At What Temperature does the Fan Kick in ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cybergrizzly

Reaction score
I've had a 1998 Vmax for the past 5 months, now it started to drip coolant from the drain valve. Cool no problem. Removed the valve and replaced the O-ring seal. No more dripping. Didn't open all plugs when doing the valve removal so probably all the radiator coolant was gone only. I opened the radiator cap and replaced coolant up to the cap level and refill the coolant reservoir. Rode the bike for about half an hour and the temperature raised to half scale but when I stopped and let it idle for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, the temperature raised to almost 3/4 scale but not to the first red line. I stopped the engine.

The questions:

1. What is the normal operating temperature in a tropical environment where the ambient temperature is 90 degrees Farenheit ? :ummm: Honestly, I can't remember at what temperature was running before. Sorry, I know, dumbass of me.

2. At what temperature does the fan kicks in ? :ummm:

Many thanks for your time and responses.

dunno the temp but maybe 85% up the scale.

Thanks, my Friends..

Read somewhere in another forum of a guy that says that the fan kicks in almost or at the first RED line of the scale and that this is normal. Is this true? That would seem close to 85% of the scale, right ?

Just trying to keep it safe and learning a bit more of the Vmax everytime.

Attachments

• Fankick.jpg
    Fankick.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Mine went to the first red line idling in the garage tonight. No fan. I wasn't willing to let it go past there.

That's precisely my point. It gets itchy once you see the needle climb. I remember that a good friend of mine very knowledgeable about Yamaha motorcycles and Vmaxes accompanied me to check the bike before buying it. He let the bike idle to check if the fans would kick in and ...they did. I am going to ask him tomorrow about this, as I was not looking at the temp gauge when he did the check up temp/fan test.

Will let you guys know in a couple of days.

Unless I'm on the highway, my bike is usually 1 needle width below the red, its gotten into the red a few times during 115+ summer heat. Road surface temps at 160+ out here July - September. Fan kicks on kinda late in my opinion, but there's a switch mod where the fan kicks in 10 degrees sooner.

I live in Dallas where it gets over 100 degrees often plus lots of traffic slowing you down. Rarely has the fan come on. I installed the override switch so I can turn it on anytime. Kind of a peace of mind thing... :confused2:

Hey, M-Cman. Maybe you can help me. I'm in Fort Worth. Maybe I'll try to idle it up and wait out the fan tomorrow. I just didn't want stuff to start breaking by letting it get into the red. I think I have a separate problem, though. My fan won't come on when I jumper the thermostat switch that's in the fan switch mod.

Fan should start between 102 & 108 ?C (216 & 226 ?F) and switch off between 98 & 92 ?C (204 to 198 ?F).

Also be aware that the gauge on the bike is not necessarily accurate therefore should not be relied upon to establish the temperature of the motor.

My temp gauge goes up into the red before the fan will kick on.
Did a coolant flush and fill last week. I had the bike idling for 10 minutes or so at a time, blipping the throttle. Temp never even hit 200 degrees. I've replaced the OEM gauge with a digital unit.

Attachments

• Thermo switch.pdf
    92.4 KB · Views: 24
Thanks, my Friends..

Read somewhere in another forum of a guy that says that the fan kicks in almost or at the first RED line of the scale and that this is normal. Is this true? That would seem close to 85% of the scale, right ?

Just trying to keep it safe and learning a bit more of the Vmax everytime.

I was well over 200 degrees when I checked mine stock. And, I'd be in the red zone at every traffic stop. With a different fan sender mine comes on about 180 degrees now (measured at the manifold). The needle never approaches the black dot on the early Gen 1's, or gauge screw on all. But, my fan is running most of the time. I've run like this for so long it's normal for me to see the fan on.
Whenever adding coolant, let the bike run awhile with the cap off the manifold to bleed the air out of the system. A system that was empty could take a while to purge.
Steve-o

With a different fan sender mine comes on about 180 degrees now (measured at the manifold). The needle never approaches the black dot on the early Gen 1's, or gauge screw on all. But, my fan is running most of the time. I've run like this for so long it's normal for me to see the fan on. Steve-o

Ditto. I did this mod years ago and have not let the temp guage worry me since. Never have to remember to flip a manual switch either.

How about the "Outlaw Radiator Fan Switch Kit" for $65.00. Anyone has tried this one? It looks pretty much simple by replacing the temperatur sensor to a unit that is set to kick on the fan at 20 degrees lower than stock. So it says in their website.
:ummm:

How about the "Outlaw Radiator Fan Switch Kit" for $65.00. Anyone has tried this one? It looks pretty much simple by replacing the temperatur sensor to a unit that is set to kick on the fan at 20 degrees lower than stock. So it says in their website.

You can buy a different thermoswitch from the autoparts store for less than half of that price. Do some reading here on different thoughts about the thermo switch and some alternate part #'s that can be purchased at your local auto parts store and save some $
http://www.vmaxforum.net/tags.php?tag=thermo

I am not a fan of a the aftermarket switches. They seem to make the fan run too much IMO. I don't see a need for the fan runnin while I'm riding down the road at a decent pace.

No need to spend the $$. Like Mike said, the part is available at auto parts stores. I think the fan situation can mask other issues with the cooling system. I've put the lower temp switch in. But, as usuall there are other factors. I also rebuilt the leaking coolant pump, flushed the system out completely, and changed the T-stat. I might just put the stock temp sender back in and observe the temp. now.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Hi,
i'm new here, can somebody tell me how much coolant should be in the system. I had a drip from the drain plug and have lost some fluid.

Back