CTS Cadillac V-VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I was on the FL Turnpike heading south from school. A CTS (dunno if it was a V) was just behind me coming thru a toll booth. He pulled-up on me prettty-quickly & paced me. I went to the right around traffic, he went left.

There was an overpass, I think it's 10th St. (Ft. Lauderdale) across the Turnpike. The side of the overpass is pretty-dark because of the wide overpass & the pillars next to the road supporting the span, it's a favorite place for the Highway Patrol(FHP) to sit, because of concrete barricades lining the road. It's hard to see if anyone's lurking in there as you approach.

So the CTS pulled-away from me, he stayed in the left two lanes & began weaving in & out of the traffic. I kicked it down to 70. He was about 300 yds ahead. We came to the overpass, & as I approached, I saw a car roof in-between the pillars & above the concrete barricades, you had to be looking. The CTS was still kickin' it pretty-good.

Sure-enough, as I came abreast of the overpass, FHP trooper, sitting w/his driver's door open. He shuts the door, the motor is running, & after I pass him, he pulls out, at first he's not in a hurry, but then he nails it. I am cruising in the 2nd from right lane. He passes me doing 85-90 & accelerating. He begins to weave into the left lanes and by now is 100 mph+. He's in the far-left lane, the overhead lights go-on, and traffic in-front of me starts flashing brake lights as the captured prey & the FHP trooper work their way to the right shoulder. It's the Cadillac CTS!

And I pass them by, on my way home. No big race, but I avoided a couple of tickets, or worse.

Sorry Tim, no 'spikes & blue lights' tale of police pursuit of this guy! I'm just glad I saw the cop & wasn't into doing bad things in such a public place. Live to ride another day-and no points.:biglaugh:

Last edited:
I had a pretty cool one yesterday busted away from a light like my ass was on fire hit 75 look over state boy right beside me!!! Checked out my bike for a few seconds and hauls ass! Needless to say...... Always check your mirrors boys! He had to be behind me at the light?

Wow, I don't think you have LEO's in IN w/much of a sense of humor, so you are lucky! Especially IN Troopers! Maybe because you backed-out of it pretty-soon.

I had a pretty cool one yesterday busted away from a light like my ass was on fire hit 75 look over state boy right beside me!!! Checked out my bike for a few seconds and hauls ass! Needless to say...... Always check your mirrors boys! He had to be behind me at the light?

If you like a cts-v, might as well go buy a Z01 vette and get the real deal instead of the detuned posh version designed for soccer moms, but those with a husband who still has an inkling of desire to drive fast left that hasn't been stamped out by the wife, and this car seems like a compromise between the luxury sedan the wife demands and a car for daddy to occasionally go out with, slap a $600 radar detector on the dash, and go do 20 over on the highway.

I would have nailed your Max and showed the dolt who's boss. Sure, the V would get you in top end, but people who buy cadillac's are probably pissing themselves if they hit 80. Can almost guarantee they wouldn't follow you to 145. And even if you blew by the cop first with the poser-mobile on your tail, who's the cop going to go for? Motorcycle or ticket-target aka luxury car.

The one and only time a car has dusted me on the bike was a Mitsubishi sedan(no badges), presumably with an enormous turbo and/or nitrous. We were cruising at 100, he paced up, looked over, nailed it, I heard the turbo whine and it shot off like a bullet. Didn't even begin to reel it back in, it was gone in a snap.

Well, I am a conservative rider compared to being younger. The State of FL has drastically increased fines for infractions and put new offenses on the books. I don't mind a spirited launch but I am not likely to test top end. I would like to get some radials for the better handling before I approach those speeds!

Actually, I might throw some low bars onto it & go to a track day, what better way to embarass a squid than on a VMax?

So, on to the next victim, er, motorist...
On I-95 into Miami, entered the "Lexus lanes" (pay lanes), & there had been a Lexus LX470 weaving back & forth across multiple lanes of traffic to get ahead of me. I was cruising w/left-lane traffic. So he finally goes far-right, then swoops-across all lanes to the left, & settles in-front of me. We enter the pay lanes & he boots it. I let him go. On the other side of the overpass, which is probably the highest point in south FL not in a high-rise building, he's got company. The road opens up, a relatively straight shot into downtown Miami towards the Miami Heat team's exit.

After multiple times of pass-re-pass he has come to realize there is no-way his fat bloat of an SUV is anywhere near being able to play on any level w/Mr. Max. Not even a Porsche Cayenne Turbo can do that, except on top-end. He finally hung-back not wanting to face the humiliation in-front of the passengers again. he probably thought he got dusted repeatedly by a Harley-Davidson! The 'profile,' you know.

I did pass a Lamborghini cruising down to Miami before I met the Lexus, he was playin' it cool, just cruisin', enjoying the evening. Too-much traffic to use that bad boy's talents!

A few years ago, when they had first been released, I was in traffic in Ft. Lauderdale next to a Ferrari F40. We were at a light and I think he was disappointed someone knew what it was, since they had just been imported. I almost bought a 1700 mi. on-the-odo Ducati 851 (from the local Ferrari dealer, Shelton Ferrari) the same time I bought my '92 VMax, a year-old. I think I have had more fun w/less maintenance on the VMax. It was $5K cheaper, too!

I think the CTS is one the best cars GM has ever put together in it's entire history.

565Hp in a 3850Lb car that handles as well as a Vette for all intents and purpose is nothing to sneeze about.

And your thinking of GM's old market/buyer segment of the 80's still.

Everyone I see driving the V's around Texas has Hot-Rodded the piss out of 'em, otherwise they wouldn't spend the bank on the extra Horsepower, would just get the V6

I ain't saying they're the end all to be all, but I hope there is always a place in the world for pure excess brought to a high form and made available to the public...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8As1zshWxn0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mITs8fQRwgk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfGfWu2u1FA

I am a fan of the CTS's including the "V" because GM is really doing what they need to, to be in the market of selling vehicles. They do have corporate issues which hamper them from unleashing Thor's Hammer, but you have to admit, their latest offerings have some great value in their chosen market places.

I have posted on here awhile ago about my friend who works for GM at the Warren MI Tech Center, I have visited him there, and it is an impressive place. Their wind tunnel can swallow an 18 wheeler. They designed generations of cars for market in the complex. The courtyard by the reflecting pool, w/its angular tiles, has served as the backdrop for some of the most advanced styling exercises. For example, just look-up on the internet the "Firebird" dream car series. From turbines, to joysticks, to tiny wrist steering wheels, all-sorts of technology has been tried out on the GM dream cars. Some made it to market, some did not.

So my buddy gets a take-home vehicle for a week, I think it is, and the idea is that the neighbors see the car or truck, and then he engages in some grass-roots advertising for the brand.

All GM cars have On Star & have had it for awhile. One of the GM employees who got a CTS-V took it out for a 'blow-out-the-cobwebs' run. He didn't even hit top-end, but On Star called the corporate offices and reported, "Vehicle # ???___? was tracked to a top speed of >160 mph." The employee lost his job.

A fellow employee from the fire dept. who just retired bought a CTS-V and he loves it. A 'Vette is a rolling target for any LEO, but a CTS-V much-less so. "Go in-stealth, my son, and do battle for GM!"

If you like a cts-v, might as well go buy a Z01 vette and get the real deal instead of the detuned posh version designed for soccer moms, but those with a husband who still has an inkling of desire to drive fast left that hasn't been stamped out by the wife, and this car seems like a compromise between the luxury sedan the wife demands and a car for daddy to occasionally go out with, slap a $600 radar detector on the dash, and go do 20 over on the highway.

I would have nailed your Max and showed the dolt who's boss. Sure, the V would get you in top end, but people who buy cadillac's are probably pissing themselves if they hit 80. Can almost guarantee they wouldn't follow you to 145. And even if you blew by the cop first with the poser-mobile on your tail, who's the cop going to go for? Motorcycle or ticket-target aka luxury car.

The one and only time a car has dusted me on the bike was a Mitsubishi sedan(no badges), presumably with an enormous turbo and/or nitrous. We were cruising at 100, he paced up, looked over, nailed it, I heard the turbo whine and it shot off like a bullet. Didn't even begin to reel it back in, it was gone in a snap.

When I went thru the toll booth, it's electronic transponder or pay cash. I have a transponder. The CTS went thru behind me in another lane & then went hard-left lane-hunting, found it, & began to cruise much faster than traffic, but he didn't keep his foot in it. He got up to probably about 95 mph & then varied his speed as he weaved in & out trying to make time.

I have heard rumors that the FL Turnpike has an interface to scan plates & alert when a scofflaw is a 'hit.' I have seen several FHP (FL Highway Patrol) Troopers sitting in a 'wolf pack' waiting for traffic to clear the toll booths, and then after a certain auto passes, one goes after him in pursuit, and pulls him over about 1/2 mi. down the road. That's why I wasn't in any particular hurry to speed coming-out of the transponder lane, because you'd be doing it right in-front of the FHP. I think that was what caught the Trooper's eye, that the guy was on it pretty-hard thru the toll plaza & then cut multiple lanes to get in the far-left, where he started weaving in & out. I did too, in the middle lanes, w/o being overly-aggressive, but I was keeping it at 70 while he was 25 mph faster, it didn't take him long to get 400-500 yds. ahead, buy by that time the Trooper was by me & threading thru traffic in 'stealth,' no lights, until he got behind the CTS & lit 'em up. There was too-much traffic for a car to run.

I hope there putting that motor into the XLR-V that 2 seater I think is THE baddest Cadillac ever!!

My GM buddy said the XLR has the worst frequency of repair record, or is it defects from the factory, for a Cadillac? Hmmm, I can't recall, I'm gonna email him tomorrow. I like the looks of it.

I liked the looks of the Allante, but it was too-expensive. Like the Chevy SSR, interesting to look at but too-expensive.

Remember the Chrysler Lebaron-looking Maserati? Another too-expensive model.

but people who buy cadillac's are probably pissing themselves if they hit 80.

I've driven Cadillacs for several years now - currently a DTS - and repeatedly set the cruise above 85 (interstate) and have never, ever pissed myself.

If someone were to give me a CTS-V, or I won one in a contest, I wouldn't hesitate to pace you up to 145 mph, provided there's no rev-limiter in the way. :biglaugh:

Oh, and not only am I NOT a mom, I can't stand to even watch soccer.

.....just sayin'......:whistlin:

There's a Hennessy CTS-V Video out there somewhere where they launched and ran either the 1/4 or the mile and Onstar called because the sensor detected such a hard launch that it thought there was an "event".................. sorta funny

190mph (claimed) off the show room floor is pretty dang awesome in my book...and run in the high 11's stock....:punk:

190 is probably true if they'll run 180's in the standing mile...not sure how much distance it takes to make top speed on these....

The reason the XLR's (caddy on a vette platform) were such a POS was because they never got the LS motor, these always had some variant of the Caddilllac Northstar engine which was way too much tech packed into an engine for GM to execute, apparrently GM has never figured out how to build a good 4 valve double overhead cam motor yet, the good old two valve pushrod LS engine in all the CTS-V's is way better......

I would pick a CTS-v over Z01 corvette any day of the week.

I'm with you there. I Love corvette's but something about the body lines of the CTS-V matched with that monster power house just reels me in!

Off topic but deffinately with my red neck Texan self I was more impressed with any thing last night than when I watched the 4 wheel drive 3/4 ton extended cab chevrolet diesel run consistant 12.60's

From what I've heard that's also about what a cts-v will run...mid 12's and trapping at 115-120. Which just isn't that impressive, considering what else is in it's power/price class.

A Z06 Vette will run high 11's all day long bone stock.

A corvette is a sports car. A cts-v is a big bloated luxury sedan with a supercharger stuffed under the hood. When the curb weight is two tons, it doesn't get to be a sports car anymore.

You can stuff a giant Ultima engine in a harley bagger, that doesn't mean it's now a sportbike.

There's a Hennessy CTS-V Video out there somewhere where they launched and ran either the 1/4 or the mile and Onstar called because the sensor detected such a hard launch that it thought there was an "event".................. sorta funny

190mph (claimed) off the show room floor is pretty dang awesome in my book...and run in the high 11's stock....:punk:

190 is probably true if they'll run 180's in the standing mile...not sure how much distance it takes to make top speed on these....

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/cts-v1000-coupe.html

1000 hp. Vs 556hp in the 2012 CTS-V coupe

Latest posts

Back