Bought a new helmet...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gasem

Reaction score
OK so the price was TOO good to pass up IMO.

I needed a new bucket anyway and well since I'm a bit of a poser I bought this one... :biglaugh:

http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/helmets/joe_rocket/rkt_101_carbon_motorcycle_helmet.html

It was 142 bucks for the copper colored one which is OK with me... I have a copper colored bike! :eusa_dance: I bought a dark tinted shield as well for like 22 bucks. Plus it comes with a helmet bag!

MSRP is/was 450.00 bucks!

I always keep an eye on New Enough but this deal was amazing.

Chris

Looks like a great deal Chris...
I just hate buying something like a helmet on line without trying it on first for fit and comfort.

I was thinking of one of those nolan flip up helmets myself, still undecided.

Looks like a great deal Chris...
I just hate buying something like a helmet on line without trying it on first for fit and comfort.

I was thinking of one of those nolan flip up helmets myself, still undecided.

Those offer nearly NO frontal crash protection... I've seen the pics of them after an accident. That's the reason they don't meet Snell ratings.

I talked to New Enough about the fitting issue and they have a no questions asked return policy. I HATE my dealers so it works for me. Especially for that price.

Chris

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Green.html

Those offer nearly NO frontal crash protection... I've seen the pics of them after an accident. That's the reason they don't meet Snell ratings.

I talked to New Enough about the fitting issue and they have a no questions asked return policy. I HATE my dealers so it works for me. Especially for that price.

Chris

Well you just made that decision easy for me...

I guess you can't go wrong with the return policy.
Let me know how you like it

That's the reason they don't meet Snell ratings.

I've heard that no one has submitted a modular for Snell to test, thats the reason for no Snell rating.
However, I've seen HJC is selling modulars with a Snell rating. but this is the only place I've seen the rating advertised.
http://www.amazon.com/HJC-CL-Max-Modular-Helmet-Metallics/dp/B000I4GOGM
Also a nice little article in feb's motorcyclist has snell changing thier criteria.
Apparantly the hemlets are going to have a little more give to them as to allow lessor shock be transferred.

I'll see if I can find my copy.

I've heard that no one has submitted a modular for Snell to test, thats the reason for no Snell rating.

Also a nice little article in feb's motorcyclist has snell changing thier criteria.
Apparantly the hemlets are going to have a little more give to them as to allow lessor shock be transferred.

I'll see if I can find my copy.

Yeah Motorcyclist came out a few years ago and said DOT's are safer than Snell and I agree. Snell rates them to take certain hit 2 times (i believe) in the same spot but Motorcyclist said how many times do you smack the same spot twice. Agreed! Snell was left reeling from it. I bought my wife a DOT HJC and it's great. The problem is finding a high quality accessory rich straight DOT helmet. Hence my Snell purchase.

I read the same thing about Snell and the flip-ups. Everyone knows that it won't pass so they don't send it in... lol

Check out the link I posted. I saw another one a few years ago where the guy messed up his jaw with one.

Full face is the safest no doubt. With pay at the pump I never take it off. I just pump and go.

Chris

Is that like dine and dash? LOL:rofl_200:
at $3.50/gal, I need to start doing that :)

I think you of all people here know what happens when you do that... lol

I have done that before on accident and gone back later and paid.

Chris

:punk:Chris, lucky you like Copper. Copper and Green are the only colors that are $142, all others are back ordered and $214. Good Job, Spur

:punk:Chris, lucky you like Copper. Copper and Green are the only colors that are $142, all others are back ordered and $214. Good Job, Spur

I know right? Only the titanium was B/O this afternoon though. I think the sale worked!:eusa_dance:

Me thinks I like the lecherous green model and I don't even have a green bike. Dammit, now I gotta paint another set of tins up! This is getting expensive!:damn angry:

Me thinks I like the lecherous green model and I don't even have a green bike. Dammit, now I gotta paint another set of tins up! This is getting expensive!:damn angry:

Me too! I actually like all the colors. The copper just made the most sense AND it was cheap like the green...

Well the helmet is GREAT! Fits great on my head (Arai head). If you like the fit of an HJC you'll probably like the JR as it's made by HJC. The difference I see is it's slightly longer in the front which for me is good because some past helmets I could touch the front of my mouth to them.

Comfort is high, love the speaker cutouts, venting is awesome. The front one in front of your mouth opens up and looks like a mouth so it's like ram air.

Finish is top rate and the carbon is nicely weaved. Color is subjective to personal taste. I like it... I don't LOVE it, but for 142 bucks I LIKE it and don't feel embarrassed wearing it or anything. PLUS! It comes with a helmet BAG! Not a stupid cloth cover but I whole bag which is like a bowling bag but with a soft liner. It has pockets and everything for your gloves and other stuff. Pretty nice.

Overall it was a great buy.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 20
Hey Chris

Just wondering if you have any more thoughts on this helmet since the Illinois ride. It was smokin hot and I'm wondering how the helmet performed - keep your head cool?

Hey Chris

Just wondering if you have any more thoughts on this helmet since the Illinois ride. It was smokin hot and I'm wondering how the helmet performed - keep your head cool?

I didn't ride on Sunday so I didn't get to try it out on the hotter of the two days but on Saturday it was great. It's the best helmet I've had in a long long time. The front air scoop really grabs the air.

Chris

Back