couple of shinko tire questions. is everybody still happy with them?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stangs69-91

Reaction score
why do people go to 120's in the front? is there some sort of handeling advantage?

I am going to try the Shinkos is everybody still happy with them?

why do people go to 120's in the front?
because it looks fatter. Makes big guys look better on their skinny bikes LOL

is there some sort of handeling advantage?
none whatsoever. In fact, the fatter the front, the slower the bike'll turn in, not that this matters much on a Vmax..

I am going to try the Shinkos is everybody still happy with them?

I'm still happy with mine, although I didn't think they were that sticky in the wet. Definitely soft rubber though, the rear's squaring off nicely with just 5000 miles on it.
At that price, no complains!

If it makes me look smaller I might just save on the gym membership and get a fatter front tire lol. It is a win win.

The stock rim is not wide enough for the 120. Manufacturer does not recommend this.

Also,

You actually will lose contact patch when you install a tire that is too wide for the rim. Fact!

IMHO shinkos are only good for the drag strip. they square off too much whick affects your turn in. the reason that makes them good for the strip because there is a large flat area.

cmon lankee chime in you disputed my statement once before.LOL

No, manufacturers do not recommend it and distributers won't honor warranties for tires that are not OEM spec.

I put a 170 rear on that has a defect in the sidewall. You can clearly see it with the bike running on the centerstand. It appears like the sidewall is not completely seated in one area, this causes a high speed vibration that 'fuzz's' up the mirrors at 105 mph.

I broke the tire down and aired it back up several times, even dismounted & took it to a dealer to mount with the same result. I called Tires Unlimited to see about a replacement due to a defective tire, the guy said no problem, but when he took down my info he said the size is not OEM and they wouldn't replace it.

I will be buying a new set of ME880's within a week or so. Anyone looking for a 110 Shinko front with less than 100 miles on it...PM me.

I have ran over 8 Shinko 170-80-15 on my VMAX over the past 2-3 years with no issues. I have always had the dealer install my tires and use very little weight to high speed balance them. Due to of possible damage to the sidewall during installing with hand tools / pry bars etc. These are bias ply tires and have a week sidewall in them and sensitive to abuse during install. (not saying you are not able to install tires properly Dan)
I just removed my ME880 Front tire after a few years of abuse and replaced it with a 100/90 Shinko. When I picked the tire up from the dealer I asked them how it balanced out, they said it required less weight to balance from the previous tire.
All in all I love my shinkos and have always given me the best traction on the street and dragstrip.

I have ran over 8 Shinko 170-80-15 on my VMAX over the past 2-3 years with no issues. I have always had the dealer install my tires and use very little weight to high speed balance them. Due to of possible damage to the sidewall during installing with hand tools / pry bars etc. These are bias ply tires and have a week sidewall in them and sensitive to abuse during install. (not saying you are not able to install tires properly Dan)
I just removed my ME880 Front tire after a few years of abuse and replaced it with a 100/90 Shinko. When I picked the tire up from the dealer I asked them how it balanced out, they said it required less weight to balance from the previous tire.
All in all I love my shinkos and have always given me the best traction on the street and dragstrip.

I wouldn't want to rule this out Lankee...it IS possible that I caused the damage by improper installation.

With that said, I still have to get another back tire. I was leaning towards getting all Irish and dumping the Shinko's completely and going to Metzlers, but maybe I should give Shinko another try (as Gamorg suggested), and have the bike shop mount it this time.

What do you guys think...would you go for another Shinko or switch to ME's?

I wouldn't want to rule this out Lankee...it IS possible that I caused the damage by improper installation.

With that said, I still have to get another back tire. I was leaning towards getting all Irish and dumping the Shinko's completely and going to Metzlers, but maybe I should give Shinko another try (as Gamorg suggested), and have the bike shop mount it this time.

What do you guys think...would you go for another Shinko or switch to ME's?

Danny in all honesty this is the first I heard of a Shinko coming out of the factory fucked up. It was wrong for them to not send you a new one,, but in all honesty...... I most likely wouldnt either knowing it wasnt installed at a shop with up to date tire changing equipment,, and if the shop fucked the tire up then they would have to pay you the value of the tire.
Everyone here who has finially decided to try the Shinkos love them.
You are just the .003% that got a bum one, 105? WTF are doing going 105 anyways you wild man! LOL

Danny in all honesty this is the first I heard of a Shinko coming out of the factory fucked up. It was wrong for them to not send you a new one,, but in all honesty...... I most likely wouldnt either knowing it wasnt installed at a shop with up to date tire changing equipment,, and if the shop fucked the tire up then they would have to pay you the value of the tire.
Everyone here who has finially decided to try the Shinkos love them.
You are just the .003% that got a bum one, 105? WTF are doing going 105 anyways you wild man! LOL

I know, I know, it's wimpy but vibrates like hell if I go any faster!! :biglaugh:

Now the '06...that's a different story, once I get past the 80 mph wobble, due to a bent front wheel, there's no end, it just keeps right on climbing!!! :eusa_dance:

like i was sayin danny, i'd give 'em another try... esp for the price....

all comments aside on whats better, what gets better mileage, shinko or metz?

From what I've heard the Metz is harder = more miles.

I'll be able to give ya a good mileage on the Shinko soon - mostly highway and going in a straight line LOL I hate the roads in florida..

Lankee, did you really say you fitted a 100/90 on your front? Just wondered as stock size is 110/90..

From what I've heard the Metz is harder = more miles.

Lankee, did you really say you fitted a 100/90 on your front? Just wondered as stock size is 110/90..

Yes I went smaller in the front to a 100/90 just for shits and giggles. Now I have to figure out a way to lower the front fender about an inch or so.
Its so much lighter now with the smaller tire on the front I cant hold the front end down always wants to stand straight up went out over the weekend and did some freestyling with all the gixxer guys ya know standing on the passenger pegs going 120 while in a 10oclock wheelie.. believe that and I will tell how fast it runs in the 1/4

i like the look of the 120. didn't someone also say at somepoint that it actually corrects the speedo error a bit (inadvertently)?

like i was sayin danny, i'd give 'em another try... esp for the price....

Metz will outlast the Shinko...all other things being equal. Metz also costs twice as much as Shinko.

I just ordered another Shinko BTW!

A 10# bag of Dyna balance beads and I should be in bidness!! :biglaugh:

Metz will outlast the Shinko...all other things being equal. Metz also costs twice as much as Shinko.

I just ordered another Shinko BTW!

A 10# bag of Dyna balance beads and I should be in bidness!! :biglaugh:

ahhh.. bike bandit?

you gonna mount 'em yourself or try the stealer?

Yes, still love them. I'm running a 120 in front and the 170 in the back. The Shinko squares off for me NO worse than the Dunlop or the Bridgestone I had before going to Shinko.

It's been said (I'm not at all disputing the physics) that we lose contact patch. Someone smarter than I am needs to run the numbers and quantify the amount of loss for us. What I can say is I've learned to ride more aggressively on the Shinkos than I did with the 150 Dunlops/Bridgestones.
-

Last edited:
thanks for all the feedback guy's. I think I will stick with the stock size in the front and a 170 in the rear. i have no worries of squaring off a tire I do not drag race my bike..legaly lol and am always in the twisties. :biglaugh:

Back