Charging system / Battery ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read through this:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19108
Your Voltages definitely seem a bit low.

PS
I have a UB122180 and I couldn't be happier, I've had it for about 6 years now and it still cranks my bike like a champ.

Dman999 thanks thanks for this info.... red wire off the battery to the rectifier.

I ran a ground wire off the rectifier screw to the side bolt below the fake gas tank. I another ground wire on the other the right side fake gas tank bolt.

Cut out the black wire end and use spade connectors and plug them in the 3 white wires. The red wire add in the 30 amp fuse.

Pictures below.:clapping:

Attachments

• P1020302.jpg
    P1020302.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 38
  • P1020303.jpg
    P1020303.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 38
  • P1020298.jpg
    P1020298.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 38
  • P1020297.jpg
    P1020297.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 40
Dman999 thanks thanks for this info.... red wire off the battery to the rectifier.

I ran a ground wire off the rectifier screw to the side bolt below the fake gas tank. I another ground wire on the other the right side fake gas tank bolt.

Cut out the black wire end and use spade connectors and plug them in the 3 white wires. The red wire add in the 30 amp fuse.
You're welcome.
Your Voltages look really good now.

New battery came a few ago days.

Volts tested out the box is 12.85, I put my 1.5 amp trickle charge on the battery and let it fully charge it took about 5 hours. I install the battery in the bike turn lights much brighter than before. I let the bike sit for about 2 hour and check the volts, is 13.34.

Attachments

• P1020399 (1).jpg
    P1020399 (1).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 25
  • P1020402.jpg
    P1020402.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 22
  • P1020406 (1).jpg
    P1020406 (1).jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 23
  • P1020410.jpg
    P1020410.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
New battery came a few days.

Volts tested out the box is 12.85, I put my 1.5 amp trickle charge on the battery and let it fully charge it took about 5 hours. I install the battery in the bike turn lights much brighter than before. I let the bike sit for about 2 hour and check the volts, is 13.34.
Nice !

Thanks thanks to every 1 here.

I supper thanks Dman999, also if any looking at a bigger battery they have 22ah witch is the same size as the UB12180 18ah.

I started the motor a few times. Start right up so far. :clapping:

Attachments

• 40696.jpg
    40696.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 15
Thanks thanks to every 1 here.

I supper thanks Dman999, also if any looking at a bigger battery they have 22ah witch is the same size as the UB12180 18ah.

I started the motor a few times. Start right up so far. :clapping:
You're Welcome.
I was actually thinking that if I ever need another battery I'd try that 22 Ah UB12220 since it has 420 CCA which is pretty Impressive and only costs a few dollars more ($48 or so).
http://www.apexbattery.com/ub1220-12v-22ah-battery.html

Thanks again to every 1 here. My neighbor he order the UB12220 for his bike to.

I'm going to change the the rectifier to the newer model with the fins on it to, looking for the best price on 1 any help from your guy's where to buy 1 at a good price. Man if I every sale this bike it will almost like be brand new all the parts I replace on it.

Last edited:
Hi guy's battery still going strong, I jump start my friends bike of my battery through the trickle charge plugs on both bikes. He lift his lights on.

A very good battery :eusa_dance:

It seems for most cases eliminating the "bottlenecks" in the factory wiring harness solves voltage issues. The Vmax is full of crappy wiring and vanishing voltage. My bike could have 14.4v at the battery, by the time it got to the blinker relay, it was around 8, which is why my blinkers never worked right.

It seems for most cases eliminating the "bottlenecks" in the factory wiring harness solves voltage issues. The Vmax is full of crappy wiring and vanishing voltage. My bike could have 14.4v at the battery, by the time it got to the blinker relay, it was around 8, which is why my blinkers never worked right.

I change the old rectifier to a up to date 1.

Yes your so right, thanks to all guys helping a old man out.

I guy's this new rectifier - this company the 1st install was under charging the battery. They sent me another 1 free of charge. The 2nd new rectifier was over charging at 18.9 volts. I sent it back they refunded my money back. The company was very good about replacing it or refunding my money.

I order a new yamaha vmax 2005 rectifier in May 2005

Attachments

• vmax 800 charging .JPG
    vmax 800 charging .JPG
    451.5 KB · Views: 35
  • vmax 800 charging 1.JPG
    vmax 800 charging 1.JPG
    442.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
So.. whatever happened about the dealer possibly switching the battery out without the owners knowledge? I found that strange...

So.. whatever happened about the dealer possibly switching the battery out without the owners knowledge? I found that strange...

Sorry I no this late in responding, They are not sure what happen but they did have 2 video cameras in the service depart. They could see my battery was colored and the white battery being put back. They check it and night when they was about to close. They could not see any more than that. The give me $60.00 gift coupon to get anything in the store part of the dealer. I still have to this day.

Latest posts

Back