Cylinder Fins

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemax04

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you have seen some of the fins that are available from vendors for $150+ that don't even match the the curvature of those already on the engine because the CNC machine was not programmed for that arc. A friend of mine was boasting about the ones he bought for over $200. I took that as a sort of challenge to see if I could make something similar myself without a milling machine.

Bought 4 used lids from eBay and a piece of aluminum angle 1/8"x1"x1"x36" from the local hardware. Cut the angle into sections and then cut strips with a hacksaw a bit wider than the stock ones. Used a rough file to smooth the sides to make them parallel and the approximate thickness. Took the lids and placed the strips in such an order that the screw holding it to the engine, could be removed without notching the strips. Scribed lines where the strips would rest and then filed a groove into the lids 1/16" deep to cradle the strips, somewhat rounded so the curvature would fit.

Made 2 extra pieces (unfiled) for bending purposes until I found the right diameter container that would give me the same curvature as the stock ones. Clamped the strips to the lids and drilled two holes for a 10-32 aluminum screw. Clearance drilled the lid and tapped the strips. Heads of the screws are inside and what came through the strips, I flattened lightly with a hammer to swell the end of the screw.

Next step was to trim the strips in a V form to match the fins on the bike. Hacksaw did the job. Then there was just the matter of filing the rough edges and sanding the strips so no trace of the screws was visible. Bathed the assemblies in acetone, let dry and then sprayed them with aluminum paint. Through the camera it shows the two finishes not matching exactly but in looking at them by eye, they look like they belong.

Just something for those that like to work with metal and looking for something to do. All was done with a few hand tools everybody has at home and for less than $20.

Attachments

• Roughcut.jpg
    Roughcut.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Fins.jpg
    Fins.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Wholeshot (2).jpg
    Wholeshot (2).jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 151
Nice work! My $20 is waiting for the next one you make!

Buster Hymen said:
Nice work! My $20 is waiting for the next one you make!
Gotta write the big guy. I don't work (union) unless he gives me an order for the fins.

You got Santa's address? Ask your kids, they'll know.

mikemax04 said:
Gotta write the big guy. I don't work (union) unless he gives me an order for the fins.

You got Santa's address? Ask your kids, they'll know.
Santa's rules are too tough to get anything from him, you have to be good all year long!! Can't be done...! :newyear0:

Back