Automatic Kickstand and Frame Welding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v65animal

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a motorcycle again. I've had two V65 Magna's in the past, I still like them, but I kind of want to try something new.

I'm looking at a 1995 VMAX

When you lift the weight off the side kickstand, it automatically pops up into the stored/riding position. I found it very awkward to set the bike back down when the kickstand wants to keep popping back up. Is there an easy way to disable the auto retract feature? What year VMAXs had this?

I also noticed an electrical switch connected to the sidestand, what does it do? Or more likely prevent from happening?

Next, the frame has been welded by the side kick stand, it doesn't look pretty either. Is this a common issue, is something weak in this area? I'm concerned about safety and strength.

VBOOST switch? Is it just a little red toggle switch by the "Neck" of the handlebars? The owner said the previous owner told him it has a Stage 3 Jet kit. Under the fake tank, it also have 4 little K&N air filters.

This guy has owned the bike for 3 years, never really ridden it because of his wife. The ODO shows 740 miles, which I'm sure isn't correct. Does anyone have a Free VIN check before I pay for one?

JYA2WEE00SA045946 1995 YAMAHA/VMX12/

See attached jpg

Concerns:
1. How many miles? (How many is too many?)
2. Frame weld, is it safe, strong?
3. Second gear, I haven't ridden it yet. The Stage 3 kit makes it more likely it was ridden hard previously. I saw it in person, only heard it run so far.
4. Why a new speedometer?
5. Anything else to be aware of? I notice a thread stating to see if the carb adjustment bolts had siezed, if they have, how bad is it? $$$

Thanks in advance!
Sam

Attachments

• VMAX Frame Weld by kickstand Crop.jpg
    VMAX Frame Weld by kickstand Crop.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 56
THe switch on the kickstand shuts off the engine if the bike is in gear when you put it down. What else has been done to the engine, what pipes?. It dosn't make sense to do the intake mod unless other stuff has been done to the bike.

Personally, with the weight and horsepower of a Vmax, I would not buy a bike with a poors repaired frame unless its in the removable loop which you could replace.

I hate to sy it (because I do mods to a lot of my bikes) but to me, the more mods on a bike, the less likely I am to buy it, unless the is lowere then stock bikes of the same year.

The switch on the kick stand is a safety switch...you can only start the bike with the kick stand down, if its in neutral. Also if the bikes in gear, and you put the kick stand down, it will kill the bike.

Sounds like you have a switch called T-boost. Normally V-BOOST is RPM controlled and will usually stat opening at 5750 to 6000 RPM. You could bypass that with a switch, and have the V-Boost open normally, or at 3000 RPM, or not at all.

Stage 3? Usually its either stage 1...or stage 7? Sound like you have a stage 7 setup on the bike. You can search stage 7 on the forum, and it should give you any information. I dont have them, so thats all of the information that I can give about that.

If you have a problem with 2nd gear, you will know it....if you have it in 2nd gear, and get on it hard, it will pop out of gear.

New speedo....I dont have a clue. There are 2 carb adjustments to be aware of. Looking at the carbs from the sides....the silver screws on the sides of the carbs that you really notice...are the carb sync screws. The A/F screws will be towards the bottom of the carbs on the outside in a 1/4 inch recess....about 3/4 inch inside of the bottom of the carb. usually you will have brass plugs in these unless someone has drilled these out. If someone has...USE PB BLASTER...and let it SIT for a BIT, BEFORE you adjust them. Otherwise you will strip them!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps, and cant answer for the welding. As long as the bike is in good shape...no amout of mileage is too many.....I have 32000 on mine....and 40 50 or 60 thousand shows up on the forum quite often.

No year vmax had an auto kickstand. It should not do this.
Kinda hard for me to see the weld. Wonder if it has anything to do with the kickstand?

In that little picture I see signs of rust and corrosion which typically means the bike was not cared for. So it has some shady frame welds, an auto kickstand, replaced speedometer,and who knows what else. Unless the owner is asking well below market value I would move on. and I would not buy it unless I could verify 2nd gear.

No year vmax had an auto kickstand. It should not do this.
Kinda hard for me to see the weld. Wonder if it has anything to do with the kickstand?

In that little picture I see signs of rust and corrosion which typically means the bike was not cared for. So it has some shady frame welds, an auto kickstand, replaced speedometer,and who knows what else. Unless the owner is asking well below market value I would move on. and I would not buy it unless I could verify 2nd gear.

+1....IT WILL cost you a LOT of money to fix 2nd gear if its bad.

Another question....your only gonna get the full potential of the carbs..etc...out of an aftermarket exhaust...why does it have stock again? Did someone sell the previous exhaust?

all of what ive read in this thread so far, tells me you should walk away from this bike. patience, there will be another. while you're waiting, go to the faq section and pull up the "new owners" sticky. i think post 3 informs you of what to look for when shopping for a max

and, btw, just like madcmb says, no max is manufactured with an auto-retracting kickstand

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

As stated by everyone, run from this bike. I wouldn't buy except as a parts bike at a really cheap price. Ducati is the only bike I know that has an automatically retracting sidestand and most owners disable as it works at the most inopportune times. :biglaugh:

You will be able to find a decent V-Max at a good price. Everyone on this forum will help you if you need advice/info.

I'm in agreement with everyone here!!........I would keep on walking, the V-Max is an awsome machine that will deliver!!........I would hate that you have a bad experience with your first one, find an example that is in good shape and ready to go, be sure to test the 2nd gear as stated above on the test ride, take your time looking and your patients will be well rewarded!!...........Tom.

V65-

Two things..

1. Take pictures.. Most questions can be answered with pictures supporting your questions.
2. Please keep the guys here informed. Everyone is always willing to help, unless their being trolled.
3. You will not find a site or shop that has as much collective experience on VMaxs than the VMF (and respectively the VMOA). Welcome and know, you're in good hands.

Even if you decide not to go with that Max, be patient. We're told time and time again that riding a VM is unlike any other ride. Finding a good condition stock VM is like a blank slate. Although you may save $$$ by finding one loaded with AM parts, you could inherit someone's problems as well.

Good luck with your search and ask away. Some guys here are top notch MECHS and everyone is helpful.

KarmaKatt
VMOA 5652

Are you sure that is a weld? Almost looks like a build-up of road crud.

As far as the kickstand goes, it doesn't take much effort to put it up. A little nudge and it will fold right up.

I don't want to jump to conclusions here. It does look like it may have been stored outside.

Got any more pics? Do you mind telling what the asking price is?

These guy's here will put you on the right track when comes to the Vmax bike.
They sure help me a lot and teaching me about the bike. I bought a Vmax last year best bike I been on. 1 thing I could say is, try to make sure you no what mods dun to the bike if any. Good luck.

Not to rain on your parade, I know how once you decide you want a Vmax it's easy to fall in love with the first few you see.

Take your time and you'll be glad you did.

I agree on the kickstand, not sure what's going on with that:ummm:

Don't have an opinion on the welding if thats what it really is:ummm:

The thing about the one you're looking at that would most concern me is the evidence of having been stored outdoors. Things like that have a way of continually presenting you with new symptoms as time goes by, and unless you want a bike in need of a lot of cosmetic restoration at minimum, as time goes by you'll wish you had have picked one that was much cleaner. Even if it has higher miles on it.

I'd say take your time and keep shopping:punk:

Good luck!

Auction ended at $3,022 Reserve NOT Met. No idea if it ever had aftermarket pipes. I'm passing on this one.

I've decided to look into a 1990 model outside Nashville, if it's still for Sale on Friday.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/3742048606.html

The engine was rebuilt at 1800 miles. The owner said he has had it since 1992, when he bought it he thought he was getting a good deal, I believe he didn't even make it home when the engine went. He drilled out the stock exhaust, added the tips.

I asked about 2nd gear, he said no problems or work has been done to it. He also said Yamaha had fixed the 2nd gear issue after the first couple model years???

Then there is this 1991, it has 34k miles or so, but 2nd gear was replaced last year.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/3680954405.html

Full info from link:
Well, spring is here, time to start selling off a few of my restos........this is a 91 VMAX. Speedo is showing 34K miles, but 2nd gear was replaced by a dealership last year, I have the paperwork from the repair. Mechanical restoration included a new battery, plugs, oil and filter, hydraulics flushed, fuel system and carbs have been cleaned, she runs like a Swiss watch! I have converted it to the Carbon fiber paint scheme, it has a very nice UFO Starfighter seat, Yamaha backrest and engine guards, factory mini-shield, the scoops were powder coated silver by Kyle and look like new! Has the kick-a$$ Yamaha faux tank bag cover, has brand new Dunlop Qualifer tires, less than 20 miles on them! It's got alot of cosmetic goodies, handlebar clamp, clutch and brake reservoir covers, intake covers, V-MAX grips, and the best goodie of all, a SASY V-Boost controller! For those of you not familiar with the V-Boost controller, it's a device that allows you to set the RPM when the V-Boost system kicks in, you can set it anywhere from full on to full off, or any RPM range in between. This bike is ready to rock and roll, get on and ride. I also have tons of parts for these 80's muscle bikes, so feel free to ask or if you simply need advice, I love talking about these old muscle bikes! I have restored over 50 of them in the past 7 or 8 years, looking to buy or trade project bikes also!
I can also send more pics if you need them, bike is located in Lexington, KY and the price is $4000 obo. I've also got an 83 V65 Magna ready, that ad is already here on Craigslist, as well as an 87 ZL1000 Eliminator in the same price range. Feel free to call or text me John at 469-826-9014

I would lean towards the one in Lexington. I have delt quite a bit with John the owner & he a good for his word. The other one with the stage 7 & stock exaust I would have some doubts about.

Per the Yellow one, he had a 4 into 1 Kerker, didn't like the looks of it and drilled it out. I have to agree, a VMAX or V65 looks funny on the side without a muffler.

Thanks for letting me know about the one in Lexington though.

I'm pretty new to V Max ownership but if it helps any I got mine (an 07 model) with 6100 miles on it for $6100 just last week. It wears a Kerker exhaust, fully jetted and a whole host of subtle after market dress up parts including a custom "red piped" saddle to match the factory paint. The bike is in near mint condition and I couldn't be happier unless I grow another dick.
Deals are out there to be had, I read page after page here until I felt comfortable with what to look for in a V Max and this forum has proved to be an invaluable tool to me with both it's friendly members and the collective knowledge contained herein. I doubt you will be steered in the wrong direction by reading the advice given on these pages.

Chris.

JM2C........but Ninja's advice about reading the thread for new buyers IS good advice.....and I believe most people here including myself would steer you towards a 1996 model or newer because of the OEM upgrades done by Yami leading up to that model year.......and def one that's been stored inside all its life.........

Back