Beads in your tires.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
How many of you use beads instead of wheel weights.

I am going to use airsoft bb's in mine. Not paying the big dollars for the "specific" beads.

Guys around me use them in off road big 4x4 trucks all the time. 10 second diesels etc.

So I just wondered on the bike, how many grams or oz's you guys use?

Thanks
Todd

Cool thing about it, is if you add too much they just disperse evenly around and it doesn't affect anything. I ve been in several big 4x4's with beads and they worked awesome.

I just haven't done them in a bike tire yet. But I see no difference.

Todd

Nope im gonna do it to my diesel this weekend with the airsoft. Im just running huge tires but I got 285/70-r17 pro comp Xtreme AT on there so it might help I got a little bit of a shaking even after alignment and balance.... good info! Thanks alot!

I use Dyna-Beads and like them. 1 oz in the front and 2 oz in the rear. This works great on my currant tire set-Metzler z6's. I ran 3 ozs in the Shinko 170 rear to get it balanced. Smooth ride, and no dealer needed. They can't fall off, and wheels look better. I haven't had one shop tell me beads are great
rofl_200.gif
(unless they sell beads)
Steve-o

How many of you use beads instead of wheel weights.

I am going to use airsoft bb's in mine. Not paying the big dollars for the "specific" beads.

Guys around me use them in off road big 4x4 trucks all the time. 10 second diesels etc.

So I just wondered on the bike, how many grams or oz's you guys use?

Thanks
Todd

I haven't had one shop tell me beads are great
rofl_200.gif
(unless they sell beads)
Steve-o

How true LOL.

I have several big diesel shops around here and one is known across the country and he said to use them.

I will be putting them in my Diesel as well. Going to run 315 70 17's on my dually 4x4 :biglaugh:

Todd

I run the DynaBeads as well. I try to buy in bulk when I can find a source. 1oz in the front and 2oz in the back for the vmax works well for me.

I run them in all of my bikes, as do most of my friends. the old static balancer and wheel weights just collect dust in my garage now :)

Here's what I don't get about the "bead balancing"....supposedly having all these beads inside the tire will evenly disperse and thus balance the tire.

But that's the problem....centrifugal force will evenly disperse them. They're not magically going to all collect where needed. The only case they would work is if a light spot in the tire corresponds to a slight concavity in the inside wall of the tire, and that spot happens to be the exact right size to hold the right number of beads to offset that light spot. Not very likely.

I've seen lots of reports claiming these work great, though I have yet to see a true before-and-after. As in a bike that had vibration w/o wheel weights, beads were added, and the vibration suddenly vanished. Chances are 99% of the cases where they "work great" there would be no noticeable problems with no balancing means at all. The other 1% I suspect the extra 3oz or whatever of weight serves more as a damper to vibration(think bar end weights), rather than correcting the imbalance in the first place. Masking rather than fixing.

I've read several reports of people testing out of balance wheels on a dynamic spin balancer. Every single time, there is zero difference in output before and after the beads. As in it's out of balance by the same amount in the same place.

They work. They take 'a few' seconds to disperse properly each and every time you take off, and I believe, they don't begin to work until you are up to around 15mph. A spin balancing machine does not sample a tire for long enough for this to happen. Therefore, the machine doesn't acknowlege the beads doing their work properly.

At least, that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

How does the size of the dyna beads compare to the air soft BB's:ummm:

Fluid ring balancing has been around for decades and has been used to balance tires/rims on heavy trucks with much success. DynaBeads are just a different take on the same concept. They disperse and re-balance the tire/wheel every time you start moving.

Friend of mine got a ding in his front wheel and the bike developed a out of balance wobble around 45mph. I put an oz of beads in the tire/tube and it smoothed right out for him. Going on 2 years now and he never has ordered a new wheel.

By static balancing and adding wheel weights to the rim, you are simply doing ONCE what the dynabeads do EVERYTIME you start moving. Call it masking, fixing, compensating...whatever. You are simply adding weight to counter balance a deficiency in the tire/wheels rotational balance.

The size? Never actually measured them myself...just back from the garage... 0.042"

How does the size of the dyna beads compare to the air soft BB's:ummm:

I'm thinking you could fit 25-30 dynabeads inside an airsoft BB (if an airsoft BB is anywhere close to .175" like a daisy BB.)

dyna beads.jpg
These are the ones they sell for cars & bikes. I think the semi-truck ones are much larger.

edit: Looks like an airsoft BB (.236") is bigger than a Daisy (.175"). I love google.

I used them, I loved them. Threw away the old weights too. And I have more bags of them - looking forward to put them in the wheels of my '00, when it eventually gets to me...

Yea that's a big difference in size. But I would do the same concept I guess right? Just less needed to equal the weight

Here's what I don't get about the "bead balancing"....supposedly having all these beads inside the tire will evenly disperse and thus balance the tire.

But that's the problem....centrifugal force will evenly disperse them. They're not magically going to all collect where needed. The only case they would work is if a light spot in the tire corresponds to a slight concavity in the inside wall of the tire, and that spot happens to be the exact right size to hold the right number of beads to offset that light spot. Not very likely.

I've seen lots of reports claiming these work great, though I have yet to see a true before-and-after. As in a bike that had vibration w/o wheel weights, beads were added, and the vibration suddenly vanished. Chances are 99% of the cases where they "work great" there would be no noticeable problems with no balancing means at all. The other 1% I suspect the extra 3oz or whatever of weight serves more as a damper to vibration(think bar end weights), rather than correcting the imbalance in the first place. Masking rather than fixing.

I've read several reports of people testing out of balance wheels on a dynamic spin balancer. Every single time, there is zero difference in output before and after the beads. As in it's out of balance by the same amount in the same place.
Well, I don't believe everything I read either Ryan. I've yet to hear a vendor say his product sucked. So, I ran my last bias set of tires with no weights or beads, vibration was terrible. Shinko tires were used. Then I added the beads and saw an improvement. I then added 1/2-3/4 oz. more to the rear wheel and got an equal to dynamic balance (without 1/2 the wheel lined witht weights). Before and after effects are good enough for me. Beads are nothing new to balance tires. I run them in my radials now.
Steve

Well I've looked a bit more into these and maybe my skepticism is unfounded. There's definitely science behind it and I did find a logical explanation for why they "don't work" on a spin balancer... the center of rotation has to be able to move to distribute the beads as needed. Suspension on a bike allows this, the rigid axle of a balancer does not. Makes sense.

The weights on the rear wheel of the Z fell off the first time I washed it and now there seems to be a bit of imbalance at 100+ so I might give these a go.

oddly enough I guess "dynabeads" aren't sold on ebay, only through dealers. There's only one near me, Spitzie's HD down in albany listed on the dynabeads website.

I talked to my buddy at our Goodyear dealer about them. He had them though they didn't advertise it.

I run 305/40 22's on my Silverado that didn't balance the first time, so I went to beads.

I didn't have much luck with the beads and plan to mechanically balance them again asap!

Originally I had a shake from 80k to 100k, but above and below those speeds it was gone. The beads allowed them to shake from 80k and well past 100k.

....thank god he's a good friend, so it doesn't cost me anything!

Back