Do I have the second gear blues...or Synth Oil blues???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBreinin

Reaction score
Took my Max for its first long ride today. This is an '85 with 24,500 on the clock. I had ridden it about 30 miles last weekend and never noticed any issues. However, today the first time I got hard on it in second gear I felt slippage. Now, it did not feel like it popped OUT of gear and back in, nor did it make any grinding noise. It just felt like it slipped. It revved up to around 10k in a "slippery" manner and then hooked.

I know the bike has Synthetic oil in it. The former owner said he went to synth...although the previous owner ran dino. It has a 10W40 fully synthetic in it.

So, is the dreaded 2nd gear blues, or could this be a symptom of the synth being too slippery? I did not notice any slippage in other gears.

Also, where do I get an oil filter and wrench for this thing? I guess I should at least try to give it a go with Dino oil.

What grade would you all suggest? I live in Louisiana..and it does get HOT down here.

Thanks!

p.s., problems or not....I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like the clutch is slipping from what you described. If you had a second gear problem it would pop out and the RPMS would shoot up almost as if you put it in neatruel
I know this is going to start an oil debate and I hope it doesnt!! Oil is like religion everyone has there opinion.
I dont use Synthetic oils in my VMAX due to this happening to me with clutch slippage. 10W40 is thin also unless you are riding in 20 degree weather and less. I would recomend 20W50 since the VMAX is a plain bearing engine.
If you want to make sure it is clutch slippage shift into 4th gear get the RPMs to 5K and go full throttle. It should pull without the RPMS climibing very fast

Yeah, that is what it feels like...slippage. I am going to change the oil and see what that does. I will go up to 20W50 dino.

Do I have to go to a Yamaha dealer to get a filter?

Mike

you might make sure it's motorcycle specific oil also.

ALOT of people think car oils have additives that cause clutch problems. The same people seem to think the diesel oil is ok for clutches.

I honestly don't know the truth there, but I also only use motorcycle specific oil.

Good luck!

you might make sure it's motorcycle specific oil also.

ALOT of people think car oils have additives that cause clutch problems. The same people seem to think the diesel oil is ok for clutches.

I honestly don't know the truth there, but I also only use motorcycle specific oil.

Good luck!

Thanks, I will use motorcycle specific oil then.

Anyone know the answer on the filter? Dealer item only?

Mike

YEA, ZRX/V-MAX IS RIGHT ! JUST USE WHAT THE MANUAL SAYS !! ANY OTHER OIL HAS TO BE FOR A MOTORCYCLE WITH A WET CLUTCH !!!! ITS NOT WORTH IT , & IT MAY TAKE 2 OIL CHANGES TO GET ALL OF THAT SYNTHETIC OIL OUT !!! & YOU SHOULD CHANGE IT HOT, BUT BE CAREFUL !!! J&P CYCLES , DEALER, NAPA, ALL SELL V-MAX OIL FILTERS, AND MOST PARTS STORES HAVE THE FILTER WRENCHES !! EVEN THE DEALER SELLS THEM !! LET US KNOW IF IT WORKS !!!!

You can get a filter from Napa, Autozone, Advance...
Even Crow Burlingame has my canister filter.
Any small filter wrench should suit your needs.

you have the old style internal filter. that might be kind of harder to find, but the good news it that you don't need a special wrench.

If you get it from Yamaha, they don't come with the o-rings. I think K&N does though.

Well, I dumped the oil and replaced it with Castrol GTX Motorcycle in 20W50.

All fixed! And, the bike pulls stronger. I guess I was getting some slippage I could not detect because the bike never pulled so hard. The first time I rolled on in second I was a little shocked because it pulled so damn hard.

I am very happy. Man, I love this bike!!!!!!!!!!:punk:

Mike

Took it out today for a long ride and it slipped again. Not on the first wind up, on the second or third. Not as bad though. I am going to try a second oil change, this tiime with a filter, and see if that helps. If not, I guess I need to take a look at the clutch.

How much of a job is a clutch? Could I possibly get away with a double D spring job or a PCW in lieu of the entire clutch change?

Mike

Took it out today for a long ride and it slipped again. Not on the first wind up, on the second or third. Not as bad though. I am going to try a second oil change, this tiime with a filter, and see if that helps. If not, I guess I need to take a look at the clutch.

How much of a job is a clutch? Could I possibly get away with a double D spring job or a PCW in lieu of the entire clutch change?

Mike

Hopefully another oil change will cure it

Clutch is not a big job - As far as getting away with double D, etc... you won't know till you have a look at the clutch steel discs and friction plates for wear.

Mike

Mike

It takes a while to get the syn stuff off/out of the plates. Been there done that on a KZ440 years ago.

It takes a while to get the syn stuff off/out of the plates. Been there done that on a KZ440 years ago.

I hope so. It held fine when my riding buddy tried to put the roll on me with his V-Rod...I almost ran his ass over in third. :biglaugh:

Mike

My best advice to you is plan on a new clutch asap. Buy the whole set-up from PCW. They have a heavy duty clutch spring and stay away from the DD. When changing your oil cut open old filter to see how much clutch material is in it. Once a clutch starts slipping it glazes the disks. You may need to change oil and filter a couple of times depending. Dave

what syn did you try ? probably not the problem just curious .....took my first ride today of the year with fresh iol change 5 40 syn with no problems

My best advice to you is plan on a new clutch asap. Buy the whole set-up from PCW. They have a heavy duty clutch spring and stay away from the DD. When changing your oil cut open old filter to see how much clutch material is in it. Once a clutch starts slipping it glazes the disks. You may need to change oil and filter a couple of times depending. Dave

Why do you say to stay away from the DD?

Jeff

what syn did you try ? probably not the problem just curious .....took my first ride today of the year with fresh iol change 5 40 syn with no problems

It came in the bike. I am pretty sure it was a regular old 10w40 syn, not bike specific.

Mike

I have had the double D for years and it works great, clutch lever is stiffer but you get used to it.

Mike

I have had the double D for years and it works great, clutch is stiffer but you get used to it.

Mike

I have the clutch spring on order, and have the gasket and extra friction plate, and am planning on doing this very soon. I just thought I would see why forestdaledave said to avoid it..... I'm still planning on doing this mod, but I always like to get opinions.

Jeff

Unless you put around everwhere I would leave the synthetic oil out of the motor and only in the rear diff.

I have the DD & 1/2 in mine.It's fine till you get stuck in traffic.Besides adding the full size discs in the rear I recommend bead blasting your steel discs.If they are smooth the clutch can still slip them.Nothing super aggressive,just a nice ancor pattern.Gives it something more to grip on.

Back