Cam swap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuarterHorse

Reaction score
I can't seem to find where I got the info, but I was looking at the PCW 3 cams and I was thinking it was in the neighborhood of almost 10 rwhp or something in that area.

This being said, it's 700 for cams, 125 for spring kit, and whatever for gaskets so I'm around $900.00 to do cams. Is it really worth it on a stock engine?

I would have to say yes , it would be worth it .what other mod is there out there that would add 10 plus horse for $ 900 other than exhaust . I can't think of any . I may be wrong but I would . Just a thought , Jason

Well I'm not sure if it was adding 10 horse though. I can't remember where I saw it.

To be honest I wouldnt spend 900.00 on cams if you have a stock head. I would have to disagree with a 10HP increase just by drop in cams IMO.
I would atleast do a mild port and polish to the heads. I think most would be disapointed after spending 900.00
Spend the 900 for some NOS if you want to wake the VMAX up.

I would have to say yes , it would be worth it .what other mod is there out there that would add 10 plus horse for $ 900 other than exhaust . I can't think of any . I may be wrong but I would . Just a thought , Jason

I would agree with Lankee... of course you have to worry about filling bottles and you don't have it all the time like you would with cams, but I think I have less than $1000 in my entire nitrous setup and with a 40HP shot I was posting a little more HP than cams will give you. I'm going to be doing a write-up on my entire system with pictues and lessons learned... maybe I can even get it published in the next VBOOST mag.

Jeff

I don't know if cams only would give that much of a gain.

Sean

I have zero issues with nitrous, and am VERY familiar with it in automotive set ups. I just don't like looking at a bottle hanging of a bike that I ride every day. I know I could take the bottle off, but now I've lost the HP/TQ that I was looking for, and we all know how things work out. I may get into a friendly race with somebody, and I took the bottle off for asthetics. Back to the 122 horse instead of the 160+.

I know nitrous is the best bang per buck, I just don't want to try to hide solenoids, lines, and a bottle or two smaller bottles on a bike that doesn't have storage, let alone places to hide those things.

Perhaps I'd better start looking for a Venture motor to build a stroker out of, I'm not sure.

Same stroke - bigger bore. I did have a nearly concealed NOS setup that would be good for low levels (maybe up to 40 but 20 would be even better). I think the bottle might even be adapted to conceal but would be a bit hard (prob not impossible) to do.

Sean

Just put the tank in a back pack. If someone asks what the hoses are for just say you work for Budweiser and you're testing a custom beer bong.

I like that Maleko haha.

Sean -

No strokers out of the Venture motor, just an overbore? Hmm...

I'm sure I could do a good job hiding solenoids, lines etc. but by the time I get a bottle that would be small enough to hide any way decent, it would be good for maybe to hits on a 40 shot?

Nitrous in a car is no issue, I can hide bottles, run a 20lb or 2 20lb bottles if I need to depending on how much I'm spraying etc. On the V-Max I was hoping for more N/A HP as I don't want to hide a bottle or have one hanging off the side of the bike. Nothing wrong with that *cough Jeff cough Jeff* :D it's just not for me.

The 1300 is a pretty good way to go and keep the costs down. Fargo (RagingMan) made 130rwhp on the one we put together for him and we used Ross pistons and ported heads with stock cams. The first pull was 122 then he went and broke it in some more and changed the jets and pulled 130 with a table like 82 ft lbs of torque. I think by the time it gets all the way broke in it should pull around 135.

Sean

I guess I would have thought a good set of cams and a head port would put me closer to the mid 130's since I'm at 122 rwhp now and hope to be around 125 with some more tuning.

I'll have to start looking for Venture motors and see if I can come up with a deal to start to build.

I guess I would have thought a good set of cams and a head port would put me closer to the mid 130's since I'm at 122 rwhp now and hope to be around 125 with some more tuning.

I'll have to start looking for Venture motors and see if I can come up with a deal to start to build.
Get with Sean , pretty sure he has a venture block atleast I think he told me he had .Thats what I am putting together soon .

Well I'm not sure if it was adding 10 horse though. I can't remember where I saw it.

Save your $$$ the cams only start to work after 6000 rpms . If you don`t do any other engine work it`s not worth it .

like they say ( been there done that )

Save your $$$ the cams only start to work after 6000 rpms . If you don`t do any other engine work it`s not worth it .

like they say ( been there done that )

Could you elaborate on what you did, and what cams you installed? I didn't intend on more power 'till around/past that point anyway, but would like some more light shed on the subject.

Thanks

I am running Web .383 lift cams with ported heads.Similar to stage 3.

The biggsest thing that I regret is not putting higher compression pistons in when I changed them.

I love how it sounds and runs but it was only a 10 hp gain.Wasn't cheap.

for what it's worth. 1991 vmax pcw 1261 12.5 piston, stock head & cam,39 flat slides dynoed @ pcw 138 rwhp and 1/4 e.t. @ 10.42 w/220 lb rider. compression and carbs woke the bike up

I am running Web .383 lift cams with ported heads.Similar to stage 3.

The biggsest thing that I regret is not putting higher compression pistons in when I changed them.

I love how it sounds and runs but it was only a 10 hp gain.Wasn't cheap.
Shawn~
Do you have a dyno graph of that combination? I'd like to see how the curve lays out for those cams. Thanks! :)

Shawn~
Do you have a dyno graph of that combination? I'd like to see how the curve lays out for those cams. Thanks! :)

I'll try to find it.I was let down when it only pulled 131 something hp.That was after adding kehein fcr's,porting,cams,dyna3000,slotted sprockets,degreed cams,kibblewhite springs and a valve job all in one winter.

Higher compression is a must for good power.I will not make that mistake again.

I'll try to find it.I was let down when it only pulled 131 something hp.That was after adding kehein fcr's,porting,cams,dyna3000,slotted sprockets,degreed cams,kibblewhite springs and a valve job all in one winter.

Higher compression is a must for good power.I will not make that mistake again.

I agree with ya there. When I checked compression on Frank's 132 rwhp bike it was 200-205 psi all the way around.

Back