coolant additive

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a Problem. We should all voice our opinions. Many guys are dissatisfied with this and with that. What gets me is with all this fault finding, many will stear away from the Max. This bike was manufactured over 20 years ago, the main purpose was to be the quickest from here to there and it did that for a long time and is still pretty good at it. Those that want to challenge the twisties need a sport bike. A bigger radiator will only add more weight to the bike. For racing, it's already way overweight. Cooling is an issue because of what??????? Lets see a show of hands from all those that had their Max boil over. Also while we're at it, how many had their motor freeze up because of low oil pressure. These are the real facts and determine if the factory screwed up. Anything can be improved and should be if the owner is dissatisfied with the product. Some want better cooling and others want more power. That's like saying I want 500 HP and great economy. The factory makes many decisions based on style, performance, profit, safety and so on.

holy smoke, did i stir up a hornets nest. first of all, and for the last time, i NEVER said the bike was boiling over or overheating. i said it was running hot meaning the high side of the gauge and throws off alot of heat. of all the read ive done into this a few (alot) of people have either gone to the borg warner sensor or put a manual switch, and even added ww or something along that line. i was just seeing what people were doing on this forum as well. as far as back yard mechanics( which i happened to be one of those) we do pretty good w/ the correct info. given to us. sorry i brought this subject up.

Hay Stud, ( just feel wrong to say that)
Anyway, dont feel like you shouldn't have posted your question just because it started to boil the waters. There are many knowledgeable folks on this site when it comes to the V-Max, bikes in general, and other related subjects. BUT PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THIS IS THE INTERNET AND ALL PERSONALITIES ARE REPRESENTED .

I personally use a manual switch( not often), Yamaha brand antifreeze with waterwetter added, changed every 2 years along with hydrolic fluids.No overheating problems.

Lew

I don't feel anything like this is a hornets nest. I have been around long enough to know Mike doesn't either. The question that was - was a good one. How we answer many vary, I do think we all get it for what it is.
I could give a two word answer but that's not me. Sorry, I know I ramble on too much at times.
Everyone's bike is different, if you want to change something then do it. Nobody ever said that anybody has to do anything. It's a matter of opinion. Don't feel bad or shitty for ever asking a question. The same goes for answering one. :punk:

My bike runs the same as many - hot. I could run it like that - I'm sure many do but the fact is I just choose not to. :drool:

Well to answer the original question, I know riders that live in hot humid areas (Arizona) and they run water wetter with good results. I can't remember if you can run it with an antifreeze/water combo or if you have to drain and use it with water only. In any case it works for them. I've never used it because the weather sucks here! LOL.

We all usually post what works for us and no one is saying that I'm right and the others are wrong. How can anybody make an informed decision without seeing different sides of any problem. My view, like others, comes from my own experiences and learnings in life. Instead of hearing one side only and then following like sheep, people should make their own decisions from the information presented.

No arguments and no hornet's nests. All of life is a learning process and the more information we get to make the right decision, the better off we are. Unlike some other lists, I like to think of all members here as being equal and not dictated to by a few that think only they know the facts. This would be a sad place if one guy would always give advice and the rest would just "amen" everything he says.

That is what makes this forum the best Mike. :cheers:

I think we covered this pretty good. Lets move on.

You were asking about the loss of oil pressure, I have read about this a few times. The dreaded O-ring problem.... or is it ? But this should be another thread and let this one die. :hmmm:

If you want to start one go ahead - I'll join in.

My vmax was running up to 2/3 on the temp guage while in traffic. I flushed the system...used about 60% water 40% coolant and Water wetter...and the temps don't get above 1/2 now.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=RED-80204

That is good enough for me. I did pick some up ( water wetter ) at the local auto parts place for around 12 bucks last week. I hope I have the same sucess with it. This will be the first time trying it. I need to ask ya, when you flushed did you get allot of scale shit coming out. Kinda like alge ? That alone has to make a big difference

I may also pick up a lower thermal switch later on - we'll see how this goes first.

I've used the Redline - 2 Stoke oil in my dirtbike, great stuff. When I ripped it down at the end of the season, the internal parts looked in great shape, compared to prior years. I do therefore believe they make a good product. :drool:

Rob.

My vmax was running up to 2/3 on the temp guage while in traffic. I flushed the system...used about 60% water 40% coolant and Water wetter...and the temps don't get above 1/2 now.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=RED-80204

Did you just use one (12oz) bottle of the Redline??? I will be flushing/filling my cooling system this weekend, and I'm going to add water wetter to my water/antifreeze mix, but wasn't sure how much to use...

My bike doesn't over heat, but the gauge does creep up in stop and go traffic, plus its an 01 and the guy I bought it from said he has never flushed the cooling system...

they make a 12oz bottle of water wet and is premixed ....all you do is put in all 12 oz and ur good ta go ..the definitly works !!!:rocket bike:

Latest posts

Back