brake fluid resevoir.. paint chipped off.. how to fix?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattness

Reaction score
i was just wondering if anyone has any experience trying to get it "back to black" with out just pulling it all off and repainting or powdercoating it.

black sharpie? hell i dunno

Try womens nail polish,sharpie fades and washes off and is hard to apply with that dumb felt tip.

I actually found nail polish the color of my bike in my girlfriends "pretty crap" box and swiped it.Makes perfect for touch ups because it hardens after drying.

So get in touch with your inner goth and go buy some black nail polish.:biglaugh:

i sprayed some high temp spray paint in a paint tray and brushed it on. just masked off the important stuff. its held up so far.

Try womens nail polish,sharpie fades and washes off and is hard to apply with that dumb felt tip.

I actually found nail polish the color of my bike in my girlfriends "pretty crap" box and swiped it.Makes perfect for touch ups because it hardens after drying.

So get in touch with your inner goth and go buy some black nail polish.:biglaugh:

seems cheap enough! ill raid my gfs room friday

It's probably not chipped off. In most cases it's due to one of three things. The first two being the most common. #1 most common is people don't properly clean the edge and lid to remove excess brake fluid which is better than some paint strippers at removing paint. #2 is bugs. The protein in bugs will eat the paint. #3 is of course rock chips from rogue rocks.

Chris

i sprayed some high temp spray paint in a paint tray and brushed it on. just masked off the important stuff. its held up so far.

+1 on this method. It's the way I go.

I also go out of my way during my annual fluid changeout to make sure there is no brake fluid on the lid or gasket during reassembly so none gets on the paint.

+1 on this method. It's the way I go.

I also go out of my way during my annual fluid changeout to make sure there is no brake fluid on the lid or gasket during reassembly so none gets on the paint.

It's a good idea to take a single edged razor blade and 'draw' it across the top edge of the reservoir flange, corrosion builds up there, pushing the cover up slightly, allowing fluid to creep out. Angle the razor slightly so the scrapped material falls to the outside and not in the reservoir.

It's a good idea to take a single edged razor blade and 'draw' it across the top edge of the reservoir flange, corrosion builds up there, pushing the cover up slightly, allowing fluid to creep out. Angle the razor slightly so the scrapped material falls to the outside and not in the reservoir.

I clean the rim with a clean rag dipped in carb cleaner very carefully. A long time ago, in a different life, with a different bike, I accidentally gouged that rim while trying to clean the gunk off it with a flat edge (I think it was a putty knife). Sharp tools can be dangerous in my hands. :rofl_200:

I clean the rim with a clean rag dipped in carb cleaner very carefully. A long time ago, in a different life, with a different bike, I accidentally gouged that rim while trying to clean the gunk off it with a flat edge (I think it was a putty knife). Sharp tools can be dangerous in my hands. :rofl_200:

Carb cleaner will remove paint.

Non-Chlorinated brake clean will not and it works great.

I've had my covers off several times and my blocks still look new.

When ever I am doing anything with brake fluid I remove the faux cover and use old towels to cover all the rest of the paint up.

Chris

ya i went ahead and put some black finger nail polish on and it looks like its gonna work. shibby

Back