Brake Sound?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zexus

Reaction score
Another quick question guys. When I push on my handle bars and compress the forks by holding the front brakes I hear a faint thud or clunk. Is in normal to hear that sound. Don't think it is the forks or the steering bearings. Pretty sure the faint sound is coming from the front brakes. I have to push pretty hard to get the sound. The forks have to travel about an inch and a half to hear it. Thoughts?

Another quick question guys. When I push on my handle bars and compress the forks by holding the front brakes I hear a faint thud or clunk. Is in normal to hear that sound. Don't think it is the forks or the steering bearings. Pretty sure the faint sound is coming from the front brakes. I have to push pretty hard to get the sound. The forks have to travel about an inch and a half to hear it. Thoughts?

I take it your running stock front fork springs on your vmax? If you are, what is the air pressure setting? The normal is between 5 - 14 psi. Anything more will blow your gaskets while anything less will bottom out and you get that thug or clunk sound. I swapped out to progressive fork springs and case solve. Better performance and response while no more air pressure.

I take it your running stock front fork springs on your vmax? If you are, what is the air pressure setting? The normal is between 5 - 14 psi. Anything more will blow your gaskets while anything less will bottom out and you get that thug or clunk sound. I swapped out to progressive fork springs and case solve. Better performance and response while no more air pressure.

Actually I am running progressives and I noticed the sound after I completed the install. Didn't notice if there was the sound before I put the new springs and 1 inch lowering kit in, so I am not sure if it was there before or not. Only had the bike for a few weeks. Thought at first that I did something wrong with the install but can't see what that could have been. There is no sound when I push on the forks while not using the brakes...only can hear it when I hold the front brake lever and shove down hard.

Too much fork oil or too much brake fluid?I could have messed either one up I guess...I've done dumber things then that! Would that cause a noise though?
Impossible to put too much brake fluid in. You can however have too much fork oil in your forks. How much does the fork compress when you sit on it? It should be about 1/3 of the travel (my '92 has 5.5" so sag should be around 1.8"). According to Clymers manual the forks need to be collapsed and without springs. My '92's measurement is 5.5".

As you have the pads gripping the disc's they could be moving in the caliper body - does it happen when you don't have the brake applied?

Impossible to put too much brake fluid in. You can however have too much fork oil in your forks. How much does the fork compress when you sit on it? It should be about 1/3 of the travel (my '92 has 5.5" so sag should be around 1.8"). According to Clymers manual the forks need to be collapsed and without springs. My '92's measurement is 5.5".

I think Brian is dead on the issue. I too have the progressive lowering kit with 1" drop. I think Brain has it with 2" drop. Doesn't matter, but I think you have far too much sag in your setup. Check your travel. Did you cut your spacers to spec from progressive and follow the recommended oil filling method? It definitely sounds like your bottoming out there.

As you have the pads gripping the disc's they could be moving in the caliper body - does it happen when you don't have the brake applied?

I put the front wheel up against the garage wall and did the push/pull on the handle bars and their was no sound. I even balanced myself on the bike and jumped up and down on the foot pegs compressing the suspension and did not hear the sound. It only happens when the front brake is compressed and I do the push/pull on the bars.

I think Brian is dead on the issue. I too have the progressive lowering kit with 1" drop. I think Brain has it with 2" drop. Doesn't matter, but I think you have far too much sag in your setup. Check your travel. Did you cut your spacers to spec from progressive and follow the recommended oil filling method? It definitely sounds like your bottoming out there.

Ya, I cut my spacers 1 1/4 inches and followed Sean's video exactly. Don't think it is bottoming out. Really think it has something to do with the front brakes but can't figure out what it is. It is driving me crazy! :confused2:

What Steve said above. Plus make sure your caliper mounting bolts are torqued properly. Check rotor mounting bolts as well.

As noted, check caliper and rotor mounting. Most likely the pads are moving just a touch. It only does it with the brakes applied. If you push against a wall, it doesn't do it. My 06 makes a noise that seems similar to what you describe. I believe it is normal.

Ya, I cut my spacers 1 1/4 inches and followed Sean's video exactly. Don't think it is bottoming out. Really think it has something to do with the front brakes but can't figure out what it is. It is driving me crazy! :confused2:

Funny thing, last year I kept hearing a knocking sound once in awhile and I didnt figure it out until I was detailing my bike one day to find that the caliper mounting bolts were loose. I lost the bottom one and the top was loose allowing the caliper on hard bumps to slap the rotor. :bang head:

All caliper bolts are tight. Really think it is the pads ever so slightly moving back and forth in the calipers. Pretty sure I have eliminated the forks and bearings. If is the pads, should I replace or simply not worry about it...the pads are still meaty. Thanks everyone.

I would not worry all that much about it. You can see if there is any "wiggle" in the pads when not squeezed.

Sean

Make sure the center nut on the top tree clamp is securely tightened. Mine will make a "clunk" from the front end when rocking it/hitting bumps if that nut isn't really cranked down. A 1 1/16" end wrench works great.

Latest posts

Back