Curse My Lack of Luck

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JrBiem

Reaction score
So the weather finally broke here in ole WI. I was all psyched to ride, but when I fired up Mr. Max and let him warm up the low fuel light was on. "WTF", I parked it with a full tank of gas. So I filled it up, thinking that maybe perhaps a friend of my mom's came and took it for a cruise (I told him he could if he liked, since he's been drooling since I bought this thing). I drove it about 35 miles a couple days later on my trip to school/work and then home. I parked it in the garage over night, and the next afternoon jumped on to go meet my fiance for lunch...the sun was bright and I didn't notice the light, but I ran out of gas like a mile from the restaurant.

The sales guy at the dealership I bought it from had told me that if I ended up having any issues come spring to let them know, since I couldn't really test drive it in winter when I bought it. So I gave him a call and explained what was going on. The dealership is over an hour from my house, and I have no truck or trailer to get it there, so they set it up for me to bring it in to their local dealer about 2 miles from my house. They are owned by the same guy, but the way I understand it is the dealerships aren't linked financially and they don't share inventory or anything.

But anywho this was on Friday afternoon that I dropped it off, and as I was leaving they were loading it in the truck so one of the co-owners could drive it the hour to the other dealership for me. They said they are going to make it right and get it fixed for me, so now I'm just not so patiently waiting. Thought I'd jump on here and share the story with ya'll.

-JB

I forgot to mention, the service guy at my local dealer thought maybe there was some kind of blockage in the carbs or a kinked hose or something that is causing the fuel to leak into the crankcase. There was never a puddle under the bike in the garage ever, and when you look at the oil level on the sidestand it's full. Made sense to me, but I'm still a newbie when it comes to bikes, so does that make sense to you seasoned folks?

-JB

With your Max on the sidestand on level ground you should hardly see any oil in the site glass, you check it standing straight up and the oil should be at the full mark, the crankcase may be overfilled and/or possibly contaminated with fuel, I'm glad the dealer is making things right with you, be patient and let them correct the problem, I would concider this good luck as the alternative would be you bought it as is.........................Keep us informed................Tom.

Sounds like sticky floats or bad needle valves. I would make sure it gets an oil change and the carbs get taken apart for an inspection and cleaning

Last edited:
before we dig in too deep. how much gas did you put in when the light was on?

before we dig in too deep. how much gas did you put in when the light was on?

I filled it up, so I'd say somewhere around 3 - 3 1/2 gallons (can't remember for sure). But with the light on we are talking at least only .8 gallons left right? Which would mean I for sure put in at least 3.2 gallons, but could potentially have been a bit more.

-JB

I filled it up, so I'd say somewhere around 3 - 3 1/2 gallons (can't remember for sure). But with the light on we are talking at least only .8 gallons left right? Which would mean I for sure put in at least 3.2 gallons, but could potentially have been a bit more.

-JB

thats fair, just making sure it didn't go on at some point with only 1 gallon missing ya know?

JB, you said you parked it last fall with a full tank.....did you run it at all during the winter?

How did it run while it was warming up?

Can the base even hold an extra 3 gallons of liquid...I don't think so! :ummm:

and it doesnt make sense because if it was turned off the fuel pump wouldnt be running, the most that would fit in the bowls is like what? a few ounces? he has a leak somewhere it sounds to me

The fuel tank is well below the level of the carbs thus the need for the pump. On the early bike that had fuel tanks above the carbs it was not uncommon for the fuel to leak past the needles when they got worn. This would drain the tank and put all the fuel into the crankcase.

This is impossible with your vmax.

Either:

A: You have a leak in the tank
B: You have someone stealing fuel (which is hard to do if you have the locking cap still)

I suppose it might be possible if the tank vent is plugged and the tank really heated up it could push fuel past the pump and past the needles but it's so unlikely I wouldn't even bother considering that as an option.

The fuel tank is well below the level of the carbs thus the need for the pump. On the early bike that had fuel tanks above the carbs it was not uncommon for the fuel to leak past the needles when they got worn. This would drain the tank and put all the fuel into the crankcase.

This is impossible with your vmax.

Either:

A: You have a leak in the tank
B: You have someone stealing fuel (which is hard to do if you have the locking cap still)

I suppose it might be possible if the tank vent is plugged and the tank really heated up it could push fuel past the pump and past the needles but it's so unlikely I wouldn't even bother considering that as an option.

Thanks for the info. No one is stealing it for sure, I do still have the locking cap. I haven't heard back from the dealer yet, but hopefully when they figure this out they are still willing to make it right as I can't imagine this is something cheap to fix.

The thing that blows my mind is: 3 gallons is a lot of fluid, how was there not a puddle on the garage floor?

-JB

JB, you said you parked it last fall with a full tank.....did you run it at all during the winter?

How did it run while it was warming up?

Can the base even hold an extra 3 gallons of liquid...I don't think so! :ummm:
I bought it in mid February from the dealer and parked it then with a full tank. I ran it a couple of times when the weather was nice. Everything seemed alright. I wouldn't have thought it could hold an extra 3 gallons either.

-JB

Yea, there definitely isn't three gallon's of gas in the crank-case, Sean's right, it wouldn't be exiting that way. I haven't the slightest idea how you could loose that much fuel in such a short period of time without any evidence of a leak in your garage, not to mention a real strong gassy smell. Maybe you have a leak somewhere that only exists when the key is on, and so you don't notice it when it's parked? Still very strange. I'll be interested to see how this one turns out, keep us posted.

Yea, there definitely isn't three gallon's of gas in the crank-case, Sean's right, it wouldn't be exiting that way. I haven't the slightest idea how you could loose that much fuel in such a short period of time without any evidence of a leak in your garage, not to mention a real strong gassy smell. Maybe you have a leak somewhere that only exists when the key is on, and so you don't notice it when it's parked? Still very strange. I'll be interested to see how this one turns out, keep us posted.

I just got off the phone with the service guy at the dealership. They got the bike Saturday morning and topped it off with gas. He said that it hasn't failed yet, and as of today the tank is still full. They also checked the oil and he said there isn't any gas in the crankcase (now I'm very confused, if it isn't in the crankcase or on the garage floor then where the F did it go?!?) So I gave him the ok to ride it a bit to see if that stirs anything up.

My fiance had noticed a gassy smell in the garage a while ago, but I was sick and couldn't smell anything and there was no puddle so I wrote it off.

Based on the info you guys have given me and the symptoms of the bike (specifically no puddle on the floor and no fuel in the crankcase) could it potentially be my fuel pump? And it only leaks while the bike is running?

It could be leaking while running. I fought with that and my 89. I had tried using some USCG Approved line that's Ethanol proof. Even after double clamps, it leaked while running. I reverted to more conventional line. Yours could just be a standard line leaking while running.:ummm:

Good Luck,
Dave

I was thinking about this, & decided something was needed to confirm a leak source, or, rule it out. http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/Fluorescent-Dye-detects-gasoline-and-diesel-fuel-leaks-825454 Looks like just the ticket!

"GAS-GLO(TM) 32 is formulated to detect gasoline and diesel fuel leaks in any enclosed circulatory system. Added to system to circulate, it remains at site of each leak, where it glows bright yellow when scanned with Spectroline? high-intensity ultraviolet or blue light inspection lamp. GAS-GLO 32 remains safely in system as part of diagnostic/maintenance program."

So if you are of a certain age, break-out the 'black light' from your collection of flourescent 1970's posters in the attic & get busy! You can get an inexpensive flourescent fixture & a ultraviolet light at your local 'big box' home store.

I was thinking about this, & decided something was needed to confirm a leak source, or, rule it out. http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/Fluorescent-Dye-detects-gasoline-and-diesel-fuel-leaks-825454 Looks like just the ticket!

"GAS-GLO(TM) 32 is formulated to detect gasoline and diesel fuel leaks in any enclosed circulatory system. Added to system to circulate, it remains at site of each leak, where it glows bright yellow when scanned with Spectroline? high-intensity ultraviolet or blue light inspection lamp. GAS-GLO 32 remains safely in system as part of diagnostic/maintenance program."

So if you are of a certain age, break-out the 'black light' from your collection of flourescent 1970's posters in the attic & get busy! You can get an inexpensive flourescent fixture & a ultraviolet light at your local 'big box' home store.
Far out man, that would be cool to see if the carb joints :Smoking: were leaking with some groovy colors. For some reason I can't remember where I put my black light man! Maybe it's the with the incense and the case of Twinkies!:hihi:

Far out man, that would be cool to see if the carb joints :Smoking: were leaking with some groovy colors. For some reason I can't remember where I put my black light man! Maybe it's the with the incense and the case of Twinkies!:hihi:

Hmmm, gotta run to the convenience store all of a sudden... mmmmm-Twinkies! Donuts!
homerdonut.jpg

"C'mon Marge, let's put on "In-a-gadda-da-vida" & drink cheap apple wine, now where's that other stuff?"

Alright, I talked with the service guy over at the dealership today. He told me they cant find any kind of leak or anything. It's been there since saturday and he said no change in the fuel level, they drove it a few times which apparently didn't inspire anything to happen.

I did recall however that I've been leaving the key in the ignition, and sometimes the garage isn't locked (so perhaps someone could've snuck in and stole it). I'm going to make arrangements to get the bike back tomorrow, and operate under that assumption. I will keep the key on me and make sure the garage is locked, that way if it happens again I know for sure something is wrong. If it does happen again that blacklight and dye trick looks like a winner. I'll keep ya'll posted.

-JB

not to be a smart ass, but maybe a cheap security camera?

Back