CHEAP rear reflector LED replacement!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcoop99

Reaction score
I recently added the CBR tailight mod to my '89 and LOVE it! While at Wal-mart the other day, I noticed in their trailer lighting section, an LED light that I thougt might work so I picked it up. Here it is:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blazer-International-4-Sealed-LED-Running-Board-Light/19853236
For $8 I didn't think I could go wrong. It does only have one wire so I just decided to hook it up to run as another brake light. When I got it out of the packaging I could not believe that it lined up PERFECTLY with the stock "opening" for the reflector and the mounting holes were exactly the same distance apart! I added a ground wire to it and drilled two small holes in the plastic reflector bracket to pass the power and ground wire through. A little ingenuity to attach it to the bracket (I drilled the mounting holes a tad bigger and put two drywall anchors in there and screwed it tight) and I am sure you guys can figure that out. Tied it right into the Yellow (brake) wire and it works awesome! :punk: Save yourself the time and a ton of money!
Here are a few pics before I mounted it:

Attachments

• 2012-06-02_19-56-28_219-1.jpg
    2012-06-02_19-56-28_219-1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 2012-06-02_19-56-48_739-1.jpg
    2012-06-02_19-56-48_739-1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 52
Yes, we've done this before but it's simply not bright enough to really be an effective brake light. It's a nice supplemental light though.

I realize that. It is actually pretty bright though. I just wanted to rid the reflector and didn't want to spend a lot. The CBR set up is incredible.

If its bright enough you can use a parallel circuit with a resistor to lower the brightness of the LEDS and that way you can have running lights and also stop lights...

Back