DD clutch, not sure if I like it......

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
The clutch pull isn't bad. That doesn't bother me. But the motor doesn't respond like it used to. The bike feels slower. I am not sure if the clutches where slipping and the bike was moving faster because it was able to rev quicker or not. Not sure. But it will pop the frontend easier in first gear, the other gear changes it seems to drop rpm too low and lugs. Shifting is harder. I ve missed shifts a couple times now. Its physically harder to shift.

I might hit some runs on it today.

I also installed new Shinko tires front and back. They grab and feel MUCH better.

So maybe its a combination of the clutch and tires..... Maybe the tires aren't spinning and the clutch isn't spinning either.

Not sure, but I ll keep you posted.

Todd

i bet things aren't slipping like they used to

i noticed more 'grip' when i went DD. i also went to a new master which helped the 'feel' (FJR)

did you bleed everything good? theres no clutch drag right? did u replace/blast plates?

assume you put in the full disk also. are you doing red line shifts or the monkey is trying to tell you to do more hp mods, hahahaha

I think I am being told that it was faster when it was freer to slip and rev up quicker. I notice with bikes with exhaust systems and jet kits, they rev a heck of alot faster.

Yes full disc, clutch is 100% good. The bike just is slow to rev now, compared to how it was when it was slipping and I am not sure if its the slippage and higher motor noise that made it feel faster, or if it was really faster.

Thanks
Todd

I can't speak to your main issue as I don't see how a slipping clutch ever helps things.

As far as the shifting, when I did my DD I broke a driveshaft almost immediately. I was used to clutching 1-2, and preloading the shifter and very slightly blipping the throttle off WOT to achieve the rest of them. I still do it that way with the DD. I'm talking about shifting under race conditions only.

Thing was the "feel" of the lever and the effort required to operate it was so completely different with the DD that the first time I tried the 1-2 bang shift using the clutch I screwed up and shocked the driveline so hard (I think I pulled it in too long and let the engine overrev before it re-engaged) it snapped the driveshaft. It was also probably why my tranny came apart (2nd gear catastrophic failure) a few years later the first time I let someone who wasn't used to it wring it out on a hard 1-2 shift.

I recommend riding it for a while and gradually increase how aggressive you are while retraining your "muscle memory" to use the new skills required to do the new "clutch, throttle, shifter dance" required for the DD.
I had to even relearn this just to get it rolling from a stop without bogging because the bite was so "On-Off"

I went with a PCW spring on my new 1540 stroker motor, (The DD effort was starting to get tiresome what with the slight arthritis I'm developing at 50 y.o.) it's about 150% stronger than stock and about 75% as strong as the DD I think. I haven't installed the motor yet so can't give feed back on how well it works yet.

Yeah I think I am going to leave it in for a little bit and see how it feels.

I am usually one to do one thing at a time when it comes to improving performance. But I just started pulling stuff off and refinishing and redoing it. So I ll have to see how it goes for a little bit.

I can totally understand what your saying with your "feel" statement. I don't think you can understand that statement unless you actually do the mod and ride it yourself. It is totally different feeling to me.

Thanks
Todd

be careful on WOT shifts. ive learned the hard way (as have others) about 2nd gear failure. My DD mod lasted 1 month. 2nd gear failure on a 2007 at 12000 kms. the clutch is designed to be a weak spot. i removed the DD, and i just replaced the rear disc to a full one. ill just continue to beat on the clutch, when it burns out its 100 bucks and 30 minutes, not 1000 bucks and 2 months.

The DD mod is a GREAT CHEAP mod. just DONT be violent on your shifts or youll understand exactly what we are all talking about.

good luck,
evan...

My vboost started working again magically. But I do understand the feeling. I am not sure but even with vboost is definitely slower then it was before. Going to pull the second spring out this week and retest.

Thanks
Todd

Dont see how putting stiffer clutch springs in would make it slower. Granted, its a single diaphragm spring, not multi coil but, same theory.

I like the fact the dd holds so well. Wasnt happy with the clutch feel with any master i tried till i got the zx11 radial one on.

Dont do WOT speed shifts at redline from 1-2, or 2-3. Bad shit can happen, lol.

Well the bike was a tick faster till it broke today.....

165992_448978021803009_1173833939_n.jpg

So the bike only felt slower because the motor wasn't spinning as freely as it was when the clutches where starting to slip. So the DD clutch didn't make it slower really, but did make it different on launch and shifting for me. Bike ran a few hundreths faster then a couple weeks ago. But that isn't necessarily from the DD hooking better.

Todd

Back