Clutch Knock

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoe00

Reaction score
I've just developed a noise - more of a knock than a rattle (meaning that it is not random - but more rhythmic). It gets more pronounced when I apply some clutch friction and then disappears once the clutch is fully engaged (definitely coming from clutch housing). Is this a classic symptom? Should I run out and by a set of friciton plates before I even inspect? Any other guesses before I get into it? I've never done anything like this before, so its going to be an adventure... (any advice is appreciated)

Not sure about the knocking noise, i haven't ventured into clutch's yet either, but a haynes or clymer manual probably wouldnt' be a bad idea for the job either if there isn't a step by step on the forum.

my haynes is very helpful and i know guys here like the clymer....

The noise is from your clutch basket. Mine did that and I never had a problem. If you want you can replace the basket.

Well, now it has progressed to alternating between a knock and a rattle (just as described on another thread - like marbles banging around in a can). So, it seems to fit the clutch basket problem others have described.

A friend helped me inspect the clutch last night. All the plates look great. The basket is a little loose (is that the issue? What about the basket is going bad?)

Question is: Do I just accept that this is how some old VMAXs sound? BH: Does your still do this? For how long now?

The noise is from your clutch basket. Mine did that and I never had a problem. If you want you can replace the basket.

Well, now it has progressed to alternating between a knock and a rattle (just as described on another thread - like marbles banging around in a can). So, it seems to fit the clutch basket problem others have described.

A friend helped me inspect the clutch last night. All the plates look great. The basket is a little loose (is that the issue? What about the basket is going bad?)

Question is: Do I just accept that this is how some old VMAXs sound? BH: Does your still do this? For how long now?

The marble sound is probably your starter clutch bolts backing out. This is a separate problem from the clutch basket noise. Mine doesn't do it anymore as I swapped out motors.

This noise, whatever it is, is definitely coming from inside the clutch housing. Would rattling caused by the starter clutch bolts backing out come from the main clutch housing?

I still want to rule out the basket. I noticed that once all the plates are out, there is a large nut that seems to be holding the basket in place. In front of that nut is a kind of bearing (schematic agrees). Can I just pull that off? (what's the best tool - it wasn't coming off with force of my hand - I don't want to damage it)? And then is it just a matter of spinning off the nut? Or is this going to be much more involved (access from the other side)?

Any help is much appreciated.

This usually occurrs on higher miliage vmax/ventuure engines. I had a Venture with over 60,000 that rattled/rumbled and knocked. It can be a combination of worn friction plates, clutch body or clutch boss. I picked up a lower miliage vmax clutch and switched it out. This cured 90% of the noise.

Remember clutch work can be done with out draining the oil as long as the bike is on the side stand. The clutch boss nut can be removed by holding the rear brake with bike in 5th gear.

Thanks for the reply. After reading a lot and talking with friends, my current theory is that it is a loose rivet or two between the "driven gear" and the basket. It seems that to replace the basket, it will involve drilling out the rivets and screwing or welding the new basket to the gear -- waiting for a Clymer manual to arrive for clarification.

Or maybe I should go the route you did and get the complete assembly from a bike with similar (better) miles, but hopefully better condition (might be hard to find).

In any case, looking for advice here: should I try this myself or just take it to a shop?

Always do it yourself unless you're absolutely sure you can't do it, maybe because you need a bunch of special tool to do the job.

You can never trust the Stealers? to have a decent mechanic who knows about older bikes, but you can always trust them to grossly overcharge you!!

The basket is not available to buy without the gear (it comes already installed). It can't be welded either since the basket is aluminum and the gear is steel.

Remove the outer plate (which you did), pull the "hat" part out of the center (it's about an inch long or so), don't lose the bearing behind it, spread open the locking tab, use an impact to "knock" the nut loose, then pull the inner basket out (complete with all the fibers and steels if you want). There will be an inner splined washer behind that you need to remove then pull the outer basket out. When you re-install this basket you have to made sure it's all the way in which can be tricky. It has to mate with the oil pump drive gear. Before you pull the basket out you can get a relationship to where it sits to the case so you can make sure it's in when you go back together.

I have a few baskets and parts on hand if needed. I can't swear what the mileage of them is though. You can get an idea of how much wear they have by looking at the slots that the clutches engage to. A lot of wear will usually make the clutch not operate smoothly.

Sean

Latest posts

Back