curious any has done this ???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutyhole

Reaction score
The Vboost servo has been disabled and a switch added to open or close the Vboost valve. This allows the Vboost to be closed during warm up or while in stop/go traffic.

Yep, not too uncommon for those that have a bad vboost controller. I have a DPDT switch to open/close my vboost butterflies
sorry I only had my bike for a week been reading so much my head is about to explode :bang head: This allows the Vboost to be closed during warm up or while in stop/go traffic ? so it well worth mod then ?:eusa_dance:

True....with the servo disconnected the Vboost would stay open and run all of the time, and would sound great...but not in stop and go traffic...it might load up. Also Ive been told its hard to sync the carbs with the Vboost open all of the time.

Without the switch, and with the bike all stock, as it came from the factory, the V-boost butterfly would normally be closed most of the time anyway, and only begins opening at around 5-6K rpms. I think most that have a switch added, do so in order to keep the V-boost open at all times, rather than have it open normally.

Explore the site more. There's probably an old thread around which discusses the pro's and con's of doing it.

I had my carbs balanced with butterflies open/ close, the readings were the same.

Soundguy,
That's only if you use the Weber gauge that sit on top of the carbs, using a Carbtune or similar Manometer the readings jump all over the place with the VBoost open.

I had a momentary switch wired into my '96 for awhile but there was always one thing that bothered me about it.....when the key is turned on the v boost motor will cycle, it opens, closes and 'relaxes' the cable. It always seemed difficult to duplicate the amount of relax tension supplied by the factory set up...I admit I have no idea how important that is but assume Yamaha put it there for a reason.

It's not possible to duplicate the factory v boost operation at speed anyway....too much other stuff going on, why not a simple toggle switch to interrupt the cycle when the boost opens and run it open....sounds better at red lights anyhow! :punk:

I had a momentary switch wired into my '96 for awhile but there was always one thing that bothered me about it.....when the key is turned on the v boost motor will cycle, it opens, closes and 'relaxes' the cable. It always seemed difficult to duplicate the amount of relax tension supplied by the factory set up...I admit I have no idea how important that is but assume Yamaha put it there for a reason.

It's not possible to duplicate the factory v boost operation at speed anyway....too much other stuff going on, why not a simple toggle switch to interrupt the cycle when the boost opens and run it open....sounds better at red lights anyhow! :punk:

ohhhh yaaaaa

Question.

You can disconnect the round plug to keep the vboost open all the time. Can be a pain for syncing so I installed a switch on the ( I believe black) wire so I don't have to take the scoop off all the time and can easily change between always open and normal operation. This works great and is what some are talking about here.

Question is, if I have that switch so my vboost is open all the time and am driving down the road, say at 4k rpm and flip the switch back to normal vboost operation will the vboost close as I am driving? I have always set it when the vboost cycles at first start but curious if I could use it when running. To go from normal to boost always open I would assume say at 7k I could flip the switch and then vboost wouldn't close as I drop rpm? Thoughts?

I think it would close at 4K if you flipped the switch....check it at idle, if it closes at idle it'll close at 4K.

Seems like it would also stay open at 7K in your second scenario.

Soundguy,
That's only if you use the Weber gauge that sit on top of the carbs, using a Carbtune or similar Manometer the readings jump all over the place with the VBoost open.

so what should i be doing to get the best sync? with what type of gauge?:confused2:

so what should i be doing to get the best sync? with what type of gauge?:confused2:

Most of us prefer the morgan carbtune due to ease of use.

Make sure the vboos butterfilies are CLOSED when synching the carbs.

Check the carb section "stickies" for an excellent how to on synching the carbs. Thanks Mark!

I've always used the Carbtune but got the Wagner from my daughter for Christmas. My future plans will make good use of it. The carbtune or similiar makes sense, if your using the stock air box. The Wagner requires air box removal.

Latest posts

Back