Crimp fix

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollin thunder

Reaction score
Figured I would try the crimp fix but I cant get the stupid soldering iron to heat the area up enough for the solder to stick.What is the secret to this ?.I have never really been good at this soldering stuff.:ummm:

Make sure iron tip is clean and tinned. PUt a piece of wood or somethign like that under the crimp for support. Heat one end of crimp with tinned part of iron and apply solder to other side. I found that a good solder guns works better than an iron. Make sure you use smallest diameter rosin core solder you can find.

Good Luck.... Soldering can be a pain in the Butt when doing heavy wires or cables...

Brush some flux on the crimp and wires and make a heat shield of aluminum foil to protect the other wires.

I don't have an iron or gun and used a propane campfire starter, similar to a pencil torch.....worked very well.

Like Mark said....heat one end and apply solder at the other, when it reaches the right temp it will suck the solder in.

Good Luck.... Soldering can be a pain in the Butt when doing heavy wires or cables...

You can say that again!.Will putting a little solder on this joint really help it conduct electricity that much better?.Do I have to solder the other connections runnung from the r/r also?.

will putting a little solder on this joint really help it conduct electricity that much better?..
Yes it will. But more importantly the solder connection will keep corrosion from setting in and degrading this important connection that's part of the battery charging circuit.

I gave up on the crimp I just cant solder .but I got the charging mod done and I am putting out some good volts now.I am going to get a volt meter so I can monitor when the bike runs all the time.

I gave up on the crimp I just cant solder .but I got the charging mod done and I am putting out some good volts now.I am going to get a volt meter so I can monitor when the bike runs all the time.

The crimp fix is kind of a band-aid on the problem. Do one better, and just bypass it. Run the R/R's red wire directly to the + side of the battery, put a 30A fuse in line. Voila! Problem solved.

Brush some flux on the crimp and wires and make a heat shield of aluminum foil to protect the other wires.

I don't have an iron or gun and used a propane campfire starter, similar to a pencil torch.....worked very well.

Like Mark said....heat one end and apply solder at the other, when it reaches the right temp it will suck the solder in.[/QUOTE]

+1
When I did mine, I took the tip off of my butaine soldering iron (converts to a pencil torch) and soldered away. It couldn't have been simpler.

The crimp fix is kind of a band-aid on the problem. Do one better, and just bypass it. Run the R/R's red wire directly to the + side of the battery, put a 30A fuse in line. Voila! Problem solved.

Yeah .I did that and it pumps some good juice now.

Back