Ceramic or Stainless?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulibiker

Reaction score
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a Marks exhaust.

I like the look of black, but how does the ceramic coating hold up?

First off, have you done a search of "ceramic" in the exhaust section of the forum?

I think the longevity of ceramic coating depends on the quality of the application and materials used to coat. Preparation of the surface, application and curing of the product, and product used. No idea about the quality of Mark's ceramic coating, but the Holeshot coating on my headers flaked off after 5 years of the bike not being used much. The previous owner installed the set, rode 2 years then parked the 'max for 3 years prior to selling it. I bought the bike knowing a re-coat was needed. I hope it lasts.. had it recoated by Lo-Ko coatings in Chicago. I had a tough time reinstalling the pipes because the coating is thick! Time will tell how durable it is.
In another experience, I had an 87 Monte Carlo SS and was given a set of used, very very rusty Edelbrock emission legal headers for it. Had them sandblasted and powdercoated silver. 11 years later and many miles in all weather, and it looks more matte than shiny, and beginning to oxidize but otherwise in great functional shape. Keeps the underhood temp down too... but that's a different consideration in a car. Nonetheless a good ceramic coating should give you a serviceable, long life. Re-coating the Vmax system is under $150.. if needed.

I'd say go with what you like. Ask Mark about returns and customer experiences. Don't know the guy, but seems to get good reviews here.

Peace.

My old monte... on to a new owner now (who's equally fanatic, thankfully)

Attachments

• Canon 154_resize.jpg
    Canon 154_resize.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 21
  • n116200333_31352960_4194.jpg
    n116200333_31352960_4194.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 9
I wasent sure if i would like ceramic over ss but now that i have them im happy. clean up is easy and pipe's do stay way cooler. UFO did a nice job on my slash cuts. Im glad i got the ceramic in silver. Nice clean look.

Getting close to pulling the trigger on a Marks exhaust.

I like the look of black, but how does the ceramic coating hold up?

Ask Dannymax. I don't think he ever had a problem.
I like black and stainless. So I had the down tubes ceramic coated black. polished the hell out of the cans. Haven't been sorry once. I just have to be different-Doh. I could have had Mark do it, but decided after I ordered it.
29.gif

I'm thinking the end caps powder coated would look cool. I can usually touch the cans after a long ride. Not sure how hot they get flying down the Mass Pike at 85 though? Sean, think they'll hold up?
Steve-o

sdt354 you did ok marks dont pollish the cans.

He told me no. And he said the cans that he did in the past dont look good enough to put his name on.

I just had my stainless UFO's ceramic coated, got tired of polishing them. They told me I'd probably get a couple of 3 years out of it....$200 is bucks cheaper than my polishing time....

Back