cross sountry ride...surfers input needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max D

Reaction score
So after joining the coast guard a year ago and being relocated from ohio to the oregon coast i've been loving riding along the 101 in the pacific northwest and surfing as much i possibly can. I recently got orders to Bahrain for a one year tour. So before i go i figure now is a better time than any other to do a coastal ride in search of awsome waves and just going for a ride on my 06 stock max. The plan is to ride south on the 101 to nor cal. and surf a spot there then down to the bay area (im skipping so. cal. becaue i've surfed there alot during port calls on my ship so it'll save some time and money). Following that ill be heading east to south padre island texas and surfing there and then further east to dayrona florida. Then up to the outter banks north carolina. From there i'll cut away from the surfing voyage and head home to ohio before i go to training in VA. In total it's going to be atleast 6k mile ride so there'll be a couple of oil changes lol) If anyone has input on where some good waves in these locations are or if you think theres a better spot i should be heading too let me know.
I plan on changing every singal drop fluid on the max including coolant and and fork oil etc before the ride and a fresh set of tires but if you guys got any other suggestions to better prepare her let me know. I'm looking at just renting a board at the breaks and camping out as much as i can to cut back on cost.

Good luck, I wish I could do that. I always wanted to take a couple months and just tour the country. That's been a dream for a long time. If you come anywhere near Pittsburgh let me know.

Here's a good site for Info on Outer Banks surf spots:
http://www.surfline.com/travel/index.cfm?id=2150
There are plenty of shops that will rent you a board too.
Here's a good NC surf line as well:
http://magicseaweed.com/North-Carolina-Surf-Forecast/24/

I lived in Raleigh for years and usually surfed anywhere from Atlantic Beach (Central, NC) to down around Ocean Isle Beach (in southern, NC).
Late Fall to Spring is definitely the time to Surf NC, summer is usally dead flat ( there a few good Summer Beach Break Boogie Boarding Spots though).
I learned to surf in San Diego, CA years ago on 6 - 8 footers, while I was stationed in there in the Navy.
Just don't expect NC to provide anywhere near the size waves you'll find in CA, you'll be sadly disappointed.
They tend to be in the 2-5 foot range, unless you're as crazy as some guys I know and surf some pre-hurricane waves.

Last edited:
Sounds like an awsome adventure!...................Have fun and ride safe, my dad used to take us out to S Padre island in the mid 60s when we lived in Corpus Christie, haven't been in the ocean since................................Tom.

If your headed to daytona, fl, you might as well go one more hour south to cocoa beach, satellite beach, and melbourne beach; and ride the waves that kelly slater grew up on!

Waves are prime during the Fall through early Spring (oct - mar). U being from pacific coast will find the florida atlantic warm as bath water. Florida gulf coast = no waves, but some of the most beautiful beaches in the world--snow white sand that squeaks 'neath your feet, emerald green waters, and mid-western hospitality!

regards from my tapatalking android...

Curious how you plan to carry around the surf board?
biglaugh.gif
surfboard+on+motorcycle+drawing.jpg

:punk: :punk: :punk: :punk::rofl_200: :rofl_200: :rofl_200: :rofl_200:

actually the plan was to just rent one and hoof it to the beech but after seeing some of these ideas hmmmmmmmmmmmm haha

Enjoy the ride sounds like fun. I am close to Clearwater Florida if you come thru that area & need any assistance or just wanna meet up feel free to give ma a call. 813-270-0000 I always have Vmax oil filters on hand & would be happy to help out.

Surfed off the Cal cost in my youth---- then discovered girls, motorcycles and cars( in that order.
If you can get back the the centrial Cal. coast got the "Maverics" ( south of San Francsco) Biggest waves on the west cost.

Lew

well that was one hell of a trip lol sorry no pictures had to trade my camera for beer and surf wax.

Here's a good site for Info on Outer Banks surf spots:
http://www.surfline.com/travel/index.cfm?id=2150
There are plenty of shops that will rent you a board too.
Here's a good NC surf line as well:
http://magicseaweed.com/North-Carolina-Surf-Forecast/24/

I lived in Raleigh for years and usually surfed anywhere from Atlantic Beach (Central, NC) to down around Ocean Isle Beach (in southern, NC).
Late Fall to Spring is definitely the time to Surf NC, summer is usally dead flat ( there a few good Summer Beach Break Boogie Boarding Spots though).
I learned to surf in San Diego, CA years ago on 6 - 8 footers, while I was stationed in there in the Navy.
Just don't expect NC to provide anywhere near the size waves you'll find in CA, you'll be sadly disappointed.
They tend to be in the 2-5 foot range, unless you're as crazy as some guys I know and surf some pre-hurricane waves.

Agree with DMAN on the E.Coast surf or lack of , therefore , I would skip straight to VA. Beach . No bigger waves , but there is always a lot of beautiful
women.

:punk::punk::punk:

Back