Bought a new battery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
Stepping up to the new age of battery for my motorcycle. Hard to imagine paying almost $150 for a battery..... but its 10 lbs lighter and has more cranking power and its more stable in cold weather. But almost double the price. But I get tired of having to replace batteries all the time.....

I picked up a Shorai off Amazon for $146. I shopped around a little and that was the cheapest I found. 18 amp. Lots of good reviews from others on cold weather starting ( several -33 below videos I found, but who rides in -33 degree weather? ).

Anyone here use Shorai?

Todd

I haven't but may give it a try based on reviews. I've always used Hawker Odyssey. I have only owned Vmaxes in the almost 20 years I've ridden and on the two I've owned I'm on my 3rd battery overall.

I had a shorai in my vmax and i like it. If i was you i would get on line and order a shorai charger for it. shorai and other lithium ion battery's take a differnt kind of charger. When ups hands it to you your gonna shit when you see that its a battery in your hands. Even if you know how light it is. When you install it you will be like i hope this toy cranks my bike.

I have used the "Phantom" series of batteries. The most expensive one ($300) works incredible!

I dident buy one but after i sold it i got a phone call about the kid leaving the key on and running the battery down. I was going to get a shorai battery tender for winter.

I have a Shorai battery. I destroyed the 1st one by first depleting it, then trying to charge it with too much current. It ballooned. Got it warrantied and the second one has worked well. If I use a regular charger on it now I only give it 2A or less of current. I recommend getting the Shorai charger because it charges each cell separately through a special port.

I have a Shorai battery. I destroyed the 1st one by first depleting it, then trying to charge it with too much current. It ballooned. Got it warrantied and the second one has worked well. If I use a regular charger on it now I only give it 2A or less of current. I recommend getting the Shorai charger because it charges each cell separately through a special port.

Interesting. I didn't research that part.....

I wasn't playing on buying a battery for the 14, but it did seem to be getting weaker each time I cranked it the last week or so.

Now I put a new smoked tail light in it and went to crank it up... it turned over a few times and died.

Which is seemed weak even from the get go.

So I figured might as well get a "good" battery this time. Lose 10 lbs , heck I can still eat donuts now!

Todd

Ya they are worth the money. The output of the battery actually increases when they heat up a little so you will notice lights get brighter after they are on for a few seconds and the bike cranks harder after a few tries.

Ive got a Shorai in my max and i love it! I havent gotten the charger for it yet though, just been using my battery tender jr and it seems to work just fine.

Ive got a Shorai in my max and i love it! I havent gotten the charger for it yet though, just been using my battery tender jr and it seems to work just fine.

You will not know if the Battery Tender worked till the battery dies from improper charging. Most of the specialized batteries including the Odyssey require special chargers. The higher resistance of these batteries fools the automatic chargers into believing they are fully charged. A flat rate standard (not automatic) charger on a timer works better. Just make sure it is the right amps. The battery should have come with this kind of info and charger recommendations.

I saw today that there are several Odyssey's on Ebay for $106. No charger needed.

I saw today that there are several Odyssey's on Ebay for $106. No charger needed.
I recently replaced my Odyssey (after 5 years of use) for $86 + $14 shipping from Apex battery.
The reason I had to replace it was that I had left my ignition on (headlight on high + 100 W bulb) for about a week. I tried to revive it without any luck. I know that was a big DOH! but I was very happy with the Odyssey batteries performance (aside from my battery killing mistake) so I had no qualms ordering another. I am using a Battery Tender to maintain it now but for the first 4 years I did nothing other than making sure the connections were tight on the previous battery.

On the expensive marine Gel cell batteries, a stepped R/R is used along with a special charger. My point is, is the charger worth it, if your going to connect it to the OEM charging system anyway? Or, can the charging port be utilized with the R/R?

Back