Biometric ignition

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CustomMax

Reaction score
As a locksmith, I'm so f'n sick of keys that I'm gonna design a biometric ( fingerprint) lock for the ign for our bikes. They have door locks now and they have come WAY down in price compared to what they were. So it's just gonna be a matter of how to rig this so it turns the ign to the run position just by placing whichever finger or fingers you have programmed in. I'm gonna do some more research on the specifics and I'll keep posting as I figure this out. Wish me luck, Ed

Sounds like a great Idea, I hate keys. I do my best to leave the keys in anything I own (not in the ignition). At work I carry 60+ keys for all the different locks, trucks and equiptment. What would a biometric ignition cost?

Cool idea Ed! I usually just keep the max key by itself with no fob so it doesn't scratch the scoop. Always afraid of loosing it when I'm off the bike though, so the bio would be great!

cool idea. i love not having a key. i just hop and go

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

You can do that simply by using an Arduino board and the fingerprint reader coupled with a relay for ignition switch.

The reader is the key that inputs the board and then signals the power relay that works as the ignition switch... Ta da!...

I had set up with a supplier a few years ago but didn't put the first one on. This was going to allow you to carry a key fob in your pocket and as you approach the bike it would allow it to energize and be able to start.

Sean

That sounds like another alternative Sean if the actual fingerprint reader proves to not be cost effective. I'm all about high tech gadgets and I'm also looking into a rear facing camera instead of mirrors but I really want to find a video monitor that will fit somewhere that looks like it belongs and not just a big bulky add on on the bars. I've been looking to do the camera for awhile now but other things kept taking prescidence over it. But, someday.. I have alot more cool ideas, just wish I had the money to do them. Oh yea, this is my 1000th post! Glad I found this place. I've met some great guys here and without help from Sean and a few others I'm not sure where I'd be with my bike but I know it wouldn't be nearly as nice as it is. Thanks All!!!

You can buy powerful RFID key fob kits on ebay for ~100 that allow you to do what Sean said. ITs really basic.

Not sure if you know Scott Mellor he already has tis setup on his max im sure he could steer you in the right direction. JIM

This sounds like a good idea until someone really wants to steal your ride, and takes you're finger off to do it (happened in Malaysia). There are other ways around biometrics too, apparently. Still, I'd rather not tempt fate myself.

Many of these Biometric systems do not like water . Check your resources for info. on water proof , not water resistant. If you are searching specific mfgs. or products , let me know. I may be able to get a discount as I have been in the security industry for over 25 years. PM off site @ [email protected]

The bad boys also have done their homework on RFID as well. Many can duplicate your RFID signal with a " duplicator " , and copy it , just by being close to your card / transponder. Similar to a garage door transmitter / opener in your vehicle " learning " a radio receivers frequency / code on newer vehicles. :punk:

My wife just bought a 2014 mazda CX-5 it has the push to start feature. I know it's been around for a while and I didn't like it at first but know I love it. I would be interested in that if someone wants to design one ill take 1 right away.

Back