Carb Sync Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaboom

Reaction score
OK.......

I have Gamorg's sync tool......I read the writeup on how to do it.....

My question is If I hook the sync tool to the #1"master" carb......

And then sync 2 3 and 4 individually to #1.....why do I have to sync side to side???

I guess I just don't understand what is going on here like I thought I did.....Am I over thinking this???:confused2:

The more I try to figure out what is going on the more I confuse myself....:bang head:

Yeah.......I'm dumb.....so HUMOR ME DAMMIT:damn angry:

Seriously......What is going on here that I am missing???:ummm:

The adjustment screw on #1 sync's #1 to the master carb-#2

The screw on #3 sync's #3 with #4

The screw on #4 sync's #3 & #4 with #1 & #2

yep ..its all in the way the linkage is made.

yu sync each side 1 st then synch the 2 sides to each other.

has that sync tool only got two hoses? Or four?

If only two, sync 1 & 2 together first. Then sync 3 & 4 to each other on the right hand side. Then hook it up to 1 & 3 (or 2 & 4) and sync both sides.

The screw for 1 & 2 is on the left. For 3 & 4 and both sides, the screws are on the right side.

This is why having a four tube sync tool is beneficial! lol

When you adjust one it will change another slightly so you have to go back and forth a bit to get it dialed in correctly.

Chris

cant wait to do mine with the weber as i got a stg 7 with individual filters and no more vboost in there so gotta isolate each one. was thinking of buying two but just as easy to move it around all four.

what made you pick this one kyle instead of a motion or carb tune?

cant wait to do mine with the weber as i got a stg 7 with individual filters and no more vboost in there so gotta isolate each one. was thinking of buying two but just as easy to move it around all four.

what made you pick this one kyle instead of a motion or carb tune?

So you're using the air flow unit right? Mounts on top of the carb with the filters off?

Chris

he has mine because i can't legally ship my mercury model. plus this one costs $1 to ship it. he didn't buy it, just borrowing...

anyways yea, Kyle, do what danny says. problem is if you adjust carb 4 to carb 1 it messes with the carb 3/4 adjustments.

call me anytime if u want some clarification.

So you're using the air flow unit right? Mounts on top of the carb with the filters off?

Chris

yup thats the one as i got no way to isolate the carbs with vboost gone.

havent done it yet waiting to get back home to where that bike is. was working on the carbs found two screws stripped PO must have played with them and didnt leave me much to work with so i finally got the old a/f screws out. next re-sync with it, you just push it down ontop of the carb and its got a rubber plug/seal. suppose to work pretty good, i hope so :ummm:

he has mine because i can't legally ship my mercury model. plus this one costs $1 to ship it. he didn't buy it, just borrowing...

anyways yea, Kyle, do what danny says. problem is if you adjust carb 4 to carb 1 it messes with the carb 3/4 adjustments.

call me anytime if u want some clarification.

mmmmm i thought it was just colored water..... ya ya colored water :biglaugh:

its all legal 'til you get caught.
there was no DG paper work when mine was sent by mail, it depends on the amount of mercury then you are restricted.

mmmmm i thought it was just colored water..... ya ya colored water :biglaugh:

its all legal 'til you get caught.
there was no DG paper work when mine was sent by mail, it depends on the amount of mercury then you are restricted.

let me also add i'd have to drain the mercury otherwise it'd all spill out.

check ur PMs ro

im sure the one you sent kyle will work just fine, just hassling ya. ya just checking them out now.

haha i know! i would have loved to goto the PO with that. "ugh yea this box can't be tipped the other way otherwise the mercury will fall out."

need a internal auto upright device/ gyro haha or mouse in a wheel running to keep it upright

or it put a car alarm in there with a gyro sensor!

OK.......It's all in the way they set up the linkage system.....

So.....let me see if I understand the process....sync left side......sync right side.....

Then sync right to left using 2 carbs....one from each side.....but it does not matter which carbs I use as long as they are on opposite sides.....right:ummm:

right. if you're anal you will verify with the other two carbs when you balance the banks. and then maybe another combo just to make sure.

right. if you're anal you will verify with the other two carbs when you balance the banks. and then maybe another combo just to make sure.

Got it.......sounds like a good Saturday afternoon job....

I just got done mowing my lawn.......in APRIL!!!!!:damn angry:

i wish i had a couple hours to mow mine, its gonna bea jungle by next week.

I just did the carbs on my '97. Borrowed the carb sync rack from my work, it's for Honda marine outboards, but whatever. Worked just fine.

The picture is what I found when I first hooked it up. The two left gauges are for the left cylinders, ect.

The difference between the lowest and highest cylinder was a little more than 1 inch of mercury, so they weren't horribly off. After a couple minutes of making slight adjustments and blipping the gas, I had them all set. I found the best accuracy I could get was within about .5 in/Hg, and got all 4 cylinders set to about 8.5inHg of vacuum at ~1000 RPM idle. Adjusting one side has a tiny effect on the other, and the dial type manometer is a little harder to read than a column of Kool-aid. The needles inherently "bounce" a tiny bit, even after playing with the damper valves underneath.

The idle is a little smoother, and it's also now maybe 100 RPM faster than when I started. The engine just sounds a little bit happier cruising around town, though I still have that mildly annoying hesitation at highway speeds. Now I've ruled out everything, so it must be the crappy ethanol laced gas around here. It seems to come and go with different tankfuls of gas.

Attachments

• 0508001449.jpg
    0508001449.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back