Do you let people test ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a rule, I only allow other VMax owners ride my bike. I would NEVER allow a test ride to a stranger cash in hand or not! I have no way to know their skill level and besides, I am not insured for that! You folks that say cash first may be in for a surprise if they crash, they can/might try to sue you. Title was never transferred so technically you are the owner of record. Heaven forbid they hurt or kill someone else besides themselves. Rethink when you sell it. Definitely pull the plate, cancel the insurance, and time and date a statement of sale signed by both parties. Doesn't legality SUCK !:damn angry:

Ya, in the end, someone could be TRASHING the hell out of your Max while you're holding their cash, then return it uncrashed, but is it really undamaged?

I dunno. I guess riding bitch is about the best way I can think of, but even then I'd want to have the full purchase amount in cash left at home with someone - you just never know who's gonna throw you off, stab ya or whatever else they may try.

We will in f****d up world..

And then having said that, when I bought my Max I turned up on my EN450LTD, and the guy just let me take the Max out for a ride around. Go figure! :confused2:

Lets turn this question around how many of you would buy a bike without test riding,me no way in HELL i have to ride it, or im thinking the seller is trying to hide something. JIM

Lets turn this question around how many of you would buy a bike without test riding,me no way in HELL i have to ride it, or im thinking the seller is trying to hide something. JIM

I feel the same way. Its one thing if its an 09 with 500miles but when your talking about a bike that 15 years old and has 15000miles you have no idea what its been through and what kind of care was taken of it. So taking it for a test ride helps you get a feel for stuff like that.

Good point. I wouldn't want to buy a bike without a test run. Definately two sides of this discussion, and both have good thoughts. Perhaps following the person in a car would help deter a theft, but doesn't help if they crash it. The way people sue nowadays, you can't be too careful.

there should be some sort of 'standard' doc for this that should absolve you of a lot of liability. i know its tough, but its a good idea. i've sold shit-kicker bikes i had no worries about someone taking off with them. cash in hand is pretty typical though.

when i sold my vmax i went for a ride with him on my roommates yzf and he understood, but we had conversed. its all about feel.

I am one that would not be comfortable with buying a bike I could not test ride. I drove over 4 hrs one way to look at my bike. I would have turned around and went home without it had he not let me test ride it. But, I showed up cash in hand, in a truck with ramp ready to take the bike home, and would have gladly signed something to limit his liability had I done any damage.....

I stick by my 3 rules.
License.
Cash.
Sign on the dotted line.

A few good points were made about the fact we live in such a litigious society. It might be worth the effort to write in your little paper that the test rider waives any writes to sue for damages for any reason whatsoever or some crap....Anyone here a lawyer?

geek law. maybe he could write something up for us quick to use. obviously not end all of be all but at least something that would help if it got taken to court.

I ???????????.Assume full responsibility for any and all damages to this 2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R motorcycle, any property or persons while test riding. If any damage is caused to the bike under my care (test ride) I will pay for all repairs or buy the motorcycle for the asking price of $5900 within one week of damage. The seller determines who fixes the motorcycle if damages occur. I have shown the seller proof of my motorcycle endorsement and stated that I am capable of riding this size (1000cc) motorcycle and I am not under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. By signing below I understand and agree to the terms stated in this contract.

Test rider (buyer) signature ????????????????Date??????..

Driver license number??????????????????????????..

Sellers signature??????????????????Date??????.

I drove 4hrs. to look at my '99 when I bought it, the guy asked me if I wanted to drive it and I told him no, I would prefer that he drive it instead.

You can tell a lot from a bike by the way it starts, warms up and idles. Then, after a lengthy detailed inspection, with him driving and me standing at the end of the driveway he went up through the gears while I listened and looked for smoke.

Then back by, in 5th at WOT and I was satisfied.

It had been quite a few years since my last bike and I was not comfortable driving a strange bike, especially a V Max, and being able to accurately assess the condition of it. Think I got more info the way I did it.

I guess this whole thing comes down to 'know who you're dealing with,' check them over carefully, bullshit for a while, get a feel for who they are. Did the guy show up with his wife and kids, or 6 bro's from 'the hood'? Are you comfortable with the person or not?

I guess some kind of signed document is OK if it makes YOU feel better, but if this guy wrecks the bike, rest assurred he won't just hand you the $'s to repair it....you're gonna have to sue him to get it!

And, if the worst happens, and the guy gets killed, you better be prepared to fight a wrongful death suit....which you will prolly lose.

is that 'legally binding'?

Not sure if it is " legally binding" but it can't hurt. I figure IF I decide to let someone test ride the bike I have something to take to court. I'm going to avoid the test drive thing if at all possible. If I don't feel comfortable with the person, not a chance of a test ride!

When I bought my 85 ZL 900 eliminator (new) He never let me test drive. I never push the issue and I didn't care because I was going to get the bike no matter what.
The Vmax I got from Billydroveit from the forum. He had posted asking you guys the same question about letting someone test drive his bike. I prior to looking at it, sent him $500.00 to hold the bike so I could look at it and I guess when he saw I had driven 5 hours with a truck and trailer and had cash it was alright to let me test drive it. Although To be perfectly honest it had been several years since I had ridden a motorcycle, but I didn't announce that.
Tim

Latest posts

Back