Concealed Carry Weapons, Firearm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My current carry weapon is a Glock 30 SF with a very heavy trigger. If I have ever have to go to court, I want that point to be very clear. It didn't unintentionally go bang. I even have a couple 30 round mags for when the shit hits the fan...

My other is a Para Ordinance, LDA, Carry 6.

I was looking at those Hatter, I load for .45 lc so it would work and I like the .410 option....probably kills at both ends but, what the hell!

Dan-O, if you're looking for a full-sized .45 ACP, here's one worth a look. 13+1 capacity:

Glock-21.jpg

If you truly want a short-barreled version, you can look at the Glock 30, standard with a 10-round mag, but you can just stick in the 13-round mag that the Glock 21 uses. I generally carry the Glock 29 (the G30's brother in 10mm, along with a 15-round mag for backup).

Thanks Tom, I don't know much about Glocks but everybody likes them, I'll look into 'em.

Cool. If you get serious about one, here's a little tip I discovered after a bit of research. One of the best places to get one is from Ed's Public Safety in Georgia.

Same day shipping (to your local FFL holder). No tax. And, terrific pricing. They have a deal in which you can order one Glock a year at a very cheap price (if you pay $35 for GSSF membership). In the end, the total price is less (by far) than you can get the gun locally for, and the membership is tossed in, too. Plus, you can configure the gun any way you like (sights, etc.). Plus, you get the LEO version of the gun with 3-magazines. Great deal, and terrific people to deal with. I ordered one from them over the summer. Then my wife ordered one. :biglaugh:

Thanks guys for the info on the Corbon Pow'R Ball Ammo. I'll prob drop the hammer on a hand full of them to get the feel. The rest I'll keep in a mag, in case that unfortunate occasion arises. Just a bit pricey for me to plink with.

unless you are hunting snakes, 410 in a handgun is useless. I'm looking to get rid of my 38 and 357, Looking hard at a Ruger SR9C and a few others. I don't have a problem with a 9, its more than proven itself.

Just checked out Ed's cool site, I should join GSSF since I use my 17 in USPSA now. Prices are not any thing special, hunt around on gun broker, better deals are out there.

all this talk of new side arms made me itchy so i bought this today:
Taurus PT709, very small.

Attachments

• Taurus 709.jpg
    Taurus 709.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 8
EvilD: Congrats, Nice compact to the point carry weapon... Now, If they'll just do one in 45 acp for me....:biglaugh:

EvilD: Congrats, Nice compact to the point carry weapon... Now, If they'll just do one in 45 acp for me....:biglaugh:

Hatter beat me to it, I was going to get that, but i saw this one and it was marked wrong ( I'm pretty up on prices for the most part) and the guy didn't notice, I got it probably for about what they paid.

I love my 745MP. It shoots great! I shot the best five shot pattern I ever shot with a handgun right out of the box!. The only problem I had was trying to find a holster for it, but discovered the nylon Sidekick holster for my Rugar SP101 works pretty good with it.

I will say this, though: While the 745 "compact" is nice, the 145MP is only .125in longer, .125in wider, and .125in SHORTER height, than the 745. and it holds 10+1 instead of 6+1.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=40&category=Pistol&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

Last edited:
I normally carry my Glock in a quick to get to, right side belt bag. the front loop for the belt broke the other day. I found that the Glock 30 works in a pocket holster. I wear Black Tactical Pants normally and with the black grip and back strap of the pistol, it works perfect. I can get to it and be ready in a flash..

EvilD: Such a deal. Makes you feel really good when something like that happens...:biglaugh: We got a free 5 gallon bucket at Lowe's today. I put them on the counter and told the guy there were 2. He rang it up for 1. My policy is that if you don't listen to what I have to say,,, "Your Bad".......

I fondled a G30, gave me wood, but was almost 2x as much as the ruger, eventually i will get a 30 or a 36.

Any opinions? :ummm:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subject: 44 MAGNUM ACCIDENT-this is a S&W 44- a fine piece. Chinese screw us again[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] with crap ammunition ![/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].44 Magnum accident

First it was baby formula, then pet food, but now you should watch out when buying anything from China, including bright, shiny ammunition.

A guy came into the police department the other day to ask a favor.

He had a S&W 629 (.44 Mag) that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range. He said there was a loud bang

when he tested his new ammo, (Chinese made), and the gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash.

When the tweety birds cleared from around his head, the pictures show what he saw.
Bet he never uses Chinese made ammo again!
Looks like when the round in the chamber went off, it also set off at least two other rounds in adjacent cylinders.
I would have hated to been the one that pulled the trigger on that one!
[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Attachments

• Blown up .44.jpg
    Blown up .44.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 17
There were some problems with early production, we're talking 2002 or older. I'm not sure exactly when the problem pistols were made. I have a current production 30 SF and it runs great... Just don't buy an older model...

Any opinions? :ummm:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subject: 44 MAGNUM ACCIDENT-this is a S&W 44- a fine piece. Chinese screw us again[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] with crap ammunition ![/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].44 Magnum accident

First it was baby formula, then pet food, but now you should watch out when buying anything from China, including bright, shiny ammunition.

A guy came into the police department the other day to ask a favor.

He had a S&W 629 (.44 Mag) that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range. He said there was a loud bang

when he tested his new ammo, (Chinese made), and the gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash.

When the tweety birds cleared from around his head, the pictures show what he saw.
Bet he never uses Chinese made ammo again!
Looks like when the round in the chamber went off, it also set off at least two other rounds in adjacent cylinders.
I would have hated to been the one that pulled the trigger on that one!
[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

That is a pretty classic case of an overpressure condition (possibly a double charge of powder). The round in the firing position blew the top of the cylinder off. The rounds on the right side of the cylinder (no bullet) had already been fired, and the round in the left side was just sitting there when it had the top of the brass ripped off (bullet still in the brass)

I am not going to get into a brand debate but it is a pretty well known fact that the S&W pistols will not take as much pressure as say a Ruger. They are certainly safe up to SAAMI rated pressures but when you really start to hot rod, most of the hand loaders will go for a Ruger.

Here is another image of a blown up S&W. Nearly an identical image for the same reason, overpressure

29338d1287962092-s-w-625-jm-catastrophic-failure-accident-_mmh2502.jpg

That is a pretty classic case of an overpressure condition (possibly a double charge of powder). The round in the firing position blew the top of the cylinder off. The rounds on the right side of the cylinder (no bullet) had already been fired, and the round in the left side was just sitting there when it had the top of the brass ripped off (bullet still in the brass)

I am not going to get into a brand debate but it is a pretty well known fact that the S&W pistols will not take as much pressure as say a Ruger. They are certainly safe up to SAAMI rated pressures but when you really start to hot rod, most of the hand loaders will go for a Ruger.

Here is another image of a blown up S&W. Nearly an identical image for the same reason, overpressure

29338d1287962092-s-w-625-jm-catastrophic-failure-accident-_mmh2502.jpg

That was my take on this too....a double charge more than likely, doubt very much that it had anything to do with Chinese cartridges.

Also, the cut in the forehead is bullshit too, this type of detonation produces little to no felt recoil!! There will be a big friggin' explosion at the end of your arm, no doubt about that, but no recoil. :punk:

The gash in his head could be plausible if he got hit by the flying part of the top strap or the broken piece of cylinder. Possibly even the recently liberated rear sight.

Chinese loads... I highly doubt it. It is not even legal to import Chinese ammo into the US. Even before the importation was stopped I had never seen anything from China in 44Mag, mostly eastern bloc and NATO rounds.

The other thing is the bullet appears to be a Hornady XTP. Even if you could get 44 Mag ammo from China....which you can't. I doubt the low cost Chinese manufacturing plant would be using a premium bullet such as this.

I give better odds that he screwed the pooch at the loading bench and double charged a round with a fast burning powder.

Latest posts

Back