Bad News From U-Motors!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
:real mad:
Just got an email from Mike Kolstad at U-Motors. New discount is now 30% over cost. They will no longer be the best price on parts. He said they will honor orders already received. Who has the best price on Yamaha parts now? :tantrum:

Gotta pay for that new overhead some how...:whistlin:

I will change the link to reflect that.:thumbs up:

Guys, I think what that's saying is that the cost of imports is going up as quickly as the U.S. dollar loses value.

The retailer has to pass on the increased costs as higher prices or he would be selling at a loss.

Expect more of this as the Federal Reserve continues to inject more dollars into the U.S. money supply (credit markets).

The inevitable result of this will be inflation and further depreciation of the dollar.

Last edited:
Since they are selling at a set price over cost, it shouldn't matter what the cost is. They still get their profit. Guess 15% just wasn't enough......:Sad:

Since they are selling at a set price over cost, it shouldn't matter what the cost is. They still get their profit. Guess 15% just wasn't enough......:Sad:

Correct! Their new building cost at least 2 million I'm sure and now they need to pay for it...:stickyman:Raising margins is a great way but doubling it only pisses people off. Speaking as a company owner and a sales person...

Shawn is going to have a stroke over this...:whistlin:

Actually they will probably sell it to him at 15%.

We should all just buy from Shawn...:banana:

I just added up my U-Motors invoices for the last 8 months. Came up to over $1980!!! Wish I hadn't done that! Better not to know how much I spend on my Max. (Not all was on the Max though. Maybe $300 or so spent on items for other bikes, etc).

I just added up my U-Motors invoices for the last 8 months. Came up to over $1980!!! Wish I hadn't done that! Better not to know how much I spend on my Max. (Not all was on the Max though. Maybe $300 or so spent on items for other bikes, etc).

I never added my receipts up but I have a rough number of what I spent and DAMN! Never bought anything from U motors though. Now I'm glad as I would have missed the discount...:biglaugh:

Correct! Their new building cost at least 2 million I'm sure and now they need to pay for it...:stickyman:Raising margins is a great way but doubling it only pisses people off. Speaking as a company owner and a sales person...

How long has the cost plus !5% deal been going?

OK guys this is what I mean.

The reason you run a business is to turn a profit so you create wealth.

However, under certain circumstances you can turn the same % profit but have a reduced capacity to create true wealth.

Few business people understand that if you are selling imported goods, and your currency is declining in value, you can turn a profit but create less wealth.

Let me illustrate..

The original University Motors Deal was their Cost + 15%.

This deal was set when the U.S. dollar was worth $X in 200?.

At the end of 2002 one $U.S. could be exchanged for (i.e. it could purchase) various international currencies e.g. US $0.83 would have purchased Euro 1.00

Today $US 1.38 can purchase Euro 1.00

Your currency has declined in value against just about every other major currency you can name.

Therefore, if you hold a US dollar in your hand today it has 40-50% less ability to purchase other currencies, than it had in 2002. So in real terms your wealth (purchasing power) has declined.

Now lets consider how that affects your local business as a wealth-creating vehicle rather than a margin-taking vehicle.

The table below shows you the effect of currency depreciation on a businesses ability to create wealth.

Line one shows University Motors ‘Original Deal’ from their business owner’s perspective. It’s self explanatory.

Line two shows the some deal today. The only thing that has changed is the value of the US$. Because goods have to be purchased with depreciated currency it takes more of it to purchase the same goods AND those goods are then sold to local consumers for more depreciated local currency.

Line three shows that if the business is to create the same wealth from your depreciated local currency the owners must lift margin to 25.35% and that only covers the increased purchase cost of imported parts.

Now subtract wages and other operating costs from the margin and you would need to go to at least 30% margin to maintain the absolute value of the wealth created from the transaction.

This will piss off most consumers. Increasing prices (especially big increases) always does.

If the business is to keep creating the same absolute wealth for the owners, as the local currency depreciates further, the business can raise margins if the consumers will still pay the price.

But if the business cannot continue to create absolute wealth, (instead of absolute margin and reducing wealth) it is not an attractive business. It is a job. Actually, it’s a charity!

Understanding the difference between margin earnings and wealth, Warren Buffet traded his US$ holdings before the currency went into rapid decline so as to preserve his wealth.

The new building University Motors are in is not an import. It is mostly locally produced and paid for locally where a dollar buys a dollar. It is unlikely to be the cause of their margin increase.

University motors are running a smart wealth creating business and are not the bad guys here.

The bad guys are the idiots in the Federal Reserve and your government running up the national debt and devaluing your currency. They are literally robbing you of your wealth and your proof of this is as obvious as increasing retail prices.

Guess who gets to pay off that national debt?

You, your children and your grand children.

Anyway, I’m off topic and ranting. :ranting:

Go easy on University Motors. They are not the bad guys.

This explains more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pEiLHnjAiw

Attachments

• umotors.jpg
    umotors.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
My thoughts are that what, other than most peoples wages hasn't gone way up in the last few years?

I know everything I buy certainly has.

My other big hobby is gun collecting and shooting. Ammo has gone up in the 100-200% range.

I recently made my first purchase from University, and I think it was the 30% deal, and It was still cheaper than other places I checked.

Wow,I guess all good things have to come to an end.I was talking to a newer shop by me,Cross Roads Cycle.They sell Honda,Yamaha,Suzuki,Kawasaki,Polaris and Victory.They are going to sponsor me racing.All parts at cost,even for my Vmax,even on new bikes.Pretty cool just for some guy off of the street.And I still have Rod at Pro Chassie Racing.

:real mad:
Just got an email from Mike Kolstad at U-Motors. New discount is now 30% over cost. They will no longer be the best price on parts. He said they will honor orders already received. Who has the best price on Yamaha parts now? :tantrum:

For the last four months I've used Metricpartsdirect.com, where they sell yamaha parts online only. I think they also have a Honda site too.

They seem to be selling all OEM Parts at 40% Off List Price and I can't find any other site sellig at that discount. :clapping: Once I got used to there site, I've enjoyed using it. Their OEM Parts Fische shows all "superceeded parts in red color", which makes it real nice when trying to figure out what I need to order.

I started buying a few parts from my local dealer (Houston) last October for my 85' Vmax. After shoping around a little, I almost hit the roof when I found out my local dealer was selling online at 35% OVER LIST! :bang head: Yes "Over List" - Go Figure.

I verified "Actual List Prices" with Yamaha on a few things and couldn't believe what they were charging inline!

Anyway, I've made seven purchased from Metric Parts Direct since January and everything has gone real well. They are a little hard to get a hold of when you call, but I keep trying during the day and usually get someone to assist me.
:drool:

thanks for reading

BrianK
Houston

UMOTORS is great. If they still sell good items cheaper than my dealer i will pull the trigger.

too bad... i bet the small orders is what did them in. if they could sell larger quantity at lower margin it may be more worth their time.

Latest posts

Back