ditching harley for vmax...which should i buy?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggy

Reaction score
hello all, i'm thinking about trading my harley in for an older vmax. i'm looking to find something in the 4-6k price range. probably a '95-'05. any suggestions on model year would help me. i don't know a whole lot about these bikes, except they're fun and look cool as hell. thanks...

First and foremost......Welcome!

You will find enough resources and help on this forum to ensure you really know what to look for when you get down to serious looking.

On model year.....the newer the bike the better.
Yamaha continued to work out the little bugs over the entire model run.

Lastly, you hit the nail right on the head, the V Max is fun, fast and cool as hell.

I am getting ready to pick up a 98 and will either keep it for a temporary ride (while the 2 face is under reconstruction) or resell it once I get a few bugs worked out. I'm sure I can keep it well within your price range and it's a day drive here (and another day back).

I'm sure the guys here will tell you I shoot straight on anything I sell. Email for more info if you are interested.

Sean

Vouch for Morley

Boy did you ever come to the right forum - ex-Harley guy looking to trade up... Welcome, Bro!

Congratulations,
I own a 2001 carbon fiber model and I love it.
but, beware the mod monkey, if he finds out you own a max he will pay you a visit and drain your wallet.
There are many things that you can do to beast them out and we are here to help you in any way we can.
take care,
<<Dave>>:punk:

I will vouch for Sean as well. He is one of our resident V Max gurus.

Pretty much anything he says relating to the Max can be taken as gospel.

Ya, Sean Morley's about the best guy you can buy anything from!

I'd say shoot for a '99 or newer. That's got just about all the cool revisions and updates that Yamaha gave the Max. You should have no problems getting what you want in that price range.

There are always a bunch on fleaBay, but don't forget to check out your local Craigslist, good deals to be had.

Do a bit of reading here first, it'll give you a good idea on bikes value, and what to check and look out for.

Most importantly, welcome to the best Max forum on earth!

i had the same idea you did, and am also from indiana. i ended up just driving to morleys and getting one he offered me. no regrets. it will take you a day there and a day back.

I did the same. Sold my 2004 duece and bought a 2001 Vmax. Loving it tooo!!!!!! All these guys on here have helped me out everytime i've asked and haven't gotten a wrong answer yet!!!!!:worthy:

i'd go with morley and get the bike set up the way you want. be careful of the mod monkey and welcome!

Congratulations,
I own a 2001 carbon fiber model and I love it.
but, beware the mod monkey, if he finds out you own a max he will pay you a visit and drain your wallet.
There are many things that you can do to beast them out and we are here to help you in any way we can.
take care,
<<Dave>>:punk:

yeah i know all about the mod monkey.... i drive a subaru wrx

Welcome to the forum......this place is the BEST!!!!

Morley's Muscle, Sean Morley is definately a good place to go for anything Vmax.....up to and including a whole bike.....

What kinda' Harley are you getting rid of???:ummm:

My Forester is currently waiting for a little bodywork before it is roadworthy again.....damn deer:damn angry:

Once again.....welcome.....:punk:

Welcome to the forum......this place is the BEST!!!!

Morley's Muscle, Sean Morley is definately a good place to go for anything Vmax.....up to and including a whole bike.....

What kinda' Harley are you getting rid of???:ummm:

My Forester is currently waiting for a little bodywork before it is roadworthy again.....damn deer:damn angry:

Once again.....welcome.....:punk:

'07 sportster 1200N

My very first bike was an 85 max (bought it in 94 after I got my first real job). It was 1985, I was 15 and the dealership just uncrated the first Vmax to hit the floor. When I saw that thing I was :surprise:......... Since then I had a 1993 max and now I have a 2006. A great friend of mine bought a 2009 last year and Mod Monkey has hit him hard.

Been a Vmax lover my entire life and always will be.:punk:

.........WELCOME TO THE CLUB........

My wife has a Legacy GT 5 speed with Cobb up and down and Stage 2 tune... We left it there... She's not much for loud cars... :biglaugh:

Welcome and enjoy!

I'd try for '96 or later. JMO.

Chris

I love it - all my harley riding buddys here at work ask me when I'm going to "trade up" from my VMAX to a harley. LOL . If they only knew. Welcome aboard.

welcome man, you'll for sure love the max and cant go wrong getting a bike or parts from sean.

You'll have no problem finding a nice example in your price range...I picked up my '97 with tons of goodies already on it, mint condition for $4900 last summer.

Newer is better, and with your budget shoot for a '99 or newer. There were a bunch of updates in '93, and a weak link in the transmission fixed in '99(the new part can be easily retrofitted into older bikes though).

Once you ride a Vmax you'll have second thoughts about how "sporty" your Sportster was.

I had a guy with a "sporty" wanting to run me on the max one time. I asked him what kind of power he was putting out. His comment back was 75. I asked if it was at the wheel or the crank. He beat around the bush and it came right down to him having NO clue. Another guy with more money than brains... 75? WTH is that? My 1000 twin puts out 30 more BHP than that was my comment.

Chris

Back