Did my first sync job....had to say thanks!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayoublaster

Reaction score
Just wanted to give thanks to everyone here (especially Maleko89 for his sync how to) for making this such a great place to kick back, relax, and not only learn a lot about my Max but make new friends. In regards to the sync job, it took me about 30-45 minutes to get it done (some of that extra time spent was my fault as I kept forgetting to blip the throttle) but I'm sure I can do it in 10-15 minutes next time. And to think the local Yamaha dealer wanted to charge me 2 hrs at $90 p/hr plus tax for something I actually enjoyed doing! Go figure. I can honestly say that it had a big impact on my throttle response (85 model). I used a homemade sync tool with the 4' board, clear plastic tubing and 2 stroke oil (I'd like to thanks the person who posted that tool also, but can't find the post anymore) which I'm sure most of you have seen already.
Anyway, thanks again guys and gals for making this such an informative and relaxing site to spend time on. :ten_out_of_ten:

Great job, I was like you before I did my first sync job but now the hardest part is the unbolting of the carb covers! I use a dial type sync tool (you can see it on Dale Walkers site) which works well too.
I know Richwrench made his own tool and has named it the "Sync Right 2000". :clapping:

Yup, RichWrench has invited me to come up and see his master piece....:biglaugh: I sync'd my bikes just the other day.. My wife hates it because I sync them at 3,000 RPM. She says I shake and rattle the whole house. I run fans on the radiators to keep the temp down and run them longer..:rofl_200:

BTW Bayoublaster, Congrats on "Poppin Your Synchronizing Cherry" and saving a ton of money...

You can also check sync at higher rpm's to see if all your slides are opening at the same time.

I check my "Sync" at the higher RPM and let the idle fall where it will. That way, I can be sure that the bike will be smooth at cruise..:biglaugh: I haven't owned many bikes that the carbs stayed in perfect sync throughout the rpm range. I've had good feed back from the select few I let ride my bikes and even a few job offers....:confused2:

It's a PITA to do this kind of sync alone but it can be done. Ya gotta run fans on the radiator, watch the rpm and hold it steady, watch the Gauges, turn the adjusting screw. Then lightly blip the throttle to re check. 2 people make this much easier...

OK Thanks. I didn`t know that.
I am used to working on my CBX with 6 . 31 year old carbs. That is a PITA.:bang head:

broook: Wow, I've never had to go there. If you can tune a CBX, you are "The Man" in my book... And, I am very sincere in saying that..... A CBX would be a RPITA....:biglaugh: or even 6 of a kind... OMG....

I always thought "sync" was for the IDLE circuit. What am I missing here????:ummm:

That's where you do sync your carbs. As Rich said, you blip the throttle to see if all four gages react the same. If not, could be a number of things. Slides, valve adjustment, compression, etc.

broook: Wow, I've never had to go there. If you can tune a CBX, you are "The Man" in my book... And, I am very sincere in saying that..... A CBX would be a RPITA....:biglaugh: or even 6 of a kind... OMG....

Thankyou. Hate to jump the thread but if you ever have to sinc a CBX do not go by the book or you will be there all day.
The correct order to sync is 56321 with 4 being the base.
The hard part is locating the adj screws. They are way down in there.
My carbs were preiiy well worn out so I had to do them at least twice a year to stop the clutch from rattling. Very common on the 79-80 twin shock models.

Just wanted to give thanks to everyone here (especially Maleko89 for his sync how to) for making this such a great place to kick back, relax, and not only learn a lot about my Max but make new friends. In regards to the sync job, it took me about 30-45 minutes to get it done (some of that extra time spent was my fault as I kept forgetting to blip the throttle) but I'm sure I can do it in 10-15 minutes next time. And to think the local Yamaha dealer wanted to charge me 2 hrs at $90 p/hr plus tax for something I actually enjoyed doing! Go figure. I can honestly say that it had a big impact on my throttle response (85 model). I used a homemade sync tool with the 4' board, clear plastic tubing and 2 stroke oil (I'd like to thanks the person who posted that tool also, but can't find the post anymore) which I'm sure most of you have seen already.
Anyway, thanks again guys and gals for making this such an informative and relaxing site to spend time on. :ten_out_of_ten:

Another testimonial to how much this place ROCKS!!!

You can do it, We can help.......oops I think that's already taken.....

I guess I need to clarify what I said about better throttle response. Prior to doing the sync job, there was a very noticable lag with the throttle right off of idle, but since the sync job, the throttle right off of idle is virtually instant. Did I luck out and fixed that problem some how during my sync job or was this a direct result of the sync job? Thanks again!

That's the number 1 reason to sync IMHO - bad idle/off idle. You CAN diagnose other issues above idle, but most people sync to correct exactly what you corrected. After a couple more, you'll be done in 5 minutes or less. :punk:

My 94 blips so fast it scares people at Red Lights. Especially Harley Rders and Crotch Rocketeers...:rofl_200:

3 Bros at work just bought Harleys this week - we are bashing each other on a dailey basis. :biglaugh: The Vrod buyer actually had no idea that his bike is a Vmax copy. I'm SLAYIN' those guys (all in good fun I might add). :punk:

3 Bros at work just bought Harleys this week - we are bashing each other on a dailey basis. :biglaugh: The Vrod buyer actually had no idea that his bike is a Vmax copy. I'm SLAYIN' those guys (all in good fun I might add). :punk:
Go out & show that Vrod your tail light maybe he will get rid of it.LOL Actually the Vrod is probably the most dependable bike Harley has they rarely ever came in with mechanical problems.

Probably one of the most reliable they have since it's not only watercooled but if I remember correctly, Porsche actually designed the engine and tranny for it.

Back