Cam swap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with ya there. When I checked compression on Frank's 132 rwhp bike it was 200-205 psi all the way around.

It's all about a good break-in there... I pulled 124 on a stock motor which is pretty good with 2900 miles on it... Well IMO anyways. :confused2:

It's all about a good break-in there... I pulled 124 on a stock motor which is pretty good with 2900 miles on it... Well IMO anyways. :confused2:

After breaking in rings and lifters if they aren't rollers, you beat on 'em. That's what we've noticed building engines for drag applications. If it's gonna blow, better to do it down the street than "X" amount of miles away. *shrugs*

Man after reading this I'm not waisting my time doing anything other than replacing gaskets on this stocker engine. Looks like I'm definetely looking for a Venture motor this winter to build up next year.

interesting thread...

for what its worth... I dont categorize internal engine work (cams compression and porting) with nitrous . i understand the bang for the buck argument but in my mind building an engine is about matching the proper cam to the right heads and compression to achieve the most power one can from the given architecture...

I nice build up may also involve displacement increases but again, you dont fully realize the benefit of those extra cubes until you match the cam specs and the head flow appropriately.

I sometimes think of nitros a bit like steroids.... its cheating. You get away with it because its cheap and it works but its not the same things as a solid program for building a lasting strong motor.

No disrespect to those nitros lovers out there....it definitely works....but where is the fun and challenge in it... with vmax motors in junk yards etc, you can get one on your work bench pretty quick and just tinker with it as you save uo your pennies and build a real nice little mill. Sean seems to have quite a few ideas on what works and what doesnt.... its a good resource for a fun project.

I sometimes think of nitros a bit like steroids.... its cheating.

Never understood this, I love nitrous for drag racing apps, and in that world you'd better have a solid platform before you put the big spray on something.

No disrespect to those nitros lovers out there....it definitely works....but where is the fun and challenge in it...

It's a money thing, go fast for cheap with a small shot.

Those are for drag racing purposes though. I don't want a bottle on the bike, I figured the all-mighty Max engine would respond better to bolt on's and engine work, but I guess not, which is unfortunate but it is what it is. Off to find a donor for more displacment.

Back