Buying a used 1st gen V-Max - skinny short guy lol

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. Yeah, I learned a few things from the Ducati, namely, don't just go and buy everything you can think of to make it 'trick'. Sure it was a great bike, but 2 years into buying parts, I would have done it completely differently, and probably for less money, not buying so much 'bling'.

I've wanted a VMax since 1985, the year I got my license, so having one in great shape, stock (with exhaust, bags, and some little goodies of course), will be a dream come true. Modding it is not as important as riding it, this time around:) And the experience will allow me to build a better bike in the long run...conducive to HOW I ride and WHAT I truly want it to be...

Shawn

Hey guys, an update. I think I just bought a Harley lol. I sat on a VMax a bit ago, and it was low but big in the crotch I lost a lot of height there. Then I sat on a 48, and it even felt lighter than my Ducati, but I guess that's the seat height. I practically dragged my knees at a standstill... I am a bit bummed that an old lust didn't work out but at the same time I finally found a Harley that doesn't weigh 800 pounds and I see a lot of potential for the way I ride. I've never had an interest in the big Harleys, but you can turbo a Sportster or add some soft bags for a 2 day trip or buy an incredible number of custom parts for a lot less than Ducati parts. Who knows, I might sell it next year, haven't taken delivery yet, but right now I'm happy:) Think 48 with 240 rear tire and turbo and some soft bags when I wanna get away:) Shawn

Is anyone else getting that kicked-in-the-testicles feeling????:confused2:

I didn't mean anything bad:( The combination of seat height and width is the reason I walked away, not the bike itself. It felt very heavy. I now (or will at the end of the deal) have a bike that couldn't stand against a VMax, but I had to think about riding it every day. I'm also not getting younger. If I was capable of hardcore, I'd have kept the Ducati. Hope that makes sense:( Shawn

Better get-acquainted w/the 'do-rag' forums. How-many black t-shirts have you bought?

You know where to find us. Good luck w/the "it's not a bike, it's a lifestyle/if I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand" folks.

H-D has an amazing industry supporting their product though, and next to Ford, their brand & emblem is probably one of the best-known in the world.

Hey Daffy,
You do whats right for you. It's not for us to decide what you like. Most of us here just have a stronge passion for the Vmax and always try to share it with whoever will listen. No worries:eusa_dance:. Your always welcome.

Thanks guys. Trust me, I'll always love the VMax, have since it came out. Was very sad to realize how uncomfortable I was with it. As far as 'lifestyle' etc., I ran into that issue with the Ducati, too...it seems people expect you to be a bit different, and I never really fit into that crowd (frankly the Ducati guys often told me I should be on a Harley lol). I suspect I won't fit in with the Harley crowd either, not that I mind. When I ride, I always ride alone and it's between me, the bike, the road, and God, if that makes sense. Of course I like to try and make my bikes cool (whatever that means) but I've never really been into the lifestyle as far as that is branded by anyone. I'm just me:) I'll be around, I'm always lurking here:) Shawn
Better get-acquainted w/the 'do-rag' forums. How-many black t-shirts have you bought?

You know where to find us. Good luck w/the "it's not a bike, it's a lifestyle/if I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand" folks.

H-D has an amazing industry supporting their product though, and next to Ford, their brand & emblem is probably one of the best-known in the world.

I will say one thing, I'm not looking forward to wearing a half-open/non-Snell peanut on my head. Maybe I can get away with a Simpson Bandit without getting laughed at:( And regarding black T-Shirts. I always wear leather jackets because I don't have enough tatoos for T-Shirts...haha:)

Just curious, what seat was on the Max you sat on. Factory, Corbin? I Sat on a Vmax with a corbin seat and IMHO, it felt like a wide brick compared to my factory seat. I like my factory seat, but there are also 3 or 4 different custom seat that guys on the board provide, that are supposed to be far superior to factory.

Hey, you did the $$ Euro-snob-bike, now the American Legend, and you can always pick-up a used Vmax for what you spent in carbon-fiber & boutique speed parts on the Ducati. See the "Miami-bound" thread by CaptainKyle yesterday for what you can get if you are persistent, diligent, and ready to purchase. Bargains are out there, and as far as the seat, you can have one sculptured to fit your stature & build. My opinion is, the stock is narrower than the Early Corbin I have. As ?"RaWarrior" suggested, you don't even need the stock bolts for the front seat, the gas cap bolster locked in place will hold the stock seat & give better access to the battery. I am not using bolts for my Corbin. The stock frame holes don't line-up w/the Corbin bolt holes.

Find a reasonable-shape VMax & use it as a hobby.

OR buy a MAXGASSER, lower,narrower,easier to fuel and foam made for you! , but anyway sounds like the max may have two many cylinders for you(daffy) anyway. Good luck with whatever bike you settle on( cause if its not a max you are just settling) and keep it shinny side up.

Dude, you totally missed out on having an awesome bike!

I was thinking when you said 48, do you mean 1948? Coz I've never ever been into Harleys, but now that I've got a nice bike that I never want to lose, I would love to get an older Harley like that.
It's not like having a bike, it's like having a vintage car. Most people don't see it that way, but I do and I think it would be nice.

Anyway, whatever it is, I hope you have fun with it! Lots of cheap parts and a million different options. (Buy a Vmax, for the days the Harley breaks down..... :rofl_200:)

I think the "48" is a newer model of the current lineup, a Sportster?

I had not heard of the "fourty eight" until last week when we ordered up a Vance and Hines header (i'm a dealer for them too) and K&N filter for one (that is in the UAE).

Sean

Latest posts

Back