Do you let people ride your 'Max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partenr

Reaction score
My fiance' invited a her friends over the other day (a couple). I have a Beta 525RR woods bike, a Honda Express scooter, a couple riding lawn mowers, and the 'Max. Assuming the guy (very cool guy BTW) would be intimidated by a BRAND NEW 2007 1200CC bike that looks...well...like a V-Max looks - I expected him to wanna toodle around the yard on the scooter or something. I said "See anything you'd like to toy around on?"

You guessed it! He pointed to the 'Max and said "I'd LOVE to ride that!"

I asked, "Have you ridden motorcyles much? That's basically a tame drag-bike."

"Oh yeah" he says "I had a Trail 90 for years. And I've ridden friends' motorcycles."

No SH$T!! I'm sooooo on the spot now.

I told myself that toys are for playing with, and set him up with a helmet and a running V-Max. I was sorta dealing with my anxiety OK...then he hopped on, looked at the shifter and said "That's my clutch...errr..shifter?" doh...

I said, "Yeah, shifter"

He then asked if all the gears were up. Are you guys feeling me here? I was Uuuuup-tight. And the big finish was that he then just popped it into gear - without pulling in the clutch first. It lurched forward and died. I was crapping my pants. I got him going and said my prayers - and I am not a religious man. I have never been more nervous about anyone on any bike I loaned them. Ever. He came back OK. But later when we needed some parts for something, he said "Looks like someone need to ride that Bike to Lowe's."

I said nothing, but I thought "No Friggin Way!!!"

I know it sounds like our worst nightmare, but this really happened...just like this...yesterday!

Lesson learned LOL!!:confused2:

One word, two letters, you've got 1 guess.

Not even the guy that does the W.O.F. (state inspection equivalent) rides it. Not even the mechanic at the bike shop rides it. Not even my dad.
Last guy that tried to sit on it without asking near cracked his head open when he hit the pavement.

That gave me chills just reading that!:eek:
If that was me, I Probably would have faked a heart attack.
Come up with something quick to get him the hell out of the garage!

no one has ridden mine since I got it..... but a fellow co-worker wanted to.....told him he didnt have enough $$$$$ to cover any potential damage.....lol
I DID let my gf TRY to ride it (just rolling it....no gas) in a parking lot.... a few feet away and she had enough, but I was walking right next to it!

To me, a motorcycle is like a toothbrush. I wouldn't let anyone use my Max unless I'd let that person use my toothbrush. That narrows it to a field of one, and she's afraid to stand next to it when it's idling.

I've let a few friends ride mine but I was riding their bike so we both had something at stake.

I let my bro ride mine when it was new and still VERY tight. 4WARND rode it last year, but this year I haven't had it out but 4 times so I am the only one that's rode it. I want to let 4WARND ride it to give me a comparison of his to mine. Bias tires to Radials comparison.

HELL I just want to ride the damn thing...:bang head:

I would be straight up honest with someone that has never ridden a Vmax before. I would hope they understood. To me the Vmax isn't that bad. I guess that my SV has a higher power to weight ratio so maybe I'm used to it, but that's not saying the Max is meant for NooB's.
whistlin.gif

My fiance' invited a her friends over the other day (a couple). I have a Beta 525RR woods bike, a Honda Express scooter, a couple riding lawn mowers, and the 'Max. Assuming the guy (very cool guy BTW) would be intimidated by a BRAND NEW 2007 1200CC bike that looks...well...like a V-Max looks - I expected him to wanna toodle around the yard on the scooter or something. I said "See anything you'd like to toy around on?"

You guessed it! He pointed to the 'Max and said "I'd LOVE to ride that!"

I asked, "Have you ridden motorcyles much? That's basically a tame drag-bike."

"Oh yeah" he says "I had a Trail 90 for years. And I've ridden friends' motorcycles."

No SH$T!! I'm sooooo on the spot now.

I told myself that toys are for playing with, and set him up with a helmet and a running V-Max. I was sorta dealing with my anxiety OK...then he hopped on, looked at the shifter and said "That's my clutch...errr..shifter?" doh...

I said, "Yeah, shifter"

He then asked if all the gears were up. Are you guys feeling me here? I was Uuuuup-tight. And the big finish was that he then just popped it into gear - without pulling in the clutch first. It lurched forward and died. I was crapping my pants. I got him going and said my prayers - and I am not a religious man. I have never been more nervous about anyone on any bike I loaned them. Ever. He came back OK. But later when we needed some parts for something, he said "Looks like someone need to ride that Bike to Lowe's."

I said nothing, but I thought "No Friggin Way!!!"

I know it sounds like our worst nightmare, but this really happened...just like this...yesterday!

Lesson learned LOL!!:confused2:

should've told him .. no no no , gears all down:whistlin: , at least he would have stayed in 1st gear:stretche:

There is one person that can ride it anytime he wants to, it's my buddy with the 1500 conversion on his bike. I know if he tears it up he can pay to have it fixed.

I've also got a reverse shift pattern on my rear sets which is one more reason not to let anyone else ride it.

Same for me, I will not ride anything that belongs to anybody unless I can afford to buy it/ fix it.

Rusty

I let my old man ride mine any time he wants. I rode/drove all his stuff growing up, he can mine now. Otherwise, there are two close friends, and on occasion we swap bikes.

Defunatly not, I haven't even let my brother ride it. He, likewise has not let me ride his fz-1. Most of my buddies that ride Hardley's have asked to ride it, and offered theirs to ride, I just say no thanks.:biglaugh:

So far not yet, after reading your story I would have stopped that guy before he ever got the bike in gear!!!!My son is the only person I would let ride it, but he doesn't have his CM liscense yet so he can't. He's 20 hope he's 30 before he decides to get the liscense.I would consider letting another Vmax owner as long as I was riding his. Other than that NO.

everyone I've ever let ride one of my vmaxes has ended up buying one themselves. I don't let just outright noobs ride it.

Sean

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Only another Max owner. My son wants to ride in the future [13 now]. If he rides like I think he will, I sense trouble:stickyman: I let him rap on the throttle some & he holds his ears - Kerker4-2-1 2.5" baffle

Speak of the devil. Today at work, one of my co-workers wanted to swap bikes overnight. He has an '86 Fazer (baby Max). He's pretty trustworthy. He's been riding his bike for a couple years now, and he's also riddend stuff with some more power (e.g. FZ1). So I said what the hey! I rode the Fazer home, he rode my bike home. After riding his bike, I want my bike back!!!! It's got some decent power, but absolutely no torque, and such short gears. Hopefully I'll see my bike in one piece in the morning. BTW, he said he'll throw some gas in it, since he was running almost empty with his. I never told him where the filler cap was. I wonder if he'll find it.

If you had a chance to ride a Fazer with the 1000 conversion you may not want the max back.

Sean

If you had a chance to ride a Fazer with the 1000 conversion you may not want the max back.

Sean

The fazers are cool little bikes but to me it feels like a moped compared to my max.

I'm looking into the 1000 engine or possibly the top end conversion,909 or whatever they call it. I have 2 spare engines now.a fazer 700 and fz 750.

Latest posts

Back