Brake lights not working, suggestions?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennsVmax

Reaction score
Hi, 2006 V Max. Brake lights not working. The 2 connectors (female, in clear plastic) that connect to the male connectors on the bottom of the brake fluid resavore by the front brake were off. I replaced them. No luck brake lights still out.

I pulled the cover off the tail light and there are 2 bulbs with 2 filaments each. Each one has one that comes on when I start the bike (running light) and the filaments look ok. The brake lights will not come on when I hit the front or rear brake.
After playing with them I noticed that my Green neutral light is out now also.

Any suggestions? is is there a fuse or relay I should look for and would you let me know where it is located.
Thanks

check also the break switches, I had the same issues due a defective front switch although the rear brake light was still working.

The front brake switch is prone to failure. May need replacing or you can try cleaning it up. I used a little wd40 on mine and it started working again. I don't know if that's a good thing to use but it's all I had at the time and it worked.

Dale #2592

There are two wires on each switch, if your handy with a 12v test light or a multimeter you should have power at one of the wires with the key on, also I have found bulbs to be bad even if the filaments look good.........................Tom.

Thanks guys, I will try a shot of wd40, then new lights then take seat and cover and check the fuses and for loose wires.

People always said I had a loose wire!

If the fuse had blown then I would expect the horn, neutral, oil and fuel level bubs, temperature gauge, rev counter and turn signals to be a.w.o.l.

If these are all working (you mentioned that the neutral light wasn't?) then check that you have power going to both front and rear brake light switches.

Latest posts

Back