! There's a lot of good info on here...best on the Net!

I guess I should say hi. I forgot to even originally say hi on this thread!

i've been around for a couple weeks but already love the site. Esp since i upgraded from a 94 to a 2003 and need to do some simple work...

I'm def younger than most on here (24), but i love the look on my buddy's faces (who all ride 600 crotch rockets) when i fly by them.....

Anyone in the metrowest MA area definitely let me know!!!

hello, and thanks for all the questions answered already!

Back