Curse My Lack of Luck

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird, this just happened to me too!

I parked it full in November. I would start and run it for a few minutes every couple weeks, then went for a ride today and after about 5 miles, Fuel Light!

I really thought I would have more left. For the record, it starts and runs fine, but is does smell pretty gassy when warming up/idling. Have not ridden far enough for a mileage test. What do you do if it's too rich?

Well I got the bike back home mid last week and parked it in the garage. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong with it all. I met some buddies up in the north woods of WI yesterday and put on about 350 miles @ around 40-45 mpg. It ran smooth and everything seemed alright.

-JB

If your getting 40-45 MPG.........................Your not riding it hard enough!...........................:biglaugh:

Ah, ok, I know loads of people thinking that it's alright to start the bike and as soon as it heats up they turn it off... that is a bad idea

Ah, ok, I know loads of people thinking that it's alright to start the bike and as soon as it heats up they turn it off... that is a bad idea

+1, unless you're going to ride it, just let it sit. Just warming it up for 5 minutes introduces undue condensation, and needlessly taxes the charging system. Better to just add some fuel stabilizer and wait it out.

In a "Winterization" thread someone said to "turn the key" once a week, did they mean just that, and not start it up? What does that do?

In a "Winterization" thread someone said to "turn the key" once a week, did they mean just that, and not start it up? What does that do?

It cycles the fuel pump and fills the float bowls. I've never done it myself, but it gives some people piece of mind.
I just add a fuel additive, ride it around a little, top off the tank and thats it, as far as that goes. My bike just came out of hybernation with no issues
and a friend's Vmax just came out of hybernation after sitting in an unheated shed at -60 at times with no issues.

Yea, it's the everlasting argument...

I personally never start my bike in winter, never have a problem. I also don't charge my battery all I do is disconnect my + terminal and lock the bars. I did but stabilizer at one point but came to the conclusion that it's a waste of $.

+1, unless you're going to ride it, just let it sit. Just warming it up for 5 minutes introduces undue condensation, and needlessly taxes the charging system. Better to just add some fuel stabilizer and wait it out.
Exactly.

Yea, it's the everlasting augment... I did but stabilizer at one point but came to the conclusion that it's a waste of $.

that might depend on if you are getting good fuel or corn subsidized fuel. I can show you links purportting to show how fast those fuels separate out and leave gunky sludge floating around in your system. I don't have any first hand experience with it as such, but a bottle of stabil or the like seems like cheap insurance to me.

Latest posts

Back