CNN lately.. Canadian perspective

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should stay out of this.....yes gov't can screw things up. BUT....look at private car/M/C insurance in Ontario = gotta be close to the most expensive in the world!(don't really know that but you get the picture) AND they want more!!

Want another example of private industry gone wild = LAWYERS! (rich can afford them, poor get them for free, working man goes bankrupt) DENTISTS! VETS!(they're more expensive than med doctors)

Bottom line = who knows :confused2:

I'm just glad I don't get a humungous bill after I see my doctor.

Dale #2592

I read the article. The baby has microvillus inclusion disease which affects 1 baby for every 5,000,000. OHIP covers the standard treatment for the disease but the baby developed a liver reaction to it. The drug OHIP refuses to pay for is classified "experiemental" which most health plans also will not cover. This situation sucks and is indicative that there is no perfect world.

If you really dig deep enough you're going to find extremes which will make any country's healthcare system look bad.

Blaine

My point is that if we are going to call this universal health care, socialized medicine, or whatever moniker you want, then they should NEVER refuse treatment for anyone, regardless of cost. I understand that common ailements etc. are covered, but they are not what usually costs the big money. It is the fringe illnesses that seem to bankrupt folks and these are the very illnesses that people need extra coverage for. Trust me I am not knocking OHIP, but dont make it out to be the end all, be all that some people seem to believe it to be.

My point is that if we are going to call this universal health care, socialized medicine, or whatever moniker you want, then they should NEVER refuse treatment for anyone, regardless of cost. I understand that common ailements etc. are covered, but they are not what usually costs the big money. It is the fringe illnesses that seem to bankrupt folks and these are the very illnesses that people need extra coverage for. Trust me I am not knocking OHIP, but dont make it out to be the end all, be all that some people seem to believe it to be.

I was referring to our Healthcare system when I said "no perfect world". The baby in question is not being refused medicine for his condition; he is being refused "experimental" medicine. The family has to shell out 1000/month for the experimental drug. Many privately-run healthcare plans and HMO's will not cover "experimental" drugs or procedures either. If this family lived in the US, how much more would the parents pay for the daily visits to the doctor and the use of the pump that keeps the baby hydrated?

Blaine

My civilian job pays what you are getting in the military.....and my health care benefits are almost $300.00 a month out of my check.....

My life is WAY different than a year ago when I worked for GM.....

But I am thankful for what I got,....That's for sure....

Military life is regimented for sure......I do not envy you one bit...

Until you start making $150k.......:biglaugh:

My dad still works for GM. In November, his plant will be closing for an unknown amount of time. He's not being fired or laid off, just put on hold and not being paid. It's gonna be tough, but they'll make it through.

I doubt I'll be making that much money. I like the military too much. There is more to a job than money. For me it's about job and life satisfaction. :) Unless I have the military put me through medical school. I'd be commissioned as a 1LT and come out as a Major. But that's eight years of school and working like a dog. And I'm waiting on this bill to see if I want to pursue it. If it passes, salaries will eventually drop.

Just like everything in life, time will tell and history will judge. :confused2:

My dad still works for GM. In November, his plant will be closing for an unknown amount of time. He's not being fired or laid off, just put on hold and not being paid. It's gonna be tough, but they'll make it through.

I doubt I'll be making that much money. I like the military too much. There is more to a job than money. For me it's about job and life satisfaction. :) Unless I have the military put me through medical school. I'd be commissioned as a 1LT and come out as a Major. But that's eight years of school and working like a dog. And I'm waiting on this bill to see if I want to pursue it. If it passes, salaries will eventually drop.

Just like everything in life, time will tell and history will judge. :confused2:

As long as your last name isn't Burns......being a Major and a doctor could be OK......:biglaugh::rofl_200:

Hope you are old enough......or have seen enough reruns to get the joke.....
:confused2: :damn angry:

As long as your last name isn't Burns......being a Major and a doctor could be OK......:biglaugh::rofl_200:

Hope you are old enough......or have seen enough reruns to get the joke.....
:confused2: :damn angry:

No, the last name isn't Burns. And I am a medic after all. I get the M.A.S.H. jokes. :clapping:

Back