carb meet manifold / oily intake boots

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: carb meet manifold

It's mostly just gas, might be a tiny bit of oil mist due to crank case breathers put vent gas through there. Nothing hurt though. Fuel comes up from the needle jet and some of it goes through the slide hole....so a bit of fuel is normal. Mine are a bit wet.....just like my women.
your a lucky guy :eusa_dance:

Oily Boots?

I have noticed that I have oil on the rubber boots that connect the carb to the manifold, as well as the rubber boots connected to the v-boost valve. This oil has been running down and is puddling right on top of the case (right underneath boots).

I've checked the crank case overflow tube, it's on tight and there are no leaks from that. The carbs themselves seem (semi) clean. The oil is only on the boots. I thought it was a gas leak at first, but this IS oil. Is there any way that the boots could be bad, and oil is leaking out of them some how?

I just replaced the valve cover gaskets, and they are nice, clean and dry. This problem seems to be centered around where the carbs meet the manifold boots - and below. My oil level is actually a little low, so I don't think it's an "overfill" of oil. Has anyone seen or heard of something like this, or know what a possible fix could be?

2 of the carb manifold bolts need silicone on them.They are tapped into the heads where there is oil.Mine are the 2 silver ones. The outside left ones when looking at each side of the motor.Make sense?

Re: Oily Boots?

I have noticed that I have oil on the rubber boots that connect the carb to the manifold, as well as the rubber boots connected to the v-boost valve. This oil has been running down and is puddling right on top of the case (right underneath boots).

I've checked the crank case overflow tube, it's on tight and there are no leaks from that. The carbs themselves seem (semi) clean. The oil is only on the boots. I thought it was a gas leak at first, but this IS oil. Is there any way that the boots could be bad, and oil is leaking out of them some how?

I just replaced the valve cover gaskets, and they are nice, clean and dry. This problem seems to be centered around where the carbs meet the manifold boots - and below. My oil level is actually a little low, so I don't think it's an "overfill" of oil. Has anyone seen or heard of something like this, or know what a possible fix could be?
bigmak wherer talking the bottmn boot.....cant see where it comes in contact or is close to any part of the motor that oil can get to the boots both rear boots and lightly on front boot......i cleaned up everything good and keeping and eye on it....like you said top and bottom of carb and manifold are clean..airbox dry..thanks for posting keep me posted with your finds

2 of the carb manifold bolts need silicone on them.They are tapped into the heads where there is oil.Mine are the 2 silver ones. The outside left ones when looking at each side of the motor.Make sense?
well shawn its about time you come out with this info ill take a look...

after a few rides the boots are starting to get wet again...dont think its an oil leak theres no oil above or below i think the boots are pours ,bad ,cracked. something is wrong with the boots...its warranty time both rear boots and after a while the front will start

Have you tried tightening them? The carbs might not be properly seated or the clamps aren't on right. The indent in the clamp needs to seat on the boot rib.

Also, make sure the float drain screws are tight. If not a bit could seap out of the screw.

Have you tried tightening them? The carbs might not be properly seated or the clamps aren't on right. The indent in the clamp needs to seat on the boot rib.

Also, make sure the float drain screws are tight. If not a bit could seap out of the screw.
yes i tightened clamps .... drain screws are tight .... boots are sitting on the small taps or stops on manifold and carbs are sitting on top of boots as far as they can go. I notice what ever the hell it is... at the clamp screws first ....seems like it works its way along the inside of the clamps then at the opening where the band stops it seeps on THE screws.....when looking at the band looks dry but the top and bottom of the band if you move the lip of rubber you seem oil or whatever cant be gas id smell it....i see no other place how oil could get there... bike is running great starting great

I decided to take my air box off this morning, and I noticed that the bottom of the box has a thin film of oil on it. The weird thing is that the crank case hose was on tight, and I even opened the "puke can" and it was bone dry.

I dont' think the leak could be coming from the manifold bolts, it seems to be much higher than that. When I took the air box off, there was a thin film that was also on the carb hoses, and even a little held in the head of the screws on top of the carbs. Doesn't smell like gas. This crap is coming from somwhere, just can't figure it out.

I think I'm going to wrap the bottom part of my air box and crank case hose in shop towels and go riding for awhile. Just need to see if they get wet after riding.

I decided to take my air box off this morning, and I noticed that the bottom of the box has a thin film of oil on it. The weird thing is that the crank case hose was on tight, and I even opened the "puke can" and it was bone dry.

I dont' think the leak could be coming from the manifold bolts, it seems to be much higher than that. When I took the air box off, there was a thin film that was also on the carb hoses, and even a little held in the head of the screws on top of the carbs. Doesn't smell like gas. This crap is coming from somwhere, just can't figure it out.

I think I'm going to wrap the bottom part of my air box and crank case hose in shop towels and go riding for awhile. Just need to see if they get wet after riding.

bigmark any coolant .antifreeze lines around the area where talking about antifreeze has an oily feel to it thanks for the updates

Checked the lines in the immediate area, seem to be clean, no drips or anything. Also, where this stuff puddles on the case is definitely brown and not green in color, so I'm almost positive this is oil.

follow up.....intake boots are staying dry and oil catch is staying clean with 3,5 qts...before with 4 qts oil catch was a big mess and boots where always wet with oil and only at the boots no where else...

follow up.....intake boots are staying dry and oil catch is staying clean with 3,5 qts...before with 4 qts oil catch was a big mess and boots where always wet with oil and only at the boots no where else...

Are you saying you were having excess crankcase oil pressure which led to more than normal blow by?
I would have to agree 4 qts is a bit much, I think its about 3.75-3.80 when the oil level is up to the top line on the site glass.

Hey 113, I have the hardest time looking at my sight glass when moving but it can be done right before the crash!! Sorry, I coudn't resist!

Are you saying you were having excess crankcase oil pressure which led to more than normal blow by?
I would have to agree 4 qts is a bit much, I think its about 3.75-3.80 when the oil level is up to the top line on the site glass.
;;

im saying 3.5 only because when i loosened the drain bolt,I placed a measuring cup underneath at 16 oz drained i could start to see the oil at the top of the site glass...tightened the drain bolt............last oil change drained oil..then added 4 qts....ill go buy site glass for now on....must of been way over full if 3.75-3.80 is full.....

I dont know if this helps but here goes..

Motor ran up to 210F
Drain oil from pan.
Remove Oil Filter
Let oil drain from both 15 mins.
Place drain plug back in
Screw on new oil filter.
Add 3.5 qts of your favorite oil.
Start the engine let it run to ensure no leaks.
Turn off wait 3 mins.
Put bike on level surface.
Knee down on the right side and tilt bike off kick stand
Level the bike
Add oil slowly till you see it in the sight glass
Once you see the oil little over half way stop.
the rest of the oil will drain making the level almost to the top line.
Oil change done.

NO LOW OIL LIGHT.
Not to much oil to blow your gaskets out.

well my boots been dry for some time now.......someone said and i forget who it was probably the lube on the boots at the factory to keep the rubber fresh during storage.....lot of worry for nothing...atleast it got me to take off the air box and feel like a motor head :rofl_200:

just wanted to say probably +1 on this as well.. my boots were oily and a little oil in the top of the airbox. i haven't changed the oil in the bike yet but its pretty high in the sight glass and i think this could be called somewhat common for overfill...

i'll post for sure in march/april...

Back