Choices for trailering a bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: motorcycle hauler....

Like I said before... For short or emergency situations, I think it would be just the thing.
I'm going to get one just so I can keep it in my truck, for those just in case moments in life.
That way the little woman doesn't have to worry about trying to hook up my trailer to come get me. I can just tell her go get my truck and pick me up.

Are these things harmful on the trans or anything?

Interesting !!! Would like to get some more info if I could. Great alternative to draggin' a trailer... I like !

Are these things harmful on the trans or anything?

Seems there are a couple of different opinions on that. I'm not sure, to be honest with you. Me personally I'd rather be on the safe side. But I don't see it being too detrimental for a short haul when you break down or need to take your Max some where (aside from a tranny failure or motor lockup).
But On a long haul across the state or country, I'd be leery on weather it is a good thing to do. Until someone shows they have hauled their Max this way for a long time with no ill effects.

Interesting !!! Would like to get some more info if I could. Great alternative to draggin' a trailer... I like !

Here's their website. They are just around the corner from me.

http://www.undertakermts.com/

Seems there are a couple of different opinions on that. I'm not sure, to be honest with you. Me personally I'd rather be on the safe side. But I don't see it being too detrimental for a short haul when you break down or need to take your Max some where (aside from a tranny failure or motor lockup).
But On a long haul across the state or country, I'd be leery on weather it is a good thing to do. Until someone shows they have hauled their Max this way for a long time with no ill effects.

Here's their website. They are just around the corner from me.

http://www.undertakermts.com/

IMO I think there would be some issues with this. There is a reason for a good haul it's recomended you remove the driveshaft from a cage when you put it on a dolly.

Vmax uses a shaft, I think without the engine running there are a few things that aren't getting oil and are still moving while on that thing.

A friend of mine built a similar set-up to get his Gixxer to the drag strip, he still pulled his chain for the "better safe then sorry" factor.

But for an across town haul of a busted ride, I wouldn't see too much trouble.

Shipped in it's own little wooden coffin...cool :biglaugh:

If you download the PDF instruction set file. You can use Acrobat Reader to zoom in on the pictures to get a better look at it. Pretty simple concept, it's a nice little gizmo to save your ass in a jam, for sure.

IMO I think there would be some issues with this. There is a reason for a good haul it's recomended you remove the driveshaft from a cage when you put it on a dolly.

Vmax uses a shaft, I think without the engine running there are a few things that aren't getting oil and are still moving while on that thing.

A friend of mine built a similar set-up to get his Gixxer to the drag strip, he still pulled his chain for the "better safe then sorry" factor.

But for an across town haul of a busted ride, I wouldn't see too much trouble.

You only pull the shaft on a cage with an Auto Trans. An automobile has a valve body in the trans which when towing your building up pressure. This isnt going to effect a motorcycle with a manual trans that is already submerged in Oil.

You only pull the shaft on a cage with an Auto Trans. An automobile has a valve body in the trans which when towing your building up pressure. This isnt going to effect a motorcycle with a manual trans that is already submerged in Oil.

So far you haven't said anything that a teenager wouldn't know.

My statement is just an opinion, nothing more. nothing less.

As far as the way the Vmax lubricates while the engine isn't running would be interesting. I've talked to a few mechanics from local dealers and specialty shops and the verdict is still out, some say maybe and some say no. What they all agree on is the length of the tow, short.

Another thing I would like to find is the beating your bike will take. With a bike strrapped to a trailer the weight is more spread out and IMO a more stable platform Vs. the single wheel bouncing around supporting the weight. Not to mention the fulcrom point change at the stearing head.

I remember seeing this type of setup back in the late 70's hauling MX bikes. I've looked at a few and they say don't back up with them and there are several shaft bikes that shouldn't be towed with them, but they never say what bikes. The also don't use them with a long vehicle, as the bike will more then likely tip over in tight manuvering.

I'me waiting for someone with actual usage to report in. till then its all opinion to consider.

I was pointing out the difference that you were trying to compare. Your statement / opinion cant be legit since an automobile transmission and a motorcycle transmission are different. Valve Body/ Hydraulic Fluid / Torque Converter. How does this have any relation to Ball Bearings, Oil, gears. Hmm with the bike at that angle wouldnt all the gears be submerged in the oil?

I was pointing out the difference that you were trying to compare. Your statement / opinion cant be legit since an automobile transmission and a motorcycle transmission are different. Valve Body/ Hydraulic Fluid / Torque Converter. How does this have any relation to Ball Bearings, Oil, gears. Hmm with the bike at that angle wouldn't all the gears be submerged in the oil?

wow... didn't mean for this to become so big of a debate....lol
seen something i thought was cool..... probably the best way is to find someone who has hauled a shaft drive on one.....I personally don't think it will hurt it...especially for short hauls but on the other hand....I don't wanna hurt my baby!

i just dont get the straps to the bumper when taking a turn one side will get real loose and the other will try to rip the bars off...or is it just me

In the owners manual at:
http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/owners_manual.pdf
on page 5-5 at the top of the middle column it says:

"Do not coast for long periods with the engine off, and do not tow the motorcycle a long distance. Even with the gears in neutral, the transmission is only properly lubricated when the engine is running. Inadequate lubrication mat damage the transmission."

Red98vmax

In the owners manual at:

"Do not coast for long periods with the engine off, and do not tow the motorcycle a long distance. Even with the gears in neutral, the transmission is only properly lubricated when the engine is running. Inadequate lubrication mat damage the transmission."

Red98vmax

Awesome! I am so glad you found this info! :clapping:

In the owners manual at:

Red98vmax

Thanks red98vmax, thats the answer I was looking for. :banana:LOL and to think my manual was an arms length away. :bang head:. Could have saved me some time. so I guess Vmax having gears submerged in oil don't mean nothin' when it's not running. Good to know.

What sux is the makers of this type of carrier only say "some shaft driven motorcycles" and not provide a list.

I wonder how many people have bought them only to find out the hard way that thier bike shouldn't have been towed that way.

:cheers:

wow... didn't mean for this to become so big of a debate....lol
seen something i thought was cool..... probably the best way is to find someone who has hauled a shaft drive on one.....I personally don't think it will hurt it...especially for short hauls but on the other hand....I don't wanna hurt my baby!

But you see Dreamster, that is what the forum is all about. Someone throws an idea out or a question, every one throws in their thoughts and opinions, we shake it all up and see what sifts out.
Pretty amazing stuff if you ask me.

So the consensus is... If you have nothing better a short trip MAY be OK. And the manual doesn't recommend this type of towing contraption. But yet, at this point no one has tried one.

Soooo...
The question now is, Who wants to be the first to try one on their Max? :confused2:

:hmmm:

I'll be the first to say... Not Me! :whistlin:

But you see Dreamster, that is what the forum is all about. Someone throws an idea out or a question, every one throws in their thoughts and opinions, we shake it all up and see what sifts out.
Pretty amazing stuff if you ask me.

So the consensus is... If you have nothing better a short trip MAY be OK. And the manual doesn't recommend this type of towing contraption. But yet, at this point no one has tried one.

Soooo...
The question now is, Who wants to be the first to try one on their Max? :confused2:

:hmmm:

I'll be the first to say... Not Me! :whistlin:

Yup, yup,

the Vmax's gears don't lube right bathing in oil, but fine while the engine is running. No list of shaft driven bikes that can be towed (or how far), No actual usage report just friend of a friend had one. The diversity of forums kick much ass:punk:. on other forums it seems like the mass majority of people using these are the riders with chains.

Hmmm, your right cowboy, but whooo:hmmm:

Maybe if we send one to JohnR, he'll think he ordered one and start using it? He seems to be buying up everything, he can't possibly keep track of everything! LOL!

j/k

Back