Clutch Noise?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zexus

Reaction score
I seem to have a very subtle noise coming from my clutch (or at least it sounds like it is coming from the casing). Never noticed it before so I don't know if it is normal or something is wrong. It sounds like a very faint rattle. It disappears when I pull the clutch lever and also seems to fade when the bike warms up. Are the plates loose, warn, etc. Thoughts.

Neutral, running, clutch out.. This is normal noise. No Problemo...

How certain are you? I don't mean to question your expertise but it just seems not right to me. I can actually feel it in the foot pegs now. Sounds like it is growling and goes away immediately once I pull the clutch lever in. I'm so paranoid that my clutch or transmission is going.

I'm even thinking that maybe I have done something myself to the bike. I replaced the rear tire a few days ago. Could I have misaligned the gears when reinstalling the rim which effected the starter clutch and so on? Man I am so fixated on this freak'n noise!

I can do it on both my bikes. It can be felt and,,, I asked the same question you did.... Video would be good so we can see if it is something out of the ordinary......

Without hearing it I would think it is the normal clutch rattle that most bikes seem to have. Putting on a tire would have no effect on the clutch. Too bad you are on the west end of the province or I would come by and take a gander at it for you.

put a video up, we can listen then.

Okay, I'll try to do that this weekend.

I can do it on both my bikes. It can be felt and,,, I asked the same question you did.... Video would be good so we can see if it is something out of the ordinary......

Thanks, I'll try to get a video up to get your thoughts on what I hope is just my vmax paranoia.

Without hearing it I would think it is the normal clutch rattle that most bikes seem to have. Putting on a tire would have no effect on the clutch. Too bad you are on the west end of the province or I would come by and take a gander at it for you.

Thanks for your opinion. Didn't think the tire change would have messed with anything but it is the only thing I could think of that I did lately.

did you ever establish weather it was "normal" clutch sound? my 96 has exactly what you are talking about. sounds to me like a throw out bearing going bad in a vehicle. exactly like that actually. no noise with clutch lever pulled in. let it out and hear/feel the vibration.

ive had 2 max"s....a brand new 07 and an 86...they both have the clutch rattle....however....sometimes if the carbs are outta sync it can be a lil louder.

ive had 2 max"s....a brand new 07 and an 86...they both have the clutch rattle....however....sometimes if the carbs are outta sync it can be a lil louder.

I'm breathing old life back into this thread, as I only just read mr.maxx's last post. Over the past year I have just accepted the subtle noise and vibration from the clutch as normal and moved on to other concerns. But now that mr.maxx suggests that poorly sync'd carbs can make things a little louder, I had a 'holycrap' moment. The day I first noticed the issue was the day I picked up the bike from the garage after having the carbs sync'd. I remember starting it up and thinking what the hell is that, and then going back into see the mechanic and asking what that sound and vibration was. He said it was nothing and of course I believed him and came here to post. The bike never really ran the same after that sync and so I'm lead to believe that the sync was not done poorly. I pulled my carbs and am in the process of cleaning and refreshing them, so I will invest a few bucks on a sync tool and do the sync myself after I re-install the carbs. Very curious to see what will happen when that is done.

I thought the same as mine also has the rumble as if a bearing bearing was getting a bit tired but am now convinced its just the norm after hearing all these comments. :)

did you ever establish weather it was "normal" clutch sound? my 96 has exactly what you are talking about. sounds to me like a throw out bearing going bad in a vehicle. exactly like that actually. no noise with clutch lever pulled in. let it out and hear/feel the vibration.

In my limited experience throw out bearing noise only appears when the clutch is engaged. The chattering in neutral is something else, and as others have said it is normal.

+1 on having this on my 06. It's been there since I've owned it from 2100 miles. I think this was the previous owners first bike so he was probably hard as hell on that clutch in the small amount of mileage, but I don't think he was so hard as to break it.

Other than a randomly hard to find neutral that bleeding and fresh fluid made better but didn't completely cure the clutch operation is normal.

Back